Gig Bass order of merit.....

Number6

I currently have 5 1/2 basses
A black Warmoth 'dinky-P' body with a Status Jazz neck
A yellow Warmoth P body with a Warmoth Jazz neck and JohnEast pre
A green Warmoth PJ body with a Warmoth fretless jazz neck
A fiesta red 83 Squier 62RI JV P
A trans red burst Fender TBucket 300CE acoustic

and a Warmoth fretted jazz neck (unattached to a body)...

I currently only gig the Status necked dinkyP = why? Because my band needs fretted electric bass and of the fretted electrics that one is the newest and the lightest.

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1477482752' post='3162496']
Currently:

1. white Epi Thunderbird Classic Pro
2. ebony 1991 Gibson Thunderbird
3. Epi Blackbird
4. ebony 1990 Gibson Thunderbird

This changes constantly, though, and may soon include the Epi Explorer if I decide it won't look too daft at my age.
[/quote]

So it's fair to say you gig with a Thunderbird then.....;)

I have two Js and a P. One J is strung with flats and only used for recording currently.

I would usually gig the J first - I've got it wired in series and it sounds massive - but it needs a broken solder joint fixing and I haven't got around to it so I'm gigging the P.

Really though I don't care that much either way.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1476920098' post='3158581']
This doesn't work for me as I have different basses for different bands.
[/quote]
Exactly. I have two basses.
If it's a rock gig, I use the Yamaha BB414. Anything else is the Precision Bitsa.
That's it.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on venue and in house electrics....

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. Fender USA P Bass deluxe[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] with D extender [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]will cover anything and everything[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2. Rickenbacker 4003 with D extender - but if the house electrics are crap, I cannot use it due to hummmmmmmm[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3. Rickenbacker 4004[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] with D extender[/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]4. Les Paul bass ('94 vintage) tho can be too heavy for a full on gig and have to change at half time... depending on how fit I'm feeling and whether drop D is required from the set list![/color][/font]

I have a list of basses I never gig too - such a waste!! :)

My main two work horses are the Infinity and the MIJ P, tbh it depends on the gig!

Following that are the fretless German Corvette, and the German Warwick Alien (Acoustic) - again, it depends on the gig!

Then the German FNA Jazzman sits at the bottom of priorities as it's merely the backup to the Infinity if anything goes wrong.

The "new" Rockinbetter's that are making an appearance on the market now aren't quite as good as the ones that were on the market 4-5 years ago (when they started to peter out), some of the detailing isn't quite there, but the hardware appears to be the same, and they are at least through necks, not the "Chinabacker" set neck versions.

Since joining a 'proper' band earlier this year I have mainly gigged with the following. I alternate between them because we play a variety of musical styles:

Fender USA Marcus Miller V
Fender Japan 70's RI P-Bass

...However the last gig we played I switched to the following:

Squier Deluxe Dimension Bass V
Fender Japan Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

In all honesty the Squier suited our sound much better than the Marcus (and only cost me £160 as a B-Stock item! :gas: ). The Geddy's going to keep the gig for a bit too.

My goto bass is my Geddy Lee Jazz. I've tried using my others but keep going back to my Jazz but normally this is how it works before returning to my Jazz

1. Jazz
2. Overwater J4
3. Warwick Thumb NT
4. Dingwall NG2

and back to
1. Jazz

My fretless basses only get used for special projects that require a fretless or a 6 string. My Dingwall NG2 is kinda in that category too but is just a really nice bass to play but has a distinct grunt that doesn't suit most bands.

Dave

Depends on the gig:

Function band 'normal' gig: both the Shukers (Dual-P and Bigman)
Function band 'long night' kinda thing: I'll take the Dingwall (7.5lbs...) and Bigman Shuker
Rock band gig: Dingwall and Dual-P Shuker
Acoustic/trio gig: Michael Kelly Dragonfly acoustic, possibly Dingwall, too

Some of this is set to change when I get my Shukerbird...

I always take two basses to gigs. For some time now it's been the top two listed below but my Stingray was my main gigging bass before that. It's now my go-to bass at home but will be getting a run out in the next few weeks.

1. Status S2 Classic
[url="http://s592.photobucket.com/user/gazhowe/media/status%20s2/PICT0006.jpg.html"][/url]

2. Status Streamline
[url="http://s592.photobucket.com/user/gazhowe/media/Status%20Streamline/IMG_4685.jpg.html"][/url]

3. MM Stingray (3EQ Black & Maple)

• 2 months later...

Having gigged my Yamaha 424x a couple of times my OoM currently looks like this:

1. Yamaha 424x
2. Fender MIM Precision
3. Epiphone Allen Woody Short Scale

I am just really impressed by the Yamaha. It's very well made and has a variety of sounds with the PJ switchable pup set up. More versatile imho than the Precision. Still haven't gigged my Jazz though :)

Edited by Number6