Why become a member? ×

1st rehearsal cancelled !!!

dmccombe7

If it wasn't for bad luck i'd have none at all.

New band i had joined few weeks back had scheduled first rehearsal for tomorrow night.

Got a txt message tonight from the singer who started and runs the band saying he has a serious domestic issue enough to put his marriage at risk and will need to cancel the rehearsal and put band on hold for time being..

No idea what it is and i've only known him for about a month or so.

I'd already put a lot of work learning the 6 initial songs in past few weeks but decided to learn all 12-13 songs they had listed as being part of their previous set.

Now i'm not sure whether to just wait and see what's gonna happen or just start looking for another band.

There have been several delays with this band from work related to studying for exams issues (mature student) and then one of the guitarists couldn't manage the first band meet and then couldn't manage the suggested rehearsal dates and eventually 6-8 weeks later we agreed a rehearsal date.

Any thoughts on way forward

Dave 

Things might resolve themselves and you might have a band after all, or a band minus a singer. Finding another singer might be easier than a whole band. One of the other guys might find something and need a bass player. Keep in touch with all of them, but in the mean time keep looking around for other opportunities. Definitely don't blow it out, keep on the back burner.

On the other hand, they might be giving you the brush off. Call one of the other guys and see what their reaction is.

9 hours ago, T-Bay said:

Bit harsh guys, it could be a sign of things to come but it could also be a genuine one off case. Sh1t happens, sad that people would suggest sacking something off on the back of so little information.

a bit harsh perhaps, but several weeks to organise the first rehersal?

Im sure work, personal crisis and exam commitments make it hard to juggle but several weeks?

Think i'm gonna keep it on hold for a short while but start searching to see what else is out there.

Just to answer some of the points mentioned so far.

Drummer lives 90miles away and doesn't drive so jamming with him is gonna be difficult. The singer usually picks him up and drops him off as he lives central to rest of the band.

Other guys from the band contacted me when they got same message so i'm guessing its a genuine reason.

Its been approx 2 months since i joined and now 1st rehearsal is cancelled perhaps for genuine reasons but its a bit like Boy that cried Wolf for me.

If you are committed to a band then you should be rehearsing every week to get things moving. Its got to a point that i'm losing focus and interest in learning the songs because the rehearsal was so far away from when i first joined. I've never experienced that before.

I've only met the guys once at my house and they came across as genuine nice guys but one meet doesn't really tell you what they are really like.

I'm one of those guys that always puts in 100% for a band i'm in. I put the work in between rehearsals to make sure i'm never the one holding the band up because i missed something. I write everything out so that there is no confusion on song structures. I never miss a rehearsal and i'm never late for them either. I'm always available even at short notice for rehearsal or gig. I make the effort to be available when called on.

I expect everyone else to be like minded but doesn't always work out that way.

Dave

11 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

If it wasn't for bad luck i'd have none at all.

New band i had joined few weeks back had scheduled first rehearsal for tomorrow night.

Got a txt message tonight from the singer who started and runs the band saying he has a serious domestic issue enough to put his marriage at risk and will need to cancel the rehearsal and put band on hold for time being..

No idea what it is and i've only known him for about a month or so.

I'd already put a lot of work learning the 6 initial songs in past few weeks but decided to learn all 12-13 songs they had listed as being part of their previous set.

Now i'm not sure whether to just wait and see what's gonna happen or just start looking for another band.

There have been several delays with this band from work related to studying for exams issues (mature student) and then one of the guitarists couldn't manage the first band meet and then couldn't manage the suggested rehearsal dates and eventually 6-8 weeks later we agreed a rehearsal date.

Any thoughts on way forward

Dave 

How many others are there in the band Dave?  Might it be possible to take over the reins, for the interim at least, with another vocalist?

This is not a band. Its a bunch of people that like the idea but have no real time for it.  One of them has no transport (that's been a huge debate here) and the fact that he has to rely on a flakey member highlights my point of view on this subject alone.

I bet if they all got in a room right this very minute you would probably be the only one that has learnt all the material. It looks to me like you may never know if I'm right about this one so I can safely hedge  my bets.

I would keep it friendly with them but actively seek  out new people. If one of them is ok and has no issues or dramas lurking in the background maybe that's one less new band member you need to find.

It sucks looking for new band members and getting a start up going and even then it can take months and months to get just a set together, but persevere. Its got to start somewhere. If you want something doing properly...

To be fair to them the singer and drummer were running a very successful band last year doing some really good gigs and gigging regularly which is why i was interested when approached by them.

The drummer keeps all his gigging gear at the singers house and gets train down for rehearsals and either train back home or singer drops him off. Singer is approx 40miles from drummer.

Got the feelers out again to see what's out there and will wait to see what comes up. I'm usually getting calls or emails from bands looking for a bassist but not at the moment. Must be because Xmas is coming up and everyone is already in a band and sorted. xD

Dave

I'm kind of in agreement that this sounds like its not gonna happen, however my own personal band circumstances - geographically there are 238 miles between furthest flung band members, we meet up for practice once every blue moon, and several members are involved in 'other projects' of various denominations.

However, its the most fun I've ever had with a bunch of like minded plonkers....sorry, band mates, we're travelling all over the UK and to be honest we aint doing too bad. Only you can decide if this is worth waiting out, but for my two penneth, Id say don't go burning any bridges just yet, but obviously keep your eyes open.

(Also) dave

Edited by sprocketflup
  • Like 2

I am in something similar. We have been going for a year had three practices with about a dozen different members coming in and out within this time, with the setlist changing significantly within this time. I treat is a a maybe project and will only now learn the tracks to jam level  a day before any rehersal. I am also looking at other projects and keeping investments in this one to a minimum. I feel your pain.

• Like 1

I've had something very similar happen to me in the last couple of months.

Got contacted by a friend of a friend (a guitarist, I know him to say hello to) who's spent the last year or so putting a band together and they had just started getting some gigs and coverage.  But his bass player, drummer and singer quit for assorted (and apparently genuine - I did check) reasons, do I fancy it?  I say why not, he says that he may not be able to do anything until the New Year for other reasons, but he'll send me some tracks to work on.  No problem, I have other stuff going on.

In the meantime I find a drummer and singer (just by chatting to a couple of mates in the pub) and forward their details - great, it's all coming together...

...get the message back that "something major has come up, not sure when I'm going to have time to get back to the band, it'll have to be on hold for now"

Doesn't phase me at all.  If the guitarist gets it all together and the band happens then great.  But for now it's not happening so I'll carry on with other stuff.  There's no practical difference to me whether there is a band which isn't rehearsing right now or no band at all.  Don't need to burn any bridges or spit my dummy out, I only have a decision to make if the guitarist ever sorts his life out.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

I've had something very similar happen to me in the last couple of months.

Got contacted by a friend of a friend (a guitarist, I know him to say hello to) who's spent the last year or so putting a band together and they had just started getting some gigs and coverage.  But his bass player, drummer and singer quit for assorted (and apparently genuine - I did check) reasons, do I fancy it?  I say why not, he says that he may not be able to do anything until the New Year for other reasons, but he'll send me some tracks to work on.  No problem, I have other stuff going on.

In the meantime I find a drummer and singer (just by chatting to a couple of mates in the pub) and forward their details - great, it's all coming together...

...get the message back that "something major has come up, not sure when I'm going to have time to get back to the band, it'll have to be on hold for now"

Doesn't phase me at all.  If the guitarist gets it all together and the band happens then great.  But for now it's not happening so I'll carry on with other stuff.  There's no practical difference to me whether there is a band which isn't rehearsing right now or no band at all.  Don't need to burn any bridges or spit my dummy out, I only have a decision to make if the guitarist ever sorts his life out.

That all sounds very familiar to me. I'm more or less thinking same as you. Don't burn bridges but keep a look out for something and if it happens it happens and if not move on to the next project..

Dave

I'd bail mentally.  Keep on good terms but start looking elsewhere as even if it does get off of the ground it is most likely going to be a bumpy ride with guys like that.  I'd start looking for something else but keep in contact with these guys incase it gets going and I assume you like the music, which quite a big part I find

Edited by AScars
Read full thread