Why become a member? ×

Fave Deep Purple Song?

Billy Apple

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I saw you mention this earlier too and wasn't aware of that either. I'm learning more about DP and Coverdale early days than i thought possible. I always assumed i knew the history but NOPE you can teach an old dog new tricks after all.

I'm afraid that I am a fount of knowledge / trivia about 70s blues rock...! 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, peteb said:

It's unfortunate that the stuff he had his biggest hits with was when he started singing in a slightly different register, IMO losing the quality that made his voice so great in the first place. 

Wasn't that something to do with the operation he had on his sinuses between Slide it in and 87. Wasn't he out of action for a year or two.

I remember hearing an interview with Def Leppard around Hysteria and Joe Elliot was saying he was just happy that Cov was back and able to sing again.

I love Coverdale and think he still sounds good on 87. But that was his last hurrah in terms of the top of his range. He sounds awful on Slip of the Tongue. Still awesome in lower register tho.

Edited by Lord Sausage

19 hours ago, Lord Sausage said:

Wasn't that something to do with the operation he had on his sinuses between Slide it in and 87. Wasn't he out of action for a year or two.

Oh yes, the operation that caused him to start singing like Vince Neil* and speaking like Roger Moore playing Widow Twanky**! It also caused them to stop production of the 1987 album with just the vocals to do, Sykes to suggest that they get another singer in to finish the album, Coverdale to fire Sykes for even thinking of that and then to supposedly lock himself in a car to stop Sykes from beating him up...!! *** 

* OK, a slight exaggeration

** Not much of an exaggeration

*** All 'allegedly' 

Edited by peteb
  • Haha 2

Was listening to Speed King from 'In Rock today (2018 vinyl remaster- big improvement on the original IMO). It's the first song on side one and is a real statement of intent in terms of putting DP right up there with the best hard rock bands IMO. Incredible song and a real game changer of an album.

• Like 1