Why become a member? ×

Fave Deep Purple Song?

Billy Apple

9 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Did they do "Hush"?

That one.

yes they did a cover of Hush,,,,,,i like the Beatles cover they did ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe not.

Mary Long,,,,on who do we think we are ,in fact i really like the whole album.

My mate was into Deep Purple so when we started a band together (our first), Purple songs were on the list. 'Highway Star' was the one we settled on. As the guitarist (I had yet to discover the 4 string light) I struggled with the solo, but we got the song working really tightly. Inevitably, we toyed with 'Smoke on the Water' (it was the first thing I was shown how to play on 6 string) but it never made the set until one night at a charity gig with a multi band line-up. We lucked out and got a good slot and as we finished our last song, we were asked to extend our set by the compare. We played 'Brick in the Wall' and 'Smoke on the Water', neither properly rehearsed. In rehearsal we'd often play 'The Mule' as a jam but that never made the set either. In a different band we played 'Hush'. I always wanted to play 'Perfect Strangers' but we never got the chance.

My favourite Purple song, therefore, is Highway Star. It has memories attached - a great song that we listened to growing up, the way the band came together as we worked on playing it, the way I never really nailed the guitar solo and the lump in my throat when they played it at my mate's funeral.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

Ted the Mechanic.  Love this from the Morse era.  Vocal is half spoken so Gillan's shot voice doesn't really matter.

Amazing that they still tour, where 80% of the set is mk2 material, considering Gillans voice being shot. At his peak he was incredible, but that is a while ago now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chezz55 said:

A difficult one to call, but I think my favourite is ..........................

And one of the best covers of Deep Purple's  Highway Star is ..........................

Cracking!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

For me: Lazy. Partly because we used to play it in a band I was in (which also did SOTW).

EDIT: Just noticed how old this thread is, and that I have already nominated Lazy - Back in 2017!!

To be fair, it is a great song and hasn't changed much in 6 years. :) 

• Like 1

Bolin was a guitar god. Way out of Blackmore's league. As an aside from Purple stuff, check out Billy Cobham's album  Spectrum for some Bolin acrobatics

He played with jazzers Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Alphonse Mouzon as well

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Bolin was a guitar god. Way out of Blackmore's league. As an aside from Purple stuff, check out Billy Cobham's album  Spectrum for some Bolin acrobatics

He played with jazzers Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Alphonse Mouzon as well

Yea, I'm a big fan. His first solo album (Teaser) has always been one of my top 5 Desert Island Disks! Spectrum is a great album as well - a fusion album with tunes, great playing and the drum part that Van Halen ripped off for Hot For Teacher! 

He didn't actually play with Mahavishnu Orchestra, although both Billy Cobham (obviously) and Jan Hammer were on Spectrum. I've never heard Mind Transplant (the Alphonse Mouzon album he played on). Any good? 

19 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Used to play Perfect Strangers in a DP tribute back in 2012.

I always had a soft spot for Knocking at Your Back Door, despite it having some the dumbest lyrics I've ever heard (even by Ian Gillan's very high standards - so bad it's brilliant). 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, peteb said:

He didn't actually play with Mahavishnu Orchestra, although both Billy Cobham (obviously) and Jan Hammer were on Spectrum. I've never heard Mind Transplant (the Alphonse Mouzon album he played on). Any good? 

Yes, i think he played with ex Orchestra players rather than the band themselves, so thanks for the correction.  Mind transplant is sublime

Dont wanna interupt a Purple thread anymore so do a YT search for Mouzon's  Snowbound - terrific track

• Like 1

Burn.  

My introduction to DP.

Up till then I though Paul Rogers was the best rock singer I’d heard. Coverdale blew me away on that track.
Hughes’ contribution was an eye opener too.

Paice is a bundle of energy. 

As an aside, Come Taste The Band is my favourite DP album. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldslapper said:

Burn.  

My introduction to DP.

Up till then I though Paul Rogers was the best rock singer I’d heard. Coverdale blew me away on that track.
Hughes’ contribution was an eye opener too.

Paice is a bundle of energy. 

As an aside, Come Taste The Band is my favourite DP album. 

Yea, I think that Coverdale from the late DP era, solo albums & early Whitesnake was right up there with Rodgers. Actually, he might possibly be my favourite singer (from that era at least). 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, peteb said:

Yea, I think that Coverdale from the late DP era, solo albums & early Whitesnake was right up there with Rogers. Actually, he might possibly be my favourite singer (from that era at least). 

I see them a little differently now. 
Rodger’s is a little subtler, definitely my favourite blues singer, whereas DC is my favourite “belter”. Wish I could sing like either. Agree about the early whitesnake, proper rawk