Why become a member? ×

Has anyone here converted a 4 string to a 5 string?

tedmanzie

This is something I intend to do if I can get hold of a P-bass with a C width neck. The required hardware, if you can find one, is a Wilkinson device from yonks ago called a 4+1. It requires no mods to the instrument, except, of course, a new nut. The original kit came complete with a B string! I got the 4+1 off someone here, but have not yet used it...

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1482415881' post='3200360']
This is something I intend to do if I can get hold of a P-bass with a C width neck. The required hardware, if you can find one, is a Wilkinson device from yonks ago called a 4+1. It requires no mods to the instrument, except, of course, a new nut. The original kit came complete with a B string! I got the 4+1 off someone here, but have not yet used it...
[/quote]

Thanks for the info, I seem to have a memory of this device, I must have looked it up at some point.
The 5 strings wouldn't run so neatly between the P-Bass pole pieces, would this be an issue do you think?
And the strings would be slightly angled after the nut but i guess that's not a big deal - the guy on the link above has a string tree.

I seem to remember someone advertising 4 to 5 string conversion kits in guitar mags in the early 90s.

Maybe someone still makes them?

Not sure I see the point though.

Back then 5s still weren't that common and they tended to be a lot more expensive than 4 strings of the same model.

These days they're easily obtainable and normally only a fraction more than the equivalent 4 string.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1482416315' post='3200373']
Thanks for the info, I seem to have a memory of this device, I must have looked it up at some point.
The 5 strings wouldn't run so neatly between the P-Bass pole pieces, would this be an issue do you think?
And the strings would be slightly angled after the nut but i guess that's not a big deal - the guy on the link above has a string tree.
[/quote]

The misalignment over the pickup would have zero effect. But if you're OCD about that sort of thing, it's a definite non-starter! The D string is reversed and anchored at the string tree, tuned at the bridge. There's little change in string angles, but there must be some, I suppose.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1482416185' post='3200368']
There's a guy on eBay, a real guitar 'improver' who can turn a silk purse into a sows ear...
[/quote]

Pretty sure he exclusively works the other way, turning 5 stringers into 4 stringers for those with "builders' hands".

I did it yonks back; shocked a few folks at the time, but it was my one bass for about 20 years, so it definitely worked superbly for me.
It worked a treat, and I still have the same bass in headless form and rather nicely spruced up, if i say so myself:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/44673-ibanez-roadster-megacustom/page__hl__ibanez%20megacustom
At the time, I used an ABM bridge with suitably adjustable spacing. Also used a Schaller 3D for a while. Done similar things with a Schaller 2000 series, which is excellent. Got it at 16.5mm spacing, which is actually rather comfortable.
Obviously I had to use something else once it went headless..

> [color=#323232][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Has anyone here converted a 4 string to a 5 string?[/font][/color]

[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][color="#323232"]God no. You can get perfectly serviceable 5s for the price of a 4 to 5 conversion bridge.[/color][/font]

[color=#323232][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Just buy a 5... unless you actually mean, 'I want to have a go at converting a 4 to 5'... in which case knock yourself out...[/font][/color]

[color=#323232][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]but don't expect anyone to buy the results unless to turn it back to a 4...[/font][/color]