Why become a member? ×

Fave Deep Purple Song?

Billy Apple

49 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

I see them a little differently now. 
Rodger’s is a little subtler, definitely my favourite blues singer, whereas DC is my favourite “belter”. Wish I could sing like either. Agree about the early whitesnake, proper rawk 

Remember, Coverversion got the DP gig because Paul Rodgers (who Blackmore originally wanted) wasn't available! If you listen to Northwinds, (DC's second solo album), he just has this great blue-eyed soul voice, but could also belt it out as well! The vocal performance on that album is as good as I've heard (in that milieu at least). The pairing of DC and Glenn Hughes in DP worked really well, and was even better with the addition of Tommy Bolin on CTTB. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, peteb said:

If you listen to Northwinds, (DC's second solo album), he just has this great blue-eyed soul voice, but could also belt it out as well! The vocal performance on that album is as good as I've heard (in that milieu at least). 

Thanks for the heads up on that @peteb I’ve not heard it. That’ll be tonight’s Apple Music listen 👍🏻😎

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

Thanks for the heads up on that @peteb I’ve not heard it. That’ll be tonight’s Apple Music listen 👍🏻😎

It's a really good album with a few great songs (Queen of Hearts / Only My Soul, etc). Micky Moody on guitar and co-writing and the great Alan Spenner on bass. Well worth a listen... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, oldslapper said:

I see them a little differently now. 
Rodger’s is a little subtler, definitely my favourite blues singer, whereas DC is my favourite “belter”. Wish I could sing like either. Agree about the early whitesnake, proper rawk 

Rodgers still has a great voice

Whereas Coverdale is well past sell by date. Go to 2.58 on this clip and you will catch my drift

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, leroydiamond said:

Rodgers still has a great voice

20 minutes ago, leroydiamond said:

Whereas Coverdale is well past sell by date. Go to 2.58 on this clip and you will catch my drift

I don't think that anyone is disputing that. Rodgers is one of the last of the great rock singers from the 70s / 80s who is still at something like the top of their game (or near enough at least). Coverdale has sounded pretty awful for years, especially towards the end of a long tour. His voice has long gone. 

However, Coverdale had a 'purple' patch (if you will excuse the pun) from Come Taste the Band, to Northwinds, up to around Come an' Get It. In that period, he was as good (or better) than anyone. It's unfortunate that the stuff he had his biggest hits with was when he started singing in a slightly different register, IMO losing the quality that made his voice so great in the first place. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, peteb said:

I don't think that anyone is disputing that. Rodgers is one of the last of the great rock singers from the 70s / 80s who is still at something like the top of their game (or near enough at least). Coverdale has sounded pretty awful for years, especially towards the end of a long tour. His voice has long gone. 

However, Coverdale had a 'purple' patch (if you will excuse the pun) from Come Taste the Band, to Northwinds, up to around Come an' Get It. In that period, he was as good (or better) than anyone. It's unfortunate that the stuff he had his biggest hits with was when he started singing in a slightly different register, IMO losing the quality that made his voice so great in the first place. 

I agree 100%. I am a big fan of both, with Purple being my favourite band. That's why for me,  It's sad to see Coverdale damage his legacy, particularly on his most recent tour. In his prime he was incredible IMO.

• Like 1

I grew up with In Rock and Machine Head and regard each as being 'of a piece' but I suppose Child In Time stands out as haunting. More recently Perfect Strangers, of course. But in between I really like Might Just Take Your Life but suspect I'm in a minority of one. 

I was brought up on Zep so was glad when DC got JP back into the studio and Coverdale Page is (IMHO) pretty good. I was sorry they only played a handful of dates in Japan before splitting up. But having seen a vid of one of those gigs I can see why they did. DC lampoons about the stage exhorting Nagoya to go crazy (in Ozzy fashion) whereas JP is much more used to the self-reverential approach of RP who saw fronting LZ as some kind of Norse calling with everyone on stage part of some high priesthood. I think JP was shocked to suddenly find himself in Slade!

EDIT:

Just as an aside, I saw The Firm a couple of times. I think the reason why it never worked is that PR is used to singing over chordal song structures whereas RP was happy creating some sort of melodic line over quite unmelodic riffs made up of a succession of single notes. But I know nothing about music theory so this is probably bollox.

Edited by Kitsto

13 hours ago, peteb said:

Remember, Coverversion got the DP gig because Paul Rodgers (who Blackmore originally wanted) wasn't available! If you listen to Northwinds, (DC's second solo album), he just has this great blue-eyed soul voice, but could also belt it out as well! The vocal performance on that album is as good as I've heard (in that milieu at least). The pairing of DC and Glenn Hughes in DP worked really well, and was even better with the addition of Tommy Bolin on CTTB. 

I had no idea DC had 2 solo albums before Whitesnake band started and always thought Trouble was his first album after DP.

Every day a scchool day on BC.

Cheers for that Pete, i'll go have a listen to them now.

Dave

2 hours ago, Kitsto said:

I grew up with In Rock and Machine Head and regard each as being 'of a piece' but I suppose Child In Time stands out as haunting. More recently Perfect Strangers, of course. But in between I really like Might Just Take Your Life but suspect I'm in a minority of one. 

I was brought up on Zep so was glad when DC got JP back into the studio and Coverdale Page is (IMHO) pretty good. I was sorry they only played a handful of dates in Japan before splitting up. But having seen a vid of one of those gigs I can see why they did. DC lampoons about the stage exhorting Nagoya to go crazy (in Ozzy fashion) whereas JP is much more used to the self-reverential approach of RP who saw fronting LZ as some kind of Norse calling with everyone on stage part of some high priesthood. I think JP was shocked to suddenly find himself in Slade!

EDIT:

Just as an aside, I saw The Firm a couple of times. I think the reason why it never worked is that PR is used to singing over chordal song structures whereas RP was happy creating some sort of melodic line over quite unmelodic riffs made up of a succession of single notes. But I know nothing about music theory so this is probably bollox.

Might just take your life is a great track. Burn us probably their best album. 

I was at music college in the 90s when i was 16 and one of lecturers started playing Might just take life on piano. A mate and I were buzzing cos he knew it and he was surprised that we knew it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I had no idea DC had 2 solo albums before Whitesnake band started and always thought Trouble was his first album after DP.

Every day a scchool day on BC.

Cheers for that Pete, i'll go have a listen to them now.

Dave

Queen of Hearts from Northwinds - a bit different from DP, but a nod to the blues rock of early Whitesnake (but a bit more subtle)... 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, peteb said:

Queen of Hearts from Northwinds - a bit different from DP, but a nod to the blues rock of early Whitesnake (but a bit more subtle)... 

To be honest, I was into Trapeze before Purple, so only really listened to Purple when Hughes and Coverdale joined. I think those two voices together were insane. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, peteb said:

Its funny with Paul Rodgers being mentioned i can hear similarities in Coverdale's vocals on this that i had never really noticed before. 

Must admit that i preferred earlier Whitesnake because there was more definition across the band.

This sounds good.

I have the first few Whitesnake albums with Fool for your Loving being one of my fave rock songs.

Dave

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

To be honest, I was into Trapeze before Purple, so only really listened to Purple when Hughes and Coverdale joined. I think those two voices together were insane. 

Oddly enough it was an older guy i worked with that told me about some of the 60's rock bands including Trapeze and Iron Butterfly and when i listened to Trapeze i was fair taken aback with them. Hughes vocals were superb and to this day i still class him as an influence on how i play more so for the tone he gets and the feel of the songs he writes.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Its funny with Paul Rodgers being mentioned i can hear similarities in Coverdale's vocals on this that i had never really noticed before. 

Must admit that i preferred earlier Whitesnake because there was more definition across the band.

This sounds good.

I have the first few Whitesnake albums with Fool for your Loving being one of my fave rock songs.

Dave

I went backwards through Whitesnake. Steve Vai was my entry. I loved Stevie when I was 14, still do. At around that time Greatest hits came out but it was just the Geffen era. They toured at the same time, 94 I think. I saw them at Manchester Apollo. I was 15. It was so uncool to be into that stuff at that age in 94. 

Anyway that got me into late whitesnake and I just went backwards through it and tbh I prefer the early stuff. Come and Get it being the best album to me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Remember that Coverdale got his initial break because Blackmore wanted a singer like Paul Rodgers, but when they asked Rodgers he turned them down as he had just started Bad Company. Coverdale (completely unknown outside the North East at the time) sent in a tape where they thought that his singing had a PR like quality, so he got the audition and then the DP gig!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, peteb said:

Remember that Coverdale got his initial break because Blackmore wanted a singer like Paul Rodgers, but when they asked Rodgers he turned them down as he had just started Bad Company. Coverdale (completely unknown outside the North East at the time) sent in a tape where they thought that his singing had a PR like quality, so he got the audition and then the DP gig!

I saw you mention this earlier too and wasn't aware of that either. I'm learning more about DP and Coverdale early days than i thought possible. I always assumed i knew the history but NOPE you can teach an old dog new tricks after all.

Never too old to learn.

Cheers for this, i like it when i hear little facts from my younger years i wasn't aware off. Its like ddiscovering a long lost song from your fav band.

Dave

• Like 1