Why become a member? ×

Feedback Etiquette

Hutton

I am maybe doing something wrong here but a couple of times recently I have been asked to provide feedback and I have gladly done so. However, the gesture has not been returned. I don't think that I did anything wrong during the transactions so as not to merit feedback being reciprocated. Any thoughts folks?

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1475954008' post='3150094']

Have you PM'd the people who've not reciprocated ? It may be they just need reminding.
[/quote]

This.
A friendly reminder via pm is usually all that's needed.

I have forgotten sometimes to leave feedback, and others have forgotten to leave feedback for me.

(I'm quite relieved about the latter.... 4 pages are quite enough)

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1475956745' post='3150128']
Nah. I either deserve feedback or I don't. If I have to ask for it then it doesn't mean very much.
[/quote]

Well, I reckon it's two different things - wanting to and remembering to. I try not to think too badly of people for being forgetful.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1475957273' post='3150134']

Well, I reckon it's two different things - wanting to and remembering to. I try not to think too badly of people for being forgetful.
[/quote]

I take your point but surely if you ask for feedback then it only takes a minute or two to give feedback.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1475957561' post='3150135']
I take your point but surely if you ask for feedback then it only takes a minute or two to give feedback.
[/quote]

It does, but there's always dinner, a crying baby or an out-of-control cryo-arthimetic engine to sort out first !

I've noticed this lately too..

I always try to remember to leave feedback, but don't worry too much if it's not reciprocated when I do - who knows what people have got going on in their lives at any particular time?

Having said that, I think the idea of everyone having a feedback thread is an important aspect of what makes buying /selling on here work so well.

Especially now there are so many Basschat members compared to the early days of the Forum.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1475969826' post='3150205']
Yup - it's as simple as this.
[/quote]

Why do people not need reminding when they are responding through personal messages about buying or selling instruments? The correspondence fairly whizzes back and forth then. I'm sorry, I just don't buy the reminding thing.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1475998809' post='3150259']

Why do people not need reminding when they are responding through personal messages about buying or selling instruments? The correspondence fairly whizzes back and forth then. I'm sorry, I just don't buy the reminding thing.
[/quote]

Do you really need to me to explain that it's probably because buying something is exciting, whereas leaving feedback isn't?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1475999372' post='3150263']
Do you really need to me to explain that it's probably because buying something is exciting, whereas leaving feedback isn't?
[/quote]

I'm not stupid. I just believe in good manners and courtesy. Things which are all too lacking in the present day 'all about me' society.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1475952638' post='3150081']
I am maybe doing something wrong here but a couple of times recently I have been asked to provide feedback and I have gladly done so. However, the gesture has not been returned. I don't think that I did anything wrong during the transactions so as not to merit feedback being reciprocated. Any thoughts folks?
[/quote]

you too huh

:unsure:

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1476000242' post='3150268']

I'm not stupid. I just believe in good manners and courtesy. Things which are all too lacking in the present day 'all about me' society.
[/quote]

I believe in that too, but I also have an awareness that people lead busy lives, and have different priorities.

It's obviously a #1 priority for you, but less so for others. A gentle nudge will help them along.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1476000847' post='3150273']
I believe in that too, but I also have an awareness that people lead busy lives, and have different priorities.

It's obviously a #1 priority for you, but less so for others. A gentle nudge will help them along.
[/quote]

It is not a number one priority. Far from it in fact. However, I now wish I hadn't started the thread at all. How about closing it?

Or maybe try to adopt a different mindset. It used to bother me a bit if people didn't leave feedback but, having taken a step back for perspective, came to realise that it actually isn't very important.

Then, of course, send them some dog poo through the post later.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1476001011' post='3150275']
It is not a number one priority. Far from it in fact. However, I now wish I hadn't started the thread at all. How about closing it?
[/quote]

There's no need to close it. Just different opinions is all :)

I'm with you, in that it is an annoyance. As soon as I complete a transaction/deal, whether here or Ebay, I leave feedback and will continue to do so.