Why become a member? ×

Miming on TOTP's

thebrig

12 hours ago, Hobbayne said:

Didnt they have plastic cymbals painted gold, so they did not make any sound when they were hit?

Would have been quite interesting to hear a band miming with live cymbal crashing. xD

Plus the inch thick foam rubber mats on all the drums...

On 14/01/2018 at 18:10, fleabag said:

That looks more like a foldback problem than any deliberate attempt not to bother. I remember seeing a now famous Pebble Mill at One act who had the same problem. Cant remember the band though

Gene Pitney? I remember that...

Say what you like about TOTP being contrived and controlled by the old boy network.  Those of us who were there watching the telly at seven O'clock every Thursday evening are still talking about it and remembering artists as if they had attended the performances themselves.

Thirty years from now, I don't think we'll remember so many of the equally good, sometimes better, artists of today even with instantaneous global communication and clever marketing.  In its day TOTP was the sole source of video* promotion for bands.  Apart from posters, album artwork and pop magazines you could only guess what a band might look like as you listened to a low-fi MW transistor radio.  God forbid that you should tune that lovely warm sounding valve radio set to a pop station.  Your parents would have a fit.

Today there are so many promoters and outlets for video that that marketing power has been diluted for them all.

In this century, mistakes are easy to edit out and that perfect image of how the promoter wants you to be seen is preserved in binary forever.  As a consequence of quality editing it is rare to see the day to day foul-ups that occur.  These days the bits that are edited out are kept for collectors of bloopers who are looking to market a collection of out-takes.  More revenue for someone I suppose.

Personally, I like to see how bands used to cope with stuff like that when they were dropped in it, so to speak.  Today everyone has the option of 'phoning a friend' if they're the slightest bit uncomfortable.

*In this instance, just for convenience, lets ignore the fact that the term video became popular later.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lojo said:

Slightly of Topic but I only just found out the Guy from Boney M didn't sing on any records , it wa the German producers voice 

Frank Farian. And Milli Vanilli was his brainchild. The biggest musical scam of the 90's.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2017/12/07/milli-vanilli-scandal/