Why become a member? ×

Active Bass Batteries

steantval

[quote name='steve-soar' post='327983' date='Nov 12 2008, 10:12 PM']Mine go flat and start distorting every couple of months but I do play them quite a bit.[/quote]
Wow, what basses do you use? Do you leave them plugged in all the time? Cos that will drain the battery. It takes most people 3 years or so to run one down. I have 3 active basses, had one for over a year and i've never had to change the batteries. Though i'd probably do it every year or two to be on the safe side and use duracells.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='327983' date='Nov 12 2008, 10:12 PM']Mine go flat and start distorting every couple of months but I do play them quite a bit.[/quote]

mmm, i had that happen with my sterling til it twigged that leaving the lead plugged in was draining the battery. :) haven't had to change it since (almost a year)

x

Hmmm Mine used to go flat every three months too, and I though that was reasonable (not having any other active basses to compare against :)) These days I use rechargeables, and stick a full one in every gig. There's no reason why all preamps should have the same current drain though. I guess cheap basses (mines the yamaha 375) have cheap preamps with higher drain?.

[quote name='SteveO' post='328084' date='Nov 13 2008, 07:21 AM']These days I use rechargeables, and stick a full one in every gig. There's no reason why all preamps should have the same current drain though. I guess cheap basses (mines the yamaha 375) have cheap preamps with higher drain?.[/quote]
Same here. All my actives (apart from the Eagle) are oldies and suck batteries dry in no time compared to modern pre-amps. The new Ni-Mh rechargables hold much more charge than the old Ni-Cd ones and are pretty cheap now - use them in my pedal too

[quote name='SteveO' post='328084' date='Nov 13 2008, 07:21 AM']There's no reason why all preamps should have the same current drain though. I guess cheap basses (mines the yamaha 375) have cheap preamps with higher drain?.[/quote]

Some of the 'higher spec' preamps actually have a higher drain too! I prefer the sound of running mine on an 18v system.. which is unfortunately a case of having to replace two batteries at a time. However, thankfully I don't need to do that for a very long time!

Older circuits are definitely less kind to batteries than the newer designs. When I was regularly rehearsing and gigging with my Overwater Original bass, it's 80s active electronics would get through a battery every couple of months (approx 1-2 hours use per day). In all of my basses with pre-amps made since the mid 90s the batteries last well over a year.

My old Precision Lyte used to eat batteries with amazing ferocity, so then had a £10 mod done and it was sorted.
This was after an embarassing gig when I had about 20 secs of fuzzy output, and then nothing!! Always think an active/passive switch on a bass makes perfect sense for these situations so you can at least finish the set in passive mode.
Now using a Sterling, and I usually change the battery when i re-string to be on the safe side to prevent the above.(Am guessing Musicman
circuits don't operate with no battery power?). Never yet had a problem with this method.
Like previous post, I then put my used battery in a tuner etc when they still go on for ages!
After trying various brands, think Duracell ProCells are the best 9volt batteries- available on ebay etc for around a quid a throw if you buy a few.

[quote name='SteveO' post='328084' date='Nov 13 2008, 07:21 AM']Hmmm Mine used to go flat every three months too, and I though that was reasonable (not having any other active basses to compare against :)) These days I use rechargeables, and stick a full one in every gig. There's no reason why all preamps should have the same current drain though. I guess cheap basses (mines the yamaha 375) have cheap preamps with higher drain?.[/quote]
The peavey millenium series are famous for draining batteries in a couple of months. My tobias is a cheap bass though and i've had the same battery in for ages.

I have a Vintage Stingray copy and I've changed the battery once in 3 years. Duracell+ as it happens. The cheap alkalines form teh PoundShop last just as well in my active guitar though so I dont think its the brand. Just remember to unplug and they last for ages.

My old thrown together Status/homemade Bass would take 2 years,and that was a 18v...My EMG'd fretless is the same...saying that my old 9v Ibanez from 84 like a fresh one once a year,but I often just run that in Passive mode.

I prefer 18v circuits,just do,I just feel more confident with them,though onstage...its psycological superstition on my part methinks.

I change the batteries in the Status basses anually. They're not dead by that point by any means, but it makes sure I never go distorted or dead on a gig! People have said that the Yamaha TRB's use a lot of power, but I use mine a lot for shows & jazz jobs. Again, the batteries seem to last for a very long time.

On the plus side (geddit?!), I'm doing a week of "Anything Goes" this week & the engineer gave me a whole box of part used 9v batteries. (They use them for one night only in the radio mics! So they're only slightly used.)

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='328743' date='Nov 13 2008, 11:07 PM']I change the batteries in the Status basses anually. They're not dead by that point by any means, but it makes sure I never go distorted or dead on a gig! People have said that the Yamaha TRB's use a lot of power, but I use mine a lot for shows & jazz jobs. Again, the batteries seem to last for a very long time.

On the plus side (geddit?!), I'm doing a week of "Anything Goes" this week & the engineer gave me a whole box of part used 9v batteries. (They use them for one night only in the radio mics! So they're only slightly used.)

Rich.[/quote]
Do you get a weird 'Whistley' noise on Yammies when the actives are just about to die?

[quote name='Shaggy' post='328096' date='Nov 13 2008, 07:54 AM']Same here. All my actives (apart from the Eagle) are oldies and suck batteries dry in no time compared to modern pre-amps. The new Ni-Mh rechargables hold much more charge than the old Ni-Cd ones and are pretty cheap now - use them in my pedal too[/quote]
Based on personal experience I would recommend against using rechargables in a bass unless you have a passive mode. When the rechargables lose current they collapse in minutes. With non-rechargables, the power drains more slowly giving you more warning to change. I buy 9v Durcel Procells in bulk off Ebay.

[quote name='ARGH' post='328738' date='Nov 13 2008, 10:52 PM']My old thrown together Status/homemade Bass would take 2 years,and that was a 18v...My EMG'd fretless is the same...saying that my old 9v Ibanez from 84 like a fresh one once a year,but I often just run that in Passive mode.

I prefer 18v circuits,just do,I just feel more confident with them,though onstage...its psycological superstition on my part methinks.[/quote]
I dont think 18V ones last longer... they just have more output...

if my batteries pass the tongue check, they are good to use! when a battery is running low, your sound will start to distort, particularly the bassier strings, just make sure it suitably zaps your tongue before going on stage and its all good. change once a year-18months should be about right for a standard active