Why become a member? ×

Noel Gallagher doesn't like Jazz Music.

bubinga5

For me, a guy that has written so many great record's and (apparently) is a matured writer of great music, to say something so stupid. I really thought he was a bit more clever than this. His apparent idol Paul Weller loves Miles Davis, aswell as Coltrane and many Jazz funk/Soul etc.. I dread to think what his brother thinks.

It just says to me, you haven't really discovered any chords or music out of your own, safe musical world. I sw this this and it made me lack respect for him and any of his great music. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEAiFOZ2uq4[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Downdown' timestamp='1483723579' post='3209624']
Why is it stupid to say he doesn't like jazz (assuming he really doesn't of course)?

And so what if he hasn't discovered any music out of his "own safe musical world"?
[/quote] I take it you have watched the vid. ? Its like saying Rock is, 1 guitarist, a bass player and a drummer, playing 2 chords for the whole record.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1483723403' post='3209619']
It's all scouse banter and should be treated as such. I like the guy.

For the record, Jazz doesn't like Noel Gallagher either.
[/quote]

Scouse? Wrong end of the East Lancs Bilbo.

This has increased my respect for Noel Gallagher immensely.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1483723835' post='3209627']
I take it you have watched the vid. ? Its like saying Rock is, 1 guitarist, a bass player and a drummer, playing 2 chords for the whole record.
[/quote]

I guess it could be, but of course it could also be more - which is fine isn't it?

Each to their own. Why even get upset about it?

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1483725994' post='3209661']
Do you hear me getting upset.?
[/quote]

Sorry, but I 'read' you as being upset based on you calling him out as stupid because of his views.

We're talking about music here and different people like and dislike different stuff. I thought this was a given and didn't warrant abusing people by calling them stupid.

In my youth and early adulthood I was (for reasons which are not germane to the debate) required to attend performances at the Birmingham Jazz Centre Society (as it was then known).

Mr Gallagher's description of several blokes studiously ignoring the audience while diligently playing in different keys and tempos at the same time fits my recollections quite precisely. I suppose there may have been a 'good' act among them but on this point memory fails me as it often does these days.

Perhaps Jazz is different now. I do hope so.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1483723403' post='3209619']
It's all scouse banter and should be treated as such. I like the guy.

For the record, Jazz doesn't like Noel Gallagher either.
[/quote]

Scouse! He's as Mancunian as they come!

I think he's being deliberately controversial as ever but he does have a point in that it is hugely self-indulgent in that proponents expect an audience to sit through their 2/5/1 practise over a set of 50+ year old songs.

Edited by visog

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1483725994' post='3209661']
Do you hear me getting upset.?
[/quote]
well you saw fit to open a thread about it calling him stupid... so you could argue that it irked you enough to do that.

for the record, i don't like jazz either, it grates on my ears.

that said, i have great respect for talented jazz players, i just don't like the genre.