Why become a member? ×

Playing a guitar through a bass amp/cab.

bubinga5

It'll sound fine, but won't give of its best without a pedal or two. A bit of delay, a decent reverb, maybe a spot of overdrive if that's what you like. Electric guitars have their sound greatly through the use of pedals, especially in home practise territory.
Just my tuppence-worth.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1480501411' post='3184824']
It'll sound fine, but won't give of its best without a pedal or two. A bit of delay, a decent reverb, maybe a spot of overdrive if that's what you like. Electric guitars have their sound greatly through the use of pedals, especially in home practise territory.
Just my tuppence-worth.
[/quote]not trying to pick a fight btw, if you've had good results like this good for you, but this is a genuine question (not sarcasm) isn't delay and reverb more or less the same thing?

Technically nothing wrong/unsafe to do this. Yes, you'll have effectively one "sound" from the amp. If you're just starting with 6 string guitar, this is a non-issue though. In fact, it would be better to have that one clean sound to hear, since using effects (especially distortion and compression) will just cover over the true sound of the guitar, leading to sloppy technique.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1480502798' post='3184837']
not trying to pick a fight btw, if you've had good results like this good for you, but this is a genuine question (not sarcasm) isn't delay and reverb more or less the same thing?
[/quote]

Well, technically, reverb is, effectively, a combination of a multitude of 'delays' all superimposed, such as the effect of a cathedral, or large cavern. A single 'delay' is often simply a single repetition, as an echo from a mountain cliff. In practise, they are different effects, which can be used together or individually to great effect (groan...). Do I have any luck with this..? I have, amongst others...) a Fender Bassman 50w, an 'old-school' valve amp. I play guitar through this, into a Fender Bassman 2 x 15 cab (see pic...). To obtain a more fulfilling sound, I play through a Boss Fender Deluxe pedal (in the pedal-board on the right in the photo...), with which I can add delay, reverb and/or overdrive. It sounds fine to me (bear in mind that 1 - I'm 'old-school', and 2 - getting progressively more and more hard of hearing. I've used this same rig for the last 40 years or so, though, so I'm beginning to know how to set it up for my 'style'.
If we're talking home practise, that may be a bit too voluminous for some (not for me; I have all the space I need...), but the notion of playing at home into a (quality...) bass amp, with a reasonable pedal or multi-effect, seems fine to me. What's the alternative, if one is really looking for 'that' guitar sound..? A Fender Twin..? At home..? An inexpensive combo would be fine, but the Aguilar rig will do a good job, too, I'd say.

It will work. For amps, I can honestly say Roland/Boss have hit the ball WAY out of the park with the new Katana range. The 50W 1x12 is only £169 and it has almost EVERYTHING you need, and there are old tube snobs saying it is one of the closest solid states amps to tube that's hit the market. No one can understand the low price. You can practice, gig, record, rehearse, the lot....it has headphone out, usb recording, .5 watt mode, a kickstand, acoustic setting, clean/breakup/brown sound, and some stellar effects. It is the most appealing guitar amp series in a long time....and it's stupidly cheap.

I think they will put that knowledge into a Boss bass amp.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1480504926' post='3184856']

Well, technically, reverb is, effectively, a combination of a multitude of 'delays' all superimposed, such as the effect of a cathedral, or large cavern. A single 'delay' is often simply a single repetition, as an echo from a mountain cliff. In practise, they are different effects, which can be used together or individually to great effect (groan...). Do I have any luck with this..? I have, amongst others...) a Fender Bassman 50w, an 'old-school' valve amp. I play guitar through this, into a Fender Bassman 2 x 15 cab (see pic...). To obtain a more fulfilling sound, I play through a Boss Fender Deluxe pedal (in the pedal-board on the right in the photo...), with which I can add delay, reverb and/or overdrive. It sounds fine to me (bear in mind that 1 - I'm 'old-school', and 2 - getting progressively more and more hard of hearing. I've used this same rig for the last 40 years or so, though, so I'm beginning to know how to set it up for my 'style'.
If we're talking home practise, that may be a bit too voluminous for some (not for me; I have all the space I need...), but the notion of playing at home into a (quality...) bass amp, with a reasonable pedal or multi-effect, seems fine to me. What's the alternative, if one is really looking for 'that' guitar sound..? A Fender Twin..? At home..? An inexpensive combo would be fine, but the Aguilar rig will do a good job, too, I'd say.

[/quote]

Very cool rig

Dad, your Bassman amp dates from a time when there was little difference between guitar and bass amplifiers, and in fact it has gone on to become a far more popular as a guitar amp than as a bass amp.

Modern bass amplification like that owned by the OP is whole different kettle of fish, and while guitar amps outside of those designs based around modelling technology have most gone back to designs from the 50s 60s and 70s, bass amps and speakers these days have far more in common with PA amplification in that they are very much more full-bandwidth amplification.

For the OP. As I said in my original post you'll need to try it and see what you think, and TBH how suitable the amp is will depend on what sorts of guitar sounds you are after. (What sorts of guitar sounds are you after?) However expect to have to do some serious playing with the EQ just for starters, and while I note that your amp does have some sort of drive/distortion circuit it might not be voiced in such a way to flatter the guitar.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1480505891' post='3184864']...bass amps and speakers these days have far more in common with PA amplification in that they are very much more full-bandwidth amplification....
[/quote]

So much the better..! Is there not an increasing trend for guitarists to use a pre-amp/DI and go through FOH, with no back-line amp at all..? Sounds like an approach to [i]that [/i]approach, to me..! A bit of modelling and, bingo..! As you've already mentioned, though, it can't do any harm at all to plug in and listen to the result. Dry, perhaps not so authentic, but with a bit of treatment, it may be quite satisfactory for home use.

Edited by Dad3353

One of the Sansamp Character Series overdrive pedals could be your friend here as it will give more of a guitar amp/speaker vibe to the sound and take the clinical full range edge off the overdrive/distortion sounds. Or similarly a small multi-effects unit with a speaker-sim function...

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1480507499' post='3184894']
One of the Sansamp Character Series overdrive pedals could be your friend here as it will give more of a guitar amp/speaker vibe to the sound and take the clinical full range edge off the overdrive/distortion sounds. Or similarly a small multi-effects unit with a speaker-sim function...
[/quote]

+1 to this

As others have said, there's no health and safety issue (it's not like basses blowing guitar cab speakers) and there's probably a whole thread to be had for guitarists who prefer to use old Marshall valve bass heads. In fact I used to play with a guitarist who preferred bass amps for a fuller bottom end.

But depending on the sound you're after, especially if the amp is very clean and if you're not after that, a good cheat in getting it to sound more guitar-y are the Sansamp/Tech 21 type pedals.

I've used one of these and it's great! Sansamp copy for next to nowt.

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Behringer-GDI21-V-Tone-Guitar-Preamp/2PY?origin=product-ads&utm_campaign=PLA+Shop+-+Behringer&utm_medium=vertical_search&network=google&adgroup=1+-+Product+Level+-+Behringer&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=3526d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=111959019199&gclid=CJKZzOrT0NACFS4o0wodLPALFg

In a rehearsal room somewhere on the south coast.....there are two great big "Bill and Teds excellent adventure" Marshall rigs. In addition there is an Ashdown MAG 2 x 10 combo. I always take my own small rig to rehearsals so the Ashdown is free. Although its not as good as an actual proper guitar amp , its a lot better than the Marshalls so the gitard uses the Ashdown as a prefrence, when he cant be bothered to bring his own light as a feather gitard amp.

Thats at a low but ballsy enough volume for 2-3 hours and no probs so I think a strat at home through the current rig will be fine till you decide weather to invest in a "proper" amp.

I'm sure we've discussed this one before on this forum. I'll just repeat pretty much what I said last time.

The only issue (as numerous people have already said) might be the sound - some bass rigs are voiced specifically for bass guitars; others (PJB being a good example) are full range systems, equally suitable for pretty much anything you plug into them. I would quite commonly use my PJB Briefcase with my Takamine electro-acoustic (or whatever they're called now) and got excellent results. I always used a good acoustic preamp, but it would be perfectly useable straight in. (With an electric, there might be more work to do of course...) Perhaps a reverb pedal and a bit of (guitar) chorus, and away you go. :)

I've never played a guitar through a bass amp & been happy with the sound.[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1480505082' post='3184857']
It will work. For amps, I can honestly say Roland/Boss have hit the ball WAY out of the park with the new Katana range. The 50W 1x12 is only £169 and it has almost EVERYTHING you need, and there are old tube snobs saying it is one of the closest solid states amps to tube that's hit the market. No one can understand the low price. You can practice, gig, record, rehearse, the lot....it has headphone out, usb recording, .5 watt mode, a kickstand, acoustic setting, clean/breakup/brown sound, and some stellar effects. It is the most appealing guitar amp series in a long time....and it's stupidly cheap.

I think they will put that knowledge into a Boss bass amp.
[/quote]

Not heard of these, I'll have to check them out.
I was very impressed with the Roland Blues Cube range but they are a lot more expensive.