Why become a member? ×

Artists/Bands that all sound alike...

EBS_freak

Was listening to the radio this morning and a clip of Dave Edmunds and Queen Of Hearts came on... a song that to me, could quite easily be a Traveling Wilbury's track. It's certainly got that signature sound... and they all kinda give a nod to the Everly Bros and Buddy Holly too I guess.

Has anybody get similar parallels when they hear tracks that aren't by the artists that you would expect to be performing them - give examples.

And yes, it's inevitable that the Beatles/Oasis thing is bound to come up! :P

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1493116029' post='3285678']
Was listening to the radio this morning and a clip of Dave Edmunds and Queen Of Hearts came on... a song that to me, could quite easily be a Traveling Wilbury's track. It's certainly got that signature sound... and they all kinda give a nod to the Everly Bros and Buddy Holly too I guess.

Has anybody get similar parallels when they hear tracks that aren't by the artists that you would expect to be performing them - give examples.

And yes, it's inevitable that the Beatles/Oasis thing is bound to come up! :P
[/quote]

Oasis are imo possibly the most overrated band ever, they manage to rip off countless other bands without actually capturing what made those bands so good in the first place

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1493117737' post='3285704']
On the Hard Rock front AC/DC were cloned by Kix and Rhino Bucket, amongst others.
[/quote]

I'll add Airborne to that, the only AC/DC tribute band to not play any AC/DC :D

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1493118074' post='3285710']
Thin Lizzy and The Black Star Riders are pretty similar, probably due to Scott Gorham being in both.
[/quote]

Well to be fair, BSR is effectively the band Scott has been touring as Lizzy for some years since he and John Sykes last parted ways. IIRC they went into the studio as "Lizzy" to record the first album as a new "Lizzy" album then decided half way through that it was a bit crass and disrespectful to Phil so decided release it under an separate band name and came up with Black Star Riders.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? I just watched the movie "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" a crappy movie from the 1970's with Kris Kristofferson and Bob Dylan. Bob did the music tracks and played a Tex-Mex style similar to "The Texas Tornado's" who didn't form until years lator but were individually incorporating this style years earlier.