Why become a member? ×

Unplugging an active bass when not in use

Guest MoJo

I always unplug my active, not to conserve battery but just so I can rest it against the amp when it's not on me. It'd topple over otherwise!

Thinking about it though I should probably change the batteries, haven't done so since I got it last year! :lol:

I still carry spare batteries even though I'm mainly gigging with a passive bass, and a screwdriver to get the back plate off. Then I can put any bass into my gig bag and not have to remember any different stuff to bring for each one.

I've had the tuner battery drain on me several times, so the replacements are mainly carried for that these days.

One thing I've always done (barring keeping a spare set of batteries with me) is to check if the bass works in passive mode without power - paranoia I guess. My old Washburn is active only so dead battery = dead bass. My Dingwall, Sandberg and Cort are all fine in passive mode.without power. Saves failing mid set.

Last gig my wireless died between songs though - really embarrassing - I normally put freshly charged AAAs in pre-gig.

I allways unplug my bass(es) when not in use, it drains battery plugged in. I can't have a passive system in the TRB as it has active pickups so i allways have a spare battery at hand during gigs. When the battery is dying the sound fades a bit and a low volume "wistle", like a feedback, comes out of the amp so i have enough time to finish a song and replace a battery before the next one.

I wouldn't gig a bass without a quick release battery cover (i.e. battery fitted inside control cavity needing screw removal to get access) unless it was fitted with something similar to a Glock preamp - these preamps have active/passive operation and from all brands i've tried they're the ones that have absolutely no difference in volume/tone between passive and active.

My Warwick Thumb lasts for ages without a battery change, but I still wouldn't leave it plugged in if not actually playing it... having a mute pedal my EBS Microbass helps a lot to elimate thumps. The Thumb has active pickups and electronics, so once it goes it completely dies. The Warwick $$ I used to have had passive pickups, so had the ability to switch to full passive mid gig. Never came to that though, I was far too paranoid and would put new batteries in regularly.

on my fenders with the J retro preamp I've installed a micro toggle switch to isolate the battery. You have to remember to turn the volume down before using it to avoid the 'thump'.
I prefer that to having a lead hanging loose & having to turn down the amp which is a double pain after a sound check.
You soon get used to turning down the volume first.
Another great thing is, if you use the bass in passive mode, I switch the battery off because it's still powering the amp even though it's not in use.

If you decide to do it: use the switch to break the hot wire, It's the negative wire that breaks at the jack socket with most preamps so breaking the hot wire totally isolates the battery when the bass isn't in use.

Edited by Shonks

That guy who tested his 2015 Stingray by leaving it permanently plugged in virtually and playing gigs one or two times a week seemed to get 5 weeks before the battery charge dropped like a stone.

That's 835 hours.......

Therefore if you take the simple expedient of not leaving the bass plugged in when not using it most people should get well over a year of use.

He also found the battery never was at 9 volts - it was 7-8 volts - ran at six for ages but completely failed shortly after reducing to 5.5 volts.

So worry about battery death in an embarrassing situation on an active bass is, with a few straightforward measures, likely to be entirely avoidable without resorting to switches and the like (unless you really feel the need).

[quote name='Shonks' timestamp='1469723154' post='3100673']
on my fenders with the J retro preamp I've installed a micro toggle switch to isolate the battery. You have to remember to turn the volume down before using it to avoid the 'thump'.
I prefer that to having a lead hanging loose & having to turn down the amp which is a double pain after a sound check.
You soon get used to turning down the volume first.
Another great thing is, if you use the bass in passive mode, I switch the battery off because it's still powering the amp even though it's not in use.

If you decide to do it: use the switch to break the hot wire, It's the negative wire that breaks at the jack socket with most preamps so breaking the hot wire totally isolates the battery when the bass isn't in use.
[/quote]

It makes no difference where you break an electrical circuit, positive or negative, once the jack plug is out the negative is isolated and there is no potential difference for current to flow, switching the positive off will make exactly 0.0 mA of differnce compared to pulling the lead out :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1469639164' post='3099977']
I unplug any bass on stage between sets, saves big hoofed drummers hooking the cable and dragging basses off their stands!
[/quote]

Same here.

I unplug regardless whether it's passive or active. I don't like having a long cord around that someone can trip on attached to 'my precious'. I already make enough dings myself, I don't need help :lol:

I don't have a particular routine about replacing batteries. I started writing the date I install them on the battery, but it's not like I go back to check. I change them when I think "hmm, it's been a while", especially if I have a "serious" gig coming. The few times I had battery issues the bass sound doesn't just go, it sounds degraded for quite sometime... so if I think there's something odd, I replace the battery at the next break. But I usually replace them before I hear any degradation. I probably change the battery about once a year on the Stingray, which is the bass I used for gigs/rehearsals 90% of the time. At home I tend to use others, and the Stingray stays in the case ready to go.

Oh, and I never buy cheap batteries. I use Duracell and I buy them at a shop I trust, not Poundland. Cheap batteries are bad news, in my experience they are unreliable regarding their life, and may even leak. Not worth the risk for something that lasts a year!

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1469731323' post='3100752']
That guy who tested his 2015 Stingray by leaving it permanently plugged in virtually and playing gigs one or two times a week seemed to get 5 weeks before the battery charge dropped like a stone.

That's 835 hours.......

Therefore if you take the simple expedient of not leaving the bass plugged in when not using it most people should get well over a year of use.

He also found the battery never was at 9 volts - it was 7-8 volts - ran at six for ages but completely failed shortly after reducing to 5.5 volts.

So worry about battery death in an embarrassing situation on an active bass is, with a few straightforward measures, likely to be entirely avoidable without resorting to switches and the like (unless you really feel the need).
[/quote]

My old Warwick Corvette $$ (2005 model) sounded like crap once the battery read between 7.6-8V on my multimeter. It did take months to get there 'though. Duracell again.

Gigs - I unplug when I'm not playing it, as I use a wireless and it's attached to my belt, not the strap.

Rehearsals - I unplug if I take the bass off. I've got a switching jack plug on the lead I use for rehearsals for exactly that reason.

Can't remember when I last changed the battery in the Sei, and if it should suddenly die on me, I can just pull my knob.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1469661123' post='3100218']
Why not just have a switch fitted you can flip and leave the jack in. That is what I would do.
[/quote]
1. More potential points of failure.
2. Switch could get accidentally flipped mid gig.
3. Drill holes in my basses? I should co-co.
Pulling a jack is no big deal as long as you amp-mute.

At gigs I use a wireless attached to my strap which I always leave plugged in between sets. This thread has reminded me I've had my bass for just over a year ( around 50 gigs ) so it's time for a battery change.

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' timestamp='1470841234' post='3108866']
IVe had my battery in my bass for a good 3/4 years. Still not died, I just [b]switch it to Passive when not using it Active[/b]. I'm not playing it every day mind you...
[/quote]

switching it to passive does not prevent it from using up the battery, 'though. The circuit is powered up as long as you have a jack in the socket.