Why become a member? ×

Kate Bush

Rich

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1478810871' post='3171894']
I only liked the first 2 albums she made, but they were absolute beauts and utterly timeless. The musicians were top grade too
[/quote]

Whoa steady now... they are great records and of their time but 'Hounds of Love', 'Aerial' and 50WFS are astonishing in their own ways.

So bass-wise we have John Giblin, Del Palmer and Eberhard Weber. Not to mention Mick Karn (live) and Kate herself. Not shabby at all.

I was 12 when "Wuthering Heights" was released, and became enchanted by her from the start.

I didn't like "The Dreaming" much, but every other album has had some gems, and my two favourites albums are actually "Aerial" and the first four tracks of "50 words for Snow". That said, put "The Man with the Child in his Eyes" on. or "Never Be Mine", and I am just gone :)

Yep, we're all different..

Personally, I think she's astonishingly brilliant and unique as a songwriter, singer and performer and that her contribution to British music will stand the test of time.

Hounds of Love and Aerial are two works of absolute genius IMHO, and both albums formed the basis of her 'Before the Dawn' live show that I was privileged enough to see two years ago, and I'm hoping that the live CD she's just released will be as fabulous as the show itself was.

I'm more a fan of the "later" material, Hounds Of Love onwards. Director's Cut didn't add much for me though. And I've not heard 50 Words For Snow either. Am I missing out?

Likewise I was lucky enough to see Before The Dawn, and I'm hugely looking forward to the live album. Also, it's impossible for a Kate Bush thread to pass me by without adding "saw the show, bought the bass" - http://basschat.co.uk/topic/254282-more-love-for-wunjo-and-basschat/

I quite like some of her songs where she's singing relatively normally e.g. Sensual World, Big Sky and Cloudbusting but she doesn't half screech as well. Ye gods. As with later Steely Dan and Peter Gabriel albums I find her stuff too heavily produced. Sometimes you just want albums to be done in one take, to capture edge and spontaneity.

We managed to get tickets to see "Before the Dawn" at the Apollo. Arguably one of the best gigs I've ever seen. From that point, to quote Steve Coogan, "I became fully immersed in the Bush"! Just hoping she doesn't take 35 years to release the DVD! I didn't realise how instrumental David Gilmour was in her discovery until I watched a BBC documentary.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1478857556' post='3172131']
I'm more a fan of the "later" material, Hounds Of Love onwards. Director's Cut didn't add much for me though. And I've not heard 50 Words For Snow either. Am I missing out?
[/quote]

50 Words For Snow is a bit of an acquired taste, I really enjoyed it but I know plenty of people that didn't. It's not my favorite album, that accolade goes to Hounds of Love, especially the "Ninth Wave" b side.

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1478879205' post='3172355']
50 Words for snow would have been amazing had they removed the title track and snowed in at wheeler street.
[/quote]

Great minds think alike

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1478812851' post='3171923']
my two favourites albums are actually "Aerial" and the first four tracks of "50 words for Snow".
[/quote]

Hm, I'm also different - IMO (of course), there's a gradual progression through the first four albums, peaking with The Dreaming. Nothing grabbed me that much after that (I haven't heard Ariel or later). I feel the same way about Peter Gabriel - those first four albums are fantastic, although no. 4 was the least of them. I think they both got a lot less interesting when they reached the "I can do whatever I like in my own studio" level.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1478879978' post='3172374']
We have our very own KB trib bassist right here among our own... ;)
[/quote]

We do indeed, and Cloudbusting also do the Ninth Wave in its entirety from time to time, not an easy task I can tell you.

Heres a vid of one of her slightly less well known songs ( not from the Ninth Wave) which we performed with members of the London Bulgarian Choir, and a few musicians from Mad Dog McCrea, if you should be so interested like. Was lots of fun to do **post edited with correct embed code, thanks to the BC-ers whose posts appear odd now :)**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z618ynL2U5s

Edited by sprocketflup

We're certainly all different and she certainly grabs different people different ways!

The Dreaming and Aerial for me. Fantastic. .. 50 words for snow leaves me cold, never got hounds of love either.

Only took her seriously after a mate sent me a tape of "all the love" because "it has Eberhardt Weber on it" .. it's Del Palmer or course! EW is on Houdini (on my stereo right now)