Why become a member? ×

Pre Gig Rituals

HeavyJay

I generally make sure I'm all tuned up (a number of times in an OCD kind of way), definitely go for a whizz and make sure my tie is straight!

Other than that, as long as I've got a pint of Guinness next to me I'm good to go!

Anyone else want to share their pre-gig rituals? From the mundane to the bizarre, all welcome! I used to know a drummer that needed to do press-ups before going on, drummers eh?

Disclaimer: Shamelessly nicked thread idea from the TalkBass.com forum.

I just make sure I turn up early so I can set up in a calm and collected state of mind with some chill time before the off. I really hate to get there, switch on and play straight away. Can't get into the Zone that way.

I read that the Mahavishnu Orchestra used to ask for a minutes silence before they played and then hit the audience with a wall of sonic chaos! Cool :)

I like to have a shower just before I leave, and on the way there I take some antiseptic wipes and have a quick rub down before I get to the gig and then I pop in to the shower. Then I like to have another quick shower before I unload the car followed by another quick shower and then a quick shower before I have a quick shower and then I set up. Then, just before soundcheck, I'll have a quick shower and make sure I'm nice and clean before I have a quick shower and then after soundcheck I have a quick shower before relaxing in a nice hot bath. Then its another quick shower followed by a quick scrub down with dettol and another quick shower before I have a quick shower to put me in the right mood for a quick shower.

After I've changed and dressed, I have another quick shower and then check whether the hot food is ready before having a quick shower and a change of clothes. Then its another quick shower and I pop back to the Gents for a quick wash before popping back in the shower for a scrub with dettol and a wire brush. Then, just before we're about to go on, I have a quick shower and a change of clothes.

Call me superstitious if you like, but if I don't go through me little ritual then I'm useless during the first set...

Go for a wee about 8 times, tune up about 6 times, remind myself of what the lyrics are to various chorus parts I sing, check straplocks about 5 times and then finally prize my tongue from the roof of my completely dried up mouth using a screwdriver, check my flies and then glide on serenely with my heart trying to escape through my ribcage.

And then tune up once more. Or maybe twice

Funny though, one song in and I'm completely relaxed and in the zone.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='crez5150' post='319025' date='Oct 31 2008, 01:17 PM']Most of the band are too busy checking out the totty to worry about the gig..... :)[/quote]
That's certainly my pre-gig ritual. Plus OCD hand washing coz I like clean hands when I'm playing bass.

if it's a big gig and the opertunities there (ie, not playing in a pub with no backstage), then the whole band gather in a circle and say a load of motivational crap to each other like

"lets give this audience more than what they paid for" (if it's full)
"lets make sure the people who didn't bother to come tonight really regret it!" (if it's empty)
etc etc

and then positive reminders such as

"lets keep the rhythm tight, steady and controlled, i want people to ask us if we were playing to a click track"
"i want to see your singing make someone weep with joy"
etc etch

once everyones been complemented and the plan of attack defined. scream, make weird noises, stamp your feet, shake & jump and head out onto the stage.

i know it all sounds silly/obvious/weird, but the difference that this makes is literally immense. if you get the oppertunity to try it, do it!

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='319034' date='Oct 31 2008, 01:26 PM']I like to have a shower just before I leave, and on the way there I take some antiseptic wipes and have a quick rub down before I get to the gig and then I pop in to the shower. Then I like to have another quick shower before I unload the car followed by another quick shower and then a quick shower before I have a quick shower and then I set up. Then, just before soundcheck, I'll have a quick shower and make sure I'm nice and clean before I have a quick shower and then after soundcheck I have a quick shower before relaxing in a nice hot bath. Then its another quick shower followed by a quick scrub down with dettol and another quick shower before I have a quick shower to put me in the right mood for a quick shower.

After I've changed and dressed, I have another quick shower and then check whether the hot food is ready before having a quick shower and a change of clothes. Then its another quick shower and I pop back to the Gents for a quick wash before popping back in the shower for a scrub with dettol and a wire brush. Then, just before we're about to go on, I have a quick shower and a change of clothes.

Call me superstitious if you like, but if I don't go through me little ritual then I'm useless during the first set...[/quote]

All that and you still stink!