Why become a member? ×

I love Steely Dan..!..anyone else?

bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='299083' date='Oct 4 2008, 03:29 AM']Ahh..when i post i always know i will get a wealth of knowledge from my bass brothers .I will check Donald's album out...Yeah SD were so innovative..fantastic bluesy guitar playing.. , as a time in music, the 70' s never stop amazing me with these amazing people.

Stingray5 i think i mentioned The Allman Bros, dont know if you have heard these guys.. i recommend an album called Begginings..Some 70's hammond rock, but some turns into Jazzfunk.. Very cool.[/quote]

bubinga5, yeh I know very well The Allman Bros.
Beginnings is basically the first two albums sewn together. Have a listen to 'Live at Fillmore East' (originally a double LP set) which includes a stonkin' 20-odd minute version of 'Stormy Monday Blues'.
A lot of people bought the album 'Brothers & Sisters' for the bands biggest hit 'Jessica' (...hello 'Top Gear' fans!).
Someone also mentioned Zappa -- another huge love of mine. Check out his version of the Allman's "Whippin' Post".
Regarding Steely Dan again, my function band often sound-checks with 'Rikki Don't Lose That Number'.

I definitely admire them, but I'm probably a minority voice in finding their song writing a little insipid and lacking in passion.

I've found myself listening to many of their tracks waiting for the climax or waiting to understand the point of the song and the light bulb never really flicks on. Undoubtedly thats more a reflection of my poor musical understanding than them as a band.

Having said that, I love the bass tone on Aja. Something I've used as a benchmark for my own gear testing.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='299319' date='Oct 4 2008, 01:08 PM']I definitely admire them, but I'm probably a minority voice in finding their song writing a little insipid and lacking in passion.

I've found myself listening to many of their tracks waiting for the climax or waiting to understand the point of the song and the light bulb never really flicks on. Undoubtedly thats more a reflection of my poor musical understanding than them as a band.

Having said that, I love the bass tone on Aja. Something I've used as a benchmark for my own gear testing.[/quote]

I kind of get what you mean, crazykiwi. When I first realized much of their lyrics included a lot of 'in-jokes' and references to their own school and college friends etc, it left me feeling ever-so-slightly left out. Rightly or wrongly, I later accepted this as simply a part of the quirky world of Steely Dan.

Yes I love them as well - I don't actually own many of their albums but they are a band that are constantly played places I go (in the Jazzwise office for one) but Aja is definitely one of my fave albums - they just write amazing songs with superb lyrcs - the dry sense of humour is exactly my bag baby!

[b]I also love Walter Becker's guide to GAS - a must read for anyone suffering the perils of excessive gear ownership: [url="http://www.steelydan.com/gas.html"]http://www.steelydan.com/gas.html[/url][/b]

For me Steve Gadd's drum solo/groove on the end of Aja is a timless piece of playing - gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it.

M

[quote name='molan' post='299279' date='Oct 4 2008, 12:16 PM']The Steely Dan 4CD box set is well worth the money, look out for it on EBay, it comes up for sale now & then. Cost me about £20 I think.

Watch out for Nearly Dan, great covers band with some really good musicianship [url="http://www.nearlydan.co.uk/gigs.htm"]http://www.nearlydan.co.uk/gigs.htm[/url]

What was the Wilton Felder album you were after?

Was it Inherit the Wind? [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b_BTq8e6M-k"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b_BTq8e6M-k[/url]

I'm sure I've got it kicking around somewhere - I'm a complete Bobby Womack nut so bought it purely for the fact the sang on it :)[/quote]

+1 for Nearly Dan I've seen them a few times at The Jazz Cafe in Camden and as a total Dan fan I recommend them as a great night out,and they're really nice guys too.

[quote name='lowdown' post='299169' date='Oct 4 2008, 10:12 AM']And dont forget the 'Making of Aja Dvd'

Bubinga, this was posted elsewhere a few days,
But just in case you missed it.

Garry[/quote]

Just ahead of me there, Garry :)

I like most of what they have done (and the solo records)
The bass playing and lead gu1t@r break in Kid Charlemagne always leaves me open jawed with amazement :huh:

[quote name='urb' post='299358' date='Oct 4 2008, 02:02 PM'][b]I also love Walter Becker's guide to GAS - a must read for anyone suffering the perils of excessive gear ownership: [url="http://www.steelydan.com/gas.html"]http://www.steelydan.com/gas.html[/url][/b][/quote]

Whaa ha ha
" 5. Ask yourself: would I like to be thought of and remembered as a guitar player or as a guitar owner?"

:)

[quote name='molan' post='299279' date='Oct 4 2008, 12:16 PM']The Steely Dan 4CD box set is well worth the money, look out for it on EBay, it comes up for sale now & then. Cost me about £20 I think.

Watch out for Nearly Dan, great covers band with some really good musicianship [url="http://www.nearlydan.co.uk/gigs.htm"]http://www.nearlydan.co.uk/gigs.htm[/url]

What was the Wilton Felder album you were after?

Was it Inherit the Wind? [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b_BTq8e6M-k"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b_BTq8e6M-k[/url]

I'm sure I've got it kicking around somewhere - I'm a complete Bobby Womack nut so bought it purely for the fact the sang on it :)[/quote]Molan,yes the Wilton Felder album was Inherit the Wind.. Yeah i love Bobby Womack too

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='299849' date='Oct 5 2008, 12:42 PM']Molan, the Wilton Felder album was Inherit the Wind..[/quote]

I checked and the CD I have is Forever Always - which also has Bobby Womack on the title song.

If you want the track Inherit the Wind as opposed to the whole album it's easy to find on download :)

I LURVE the Dan!!!

Favourite album is The Royal Scam followed by everything featuring Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter on their first few albums...

They were a little sterile at times, but their wit and innovation more than made up for it.... :)

For me they were part of my favourite era for rock music.... when arrangements, musicality and thought went into song construction.... Give me Steely Dan, Doobie Brothers, Chicago, Ambrosia, Allman Bros etc over anything of recent times....

Edited by cetera

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='299319' date='Oct 4 2008, 01:08 PM']....I definitely admire them, but I'm probably a minority voice in finding their song writing a little insipid and lacking in passion...[/quote]
I'll agree with that.
I've got some Steely Dan studio CD's but I can't you tell which as I haven't played them in years. I prefer SD live, with some adrenalin flowing! I still play Made in America (Pete Erskine and Tom Barney are great) and SD are putting some serious energy into a 1974 concert at the Rainbow, which I have on bootleg.

Edited by chris_b

I defy anyone over the age of 30 to listen to Donald Fagan's Nightfly album and not be whisked back to a time when a young man's hopes and dreams had still to be crushed by the reality of 'life'.

Long been my fave album , and although I was a SD fan before I heard it I've become a bigger one since. Interesting , musical ,mature , jazz based sheer bloody class.

Yes , they can be a tad bland - too much filler on many of the albums - and a touch too much cleverness at times. Worth it though for the moments of quality round every bend.

+1 for Nearly Dan who I've seen 3 or 4 times now. I believe we have a Basschatter who is with The Dan Collective and who are also worthy of a listen!

Re Steely Dan, I was very priveleged to see them on their sole UK Tour visit in the 70's. They only did a couple of dates, London and Leeds I think and then, hacked off with touring went back to the States.

The band was as per the early albums and included David Palmer on vox and Mike McDonald on keys. I saw them at Leeds Uni, it was so hot the band were throwing up off stage. I know memory plays tricks but possibly the best gig I have ever witnessed and I was going to around 2 a week at that time (had to spend the grant wisely!).
I still have the flyposter for the gig, ripped off a wall in the Uni or Poly at the time.

Seen the 'polite' reformed Steely Dan twice since but don't think their recent recorded/live output is anything like as accomplished as the earlier stuff.

Edited by yorks5stringer

Steely Dan are, for me, one of those rock bands that allows the genre to retain some self-respect; Zappa too. Intelligent, creative music both lyrically and musically. Every genre has some of these true artists.

'Katy Lied' does it for me but that live DVD from the 'Two Against Nature' tour is great. (Tom Barney, if I recall correctly).

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='300593' date='Oct 6 2008, 04:21 PM']Steely Dan are, for me, one of those rock bands that allows the genre to retain some self-respect; Zappa too. Intelligent, creative music both lyrically and musically. Every genre has some of these true artists.

'Katy Lied' does it for me but that live DVD from the 'Two Against Nature' tour is great. (Tom Barney, if I recall correctly).[/quote]

It was Tom Barney, and rather than actually being on Tour, it was a one off special recorded gig, though it was pretty much the touring band.

Another Dan fan here - I got into listening to them relatively late (last 8 years). Was very lucky to get a ticket for the Hammersmith gig last year & didn't come away disappointed as they played a lot of my favourites on the night. I rate the 2 Against Nature DVD very highly - Tom Barney & Ricky Lawson are totally in the pocket on that one!

In case anyone in the South East is interested, there's a great trio called "Be Sharp" who gig in the Kent / Surrey / Essex / Hampshire / Berkshire area throughout the year who have a few SD songs in their set.

Steely Dan - Very underated band (IMO).

Cheers,
iamthewalrus.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='300393' date='Oct 6 2008, 12:07 PM']I defy anyone over the age of 30 to listen to Donald Fagan's Nightfly album and not be whisked back to a time when a young man's hopes and dreams had still to be crushed by the reality of 'life'.[/quote]
I fell asleep. Not good when you're driving round the Birmingham ring road, but it was that bland and tedious...

[quote name='iamthewalrus' post='300658' date='Oct 6 2008, 05:13 PM']....Steely Dan - Very underated band (IMO)....[/quote]
Mmm. I'm not sure that a multi-million album selling, Grammy Award winning, world touring, stadium filling band who have become millionaires in a 35 year career really qualifies as underrated!

Edited by chris_b