Why become a member? ×

Now THIS is how you start a band

Happy Jack

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1478889657' post='3172548']
Very few musicians have the ability or resources to start a rock band. It's why 95℅ of all start ups fail.

Blue
[/quote]

Oh, I dont know. I have been involved in about a dozen start up bands over the last 50 years. Some originals, some covers. You get together with a bunch of mates, or you answer/put an add in the local music shop, or as now on JMB etc. There are always false starts and the occasional time waster but if you cant overcome that you will never get a band off the ground. Most musicians are nice people and easy to get along with, they just want to play gigs the same as me.

Very few musicians have the ability or resources to start a rock band. It's why 95℅ of all start ups fail...
[/quote]

This is probably true of all human endeavour, I reckon. There's nothing special about rock groups; it's much the same when forming a slot-car racing club, or looking for figure-skating partnerships. It's in the very essence of experimentation to have, built-in, the possibility of failure. No secret there. There is, however, some reason that folks continue, despite the odds, to 'reach for the stars', maybe because the 5% or so that [i]do [/i]pull it off find it so satisfying; at least while it lasts. Too cynical, 'glass half-empty', Blue. All is not instant success, which makes it all the sweeter when tasted. Let the 'youf' try their luck; it's too late, anyway, for old codgers.

Very few musicians have the ability or resources to start a rock band. It's why 95℅ of all start ups fail.

Blue
[/quote]

This is a bit of a strange and all-sweeping statement. If you're in it simply for the money and trying to make a living off it, then I'd say the success rate thereof would be in the fractions of a percent.

In the main though, what qualifies as failure? Four guys making noise in a room who decide not to take things past a second jam session?

Insofar as ability and resources go, I'd refute that anyone can do it irrespective of ability. You use the term 'start up' out of context too; it's not a business, it's supposed to be fun.

Blue
[/quote]

Quite so. In fact, I'd imagine the percentage is substantially higher if one assumes that [i]all[/i] bands are start-ups at some point in their existence.

Of the hundreds of thousands (possibly millions?) of 'rock' based bands that have been formed across the planet over the last 60 years I suspect relatively few are still going. Apart from the Stones, obviously.

As for the advertiser's self-effacing approach to recruitment: well, it may be better than 'Only apply if you're a toadally rock'n'roll dude who wants to go all the way to the top'.

But not much.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1478855488' post='3172096']
i only join bands with no identity or any apparently clue what is going on or what will go on...
[/quote]

I've joined several bands where that has[i] turned out [/i]to be the case, I don't think it was intentional though!

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1479056550' post='3173590']
He wants to enjoy himself, meet a few players and see what comes out of it. Good luck to him. It ain't brain surgery or a cure for cancer.
[/quote]

I'd agree with this , unless Bonos his hero of course

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1479035808' post='3173403']

This is a bit of a strange and all-sweeping statement. If you're in it simply for the money and trying to make a living off it, then I'd say the success rate thereof would be in the fractions of a percent.

In the main though, what qualifies as failure? Four guys making noise in a room who decide not to take things past a second jam session?

Insofar as ability and resources go, I'd refute that anyone can do it irrespective of ability. You use the term 'start up' out of context too; it's not a business, it's supposed to be fun.
[/quote]

Being in a band is fun. Starting a band is not,it's hard work which most are I'll equipped to do.

Blue

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1479061921' post='3173637']

Quite so. In fact, I'd imagine the percentage is substantially higher if one assumes that [i]all[/i] bands are start-ups at some point in their existence.

Of the hundreds of thousands (possibly millions?) of 'rock' based bands that have been formed across the planet over the last 60 years I suspect relatively few are still going. Apart from the Stones, obviously.

As for the advertiser's self-effacing approach to recruitment: well, it may be better than 'Only apply if you're a toadally rock'n'roll dude who wants to go all the way to the top'.

But not much.
[/quote]

Might be different in the States because we're so focused on money, which you need to attract competent players.

I think start ups might be easier and more successful for 18-24 age group with high energy all the time in the world and not a care in the world.

And I do agree you have to define success. I guess if you can get 4 guys to stay together long enough to put some tunes together and have little fun is success to some and that's fine. Even I'd call that success

Blue