Why become a member? ×

learning two finger right-hand technique (currently play one finger)

tedmanzie

I started out playing with a pick, then moved on to finger playing as I prefer the feel and control it brings. However I only learned to play with ONE finger as it was easier and I figured if it was ok for James Jamerson... So I'm pretty good with my one finger now! (Been doing one finger for a couple of years) But at higher tempos or some 16th patterns it doesn't work... and I have to get the pick out. So I'm thinking bite the bullet and learn two fingers properly.

I wondered if anyone had any tips or recommendations?
Does anyone here play one finger with the occasional two, or do you have to be strict two finger alternating?!

Cheers
Ted

Edited by tedmanzie

Tim Commerford, he of Rage Against The Machine and Audioslave, said in a recent interview that he uses the Jamerson one-finger approach most of the time, occasionally adding a second finger when needed, on faster passages.

I'm strictly two, occasionally leading with one finger. I do a fair bit of raking in my playing just to add colour to it and that's one-finger business. I'm self-taught so I don't have any tips as such, but I can say that I just sat night after night alternating between the two fingers picking chromatics and scales until it was...um.....deep and crisp and even, I guess. Somehow, it became intuitive to me and I jump in and out of one and two fingered approaches so often that I barely think about, it or even notice. But I lead with two for the most part.

I'm the opposite of this, I picked up the bass last Christmas and started to teach myself; instinctively going for fingers rather than pick but only one finger. When I started 'proper' lessons, I was encouraged to use two and this makes faster passages easier but I still have some bad habits from before; watching my video posted on here of me playing along to Pretty Vacant, it's two most of the time except for the run up to the chorus and I swap back to one. Trying to correct it but quite hard.

Like most people on the forum I am self taught so when I began playing I used just my index finger on my right hand and played everything on the E string using my thumb over the top of the neck to fret the notes.

The left hand thing came easily enough playing with the rest of my fingers but for years I only used one finger on my right hand. I found that just by making a conscious effort to introduce the second finger when playing along with tunes it did eventually develop.

I still favour using just my index finger but for some things it's nigh on impossible to use one finger.

The important and difficult thing I found thing when learning to use two fingers is to try to get the attack identical on both fingers but it just takes time

One of the first things I discovered when I started on bass was that the profile of my index finger (#1) is quite different from that of my two middle fingers (#2 & #3). #1 is relatively tapered whereas the other two are far more rounded.

The result is that when I first tried fast two-fingered stuff the difference between #1 and #2 was really obvious, whereas I could get a far more consistent tone by doing fast passages using #2 and #3.

I played like that for years - JJ style for slower stuff, the two middle fingers for faster strumming. Somewhere along the line that mutated into using pretty much any combination of the three when playing.

My point being that you could start by leaning 'the hook' alone and work on introducing #2 and #3 as a route into faster playing.

I tend to play with three fingers now when playing finger style, it didn't take long to include the third finger into the playing but stopping three fingers giving a triplicate type rhythm took a little longer, it shouldn't be too hard for you to go from one finger to two as you are already a competent player so you shouldn't need to be concentrating on what your fretting hand is doing just focusing on what your fingers are doing should see you getting it right pretty quickly

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1472987236' post='3125742']
Learn to tap paradiddles with your fingers then gradually transfer to the strings. It imho make its easier to learn to play finger style.
[/quote]

^ What he says. Take it slow, get accurate and strong and well emphasised just by tapping. It might not be easy, and will prob take some time, but gets the wiring in yer brain and the muscles in yer arm working. Don't over do it, and stop before it hurts anywhere. As you improve, speed up, then finally transfer it to strings !

HTH !

LD

Never really thought about it. Can't use a pick as I keep dropping it. I bought a bass, started twanging it and when I looked... behold... two fingers were being utilised. No disrespect to the late great James Jamerson, but I never understood the "big finger" approach, although a lot it went on in the 70s. As usual, do what suits you, and I actually do have respect for people that can use a variety of techniques.

Yes again for paradiddles, including playing them as fifths and octaves with one finger playing each string.
Also play alternating fingers, fairly fast on a single note, and try and build in different bar emphasis - ONE-two-three-four-ONE-two-three-four for a few minutes, then ONE-two-three-ONE-two-three, then ONE-two-ONE-two.
And play scales in octaves, first finger playing the low notes and second finger the octave above.

I'd just play along with songs. Start with the medium tempos first and build up. Don't move on until you've mastered what you're trying to play.

16th's? I haven't played any of those in years. Figure out something better and less frantic to play.

I learnt with 2 fingers but play with 1 finger more and more these days. Another thing I've noticed, my style is changing. I used to be a lot busier. As I get older I'm playing fewer notes.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1472993549' post='3125820']
I'd just play along with songs. Start with the medium tempos first and build up. Don't move on until you've mastered what you're trying to play.

16th's? I haven't played any of those in years. Figure out something better and less frantic to play.

I learnt with 2 fingers but play with 1 finger more and more these days. Another thing I've noticed, my style is changing. I used to be a lot busier. As I get older I'm playing fewer notes.
[/quote]

I'm a bit partial to disco basslines and the busier end of funk basslines! So for example this clip I can do a buskers version of with a plectrum, but one-finger is a no go!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSHVqOYjaDI[/media]

Started out with good intentions, and played finger style initially, but soon succumbed to using a pick and carried on doing so for many years. About 10 years ago, I decided I needed to go back to using my fingers (and also to go back to Passive only basses), never looked back since.

Mixed with "rediscovering" Rush, and Black Sabbath in Paris, it only seemed natural.

Edited by Skybone

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1472991674' post='3125800']
Drive everyone mad...alternatively tap ur two fingers everywhere, at the table, in the lounge, car..shower, heck even in bed if the other half hasnt already threatened you with a slow death already..it'll come.
[/quote]

I'm currently doing that, trying to bring my three fingered playing up to a decent standard.

I play with my thumb and three fingers, so it's only my "pinkie" that doesn't really get a look in.
The only tip I can really offer is - practice! As with any instrumental technique, lots and lots of repetition of difficult stuff (preferably more difficult than you'll ever need) will eventually get you there.

I started playing with my thumb (as Leo intended lol)
But obviously found its limitations quickly so started using two fingers. I had to train myself, I found simple blues and slower stuff helped me at first then moved on to sing with a higher tempo. Also playing staccato notes and using your other finger to mute the string.

Urgh I think all my really bad self taught habits have wasted 2 years of my 3 and a half years learning.

Go and find old Chic records and learn these... You won't be able to do it with out using a good two finger technique.
It will take a lot of time.
Practice drumming with two all the time. Do it when driving on the steering wheel etc etc..

Edited by JTUK

My main instrument is fingerstyle acoustic guitar so I pretty much transposed this technique the bass. But what I say is don't ignore using the thumb on its own. You get different tones compared to fingers or pick. Back to fingers the best exercise is playing walking patterns up and down the neck, alternating between index with middle and middle with ring. Boring but effective

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1473060395' post='3126384']
Go and find old Chic records and learn these... You won't be able to do it with out using a good two finger technique.
It will take a lot of time.
Practice drumming with two all the time. Do it when driving on the steering wheel etc etc..
[/quote]

Funnily enough it's usually Chic records that cause me to realise that one finger won't do!....

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1473066715' post='3126460']
My main instrument is fingerstyle acoustic guitar so I pretty much transposed this technique the bass. But what I say is don't ignore using the thumb on its own. You get different tones compared to fingers or pick. Back to fingers the best exercise is playing walking patterns up and down the neck, alternating between index with middle and middle with ring. Boring but effective
[/quote]

Thumb and/or 3 finger picking is not for me, but thanks anyway. I enjoy other people's playing that can do this though! :)