Why become a member? ×

Your Requirements For Joining A Band

blue

For me, my requirements are based at the bar band level.

1. Established with a book of decent paying gigs through 2017. Gigging at least twice a week.

2. Intelligent honest trustworthy people.

3. Owns a decent PA and lights.

4. Has at least one person with a background in business and marketing that that has been successfully applied to the band.

5. Structure, in terms of how the band operates.

6. Last but not least, they must have a star. Preferably a young, sincere experienced attractive female.

I would never join a band that didn't have a top notch front person.

7.Distance of gigs and rehearsal must be realistic.

Of course there's a degree of flexibility.

Blue

Edited by blue

no cover band heroes

original music only so they must be able to come up with their own parts

own transport a must

a working knowledge of music theory.

no time wasters

if they are a singer, they MUST have their own PA, we have our own amps and guitars, it's only fair.

I'm not as picky as Blue.

Must have a drummer that can hold time & play to a decent level.
Must have another musician who actually knows what they're doing (this usually applies to guitarists).
Singer should be an actual singer & not some bedroom karaoke bam.
Everyone should be able to understand songwriting & have some knowledge of theory.
We all need to gel.

I think King Prawn & Bazztard have requirements along the lines of what I look at too.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1495690972' post='3305823']
no cover band heroes

original music only so they must be able to come up with their own parts

own transport a must

a working knowledge of music theory.

no time wasters

if they are a singer, they MUST have their own PA, we have our own amps and guitars, it's only fair.
[/quote]

This pretty much sums it up, but I will include:

The band members have to pass the dickhead test. If there is a dickhead (or dickheads) within the ranks, walk away.

Have a party attitude viz gigs. I dont want to be around showboaters and general egomaniacs with a 'look at me aren't i great' attitude. It should be all about putting on entertainment with an upbeat party vibe that gets the crowd involved. I don't like playing the sorts of 'us and them' gig with the crowd just watching and occasionally clapping.

Will stand their round when it comes to getting the beers in. I can't stand tightwads, especially in pubs, the sort that hang back and offer to get the drinks in when everyone has gone onto halves and orange juice

What Blue said :-)
For me, having a great drummer is the key, and of course a great singer. Everything else hangs nicely off that.
People with the same level of commitment that you have, whatever yours is. And once a gig's booked, IT'S BOOKED.
On a practical level, I'd find it impossible to operate without a proper group calendar for booking stuff.

I've been asked to join a local band as their keys player.. No proper singer as of yet and two guitarists.

A number of things put me off..

1. Two guitarists = no space except for making funny noises/doing intros.
2. Really matey - like spending time with each other socially and getting drunk..
3. Material is ageing badly in my opinion.
4. No proper rehearsal space (they rehearse in basically a bedroom studio).
5. Resistant to playing more contemporary material.

I think I've answered my own question :-)

Every member should have all there own teeth. This is negotiable if they are a superb musician.

No, and I repeat, no waistcoats or trilbies. They are an "Old man in a band" cliche. You can be as old as you like but dont be a caricature.

No ponytails, unless you are a woman.

All members must have a well developed sense of humor, take the music seriously, but not themselves.

Members must be reliable and dependable.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1495705453' post='3305952']
Interesting, I would have thought realistic travel time and distance would have been a common requirement

Blue
[/quote]

Probably no one listed that as its a given, who in there right mind would drive 150 miles every Wednesday night for rehearsals?

An important issue for me would be to have someone who is prepared to negotiate a playing volume that suits everyone and who won't drown others out with excess volume. In my experience this would generally apply to guitarists.

Granted, this would come under the "professional attitude" banner, but I thought it was worth a mention.

Are they going to gig, as that`s a must, and do they have a particular image as if it`s one I don`t like, nah not for me. Additionally if playing originals is any of the material politically or religiously affiliated as that`s a def no-no for me. From there, well you just have to take it as it comes.

Will it pay me enough to raise 3 kids comfortably in an increasingly expensive London, while leaving me enough time at home to actually be a good Dad?

Lol... that's why it can never be about he money for me.

Interesting Music, Nice, reliable people, and a desire to gig. That'll do for me!