Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

28 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

I put my P&C in the effects loop of my Meatball for some great synth tones. 

Not much use on its own though.

I really like it for a squelchy synth tone, and if I do a 'pop' on the strings it comes through nearly clean so it works really well like that, especially with the blend dialled back so it adds a subtle fatness to the clean sound. I use it like my Bassballs, low sensitivity, digging in for accents with a muted palm attack. 

• Like 1

I built a Synth pedalboard a while back, but it was single-chain, mixed digital and analog pedals and it sounded awful. Really noisy. So, a couple of months ago, I decided to completely rebuild it with a loop switcher and dedicated power supply. As it turns out, the Harley Benton stuff is amazing - I’ve got the FXL 8pro and ISO-10ACPro fitted. Built like tanks, the switcher is 8-loop with midi and 2 switch outputs for amp channel etc. silent. Here’s the output, front and back - and midi is fitted, the Future Impact thru-forwards to the midi host interface which then allows me to use all the patches on the Source Audio C4. The Cali76 is a brand new addition, it’s amazing. 

I drive the Midi side with an FCB1010 with the ROM swapped out for the Uno one, which makes programming the pedal much simpler. I’ve also got a couple of expression pedals which plug into the SYB-5 and the SA envelope filter. The SYB in particular is really amazing with an expression pedal, it completely opens that pedal up. 

The board is amazing now - silent, really useful sounds, highly configurable. The only thing I still need to add is a midi splitter so I can drive the filter pedal as well, but that can wait for now. 

I’ve got one or two other pedals I may put on another board, a black finger compressor, original Q-Tron (considering the bypass mod for that), a Markbass Super Synth (original - it was on this board but it demands 550mA and 12v which is just way too much for most power supplies). 

hand soldering the audio cables became quite soothing and meditative, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. If anyone’s interested in the components I used, just ask. 

happy Xmas!

Andy

53C16A1E-6AE1-49BD-843D-FDF675A48663.jpeg

F6E1F4AB-27FF-4130-BABD-ACCE7C6B83FC.jpeg

Edited by basexperience
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, basexperience said:

I built a Synth pedalboard a while back, but it was single-chain, mixed digital and analog pedals and it sounded awful. Really noisy. So, a couple of months ago, I decided to completely rebuild it with a loop switcher and dedicated power supply. As it turns out, the Harley Benton stuff is amazing - I’ve got the FXL 8pro and ISO-10ACPro fitted. Built like tanks, the switcher is 8-loop with midi and 2 switch outputs for amp channel etc. silent. Here’s the output, front and back - and midi is fitted, the Future Impact thru-forwards to the midi host interface which then allows me to use all the patches on the Source Audio C4. The Cali76 is a brand new addition, it’s amazing. 

I drive the Midi side with an FCB1010 with the ROM swapped out for the Uno one, which makes programming the pedal much simpler. I’ve also got a couple of expression pedals which plug into the SYB-5 and the SA envelope filter. The SYB in particular is really amazing with an expression pedal, it completely opens that pedal up. 

The board is amazing now - silent, really useful sounds, highly configurable. The only thing I still need to add is a midi splitter so I can drive the filter pedal as well, but that can wait for now. 

I’ve got one or two other pedals I may put on another board, a black finger compressor, original Q-Tron (considering the bypass mod for that), a Markbass Super Synth (original - it was on this board but it demands 550mA and 12v which is just way too much for most power supplies). 

hand soldering the audio cables became quite soothing and meditative, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. If anyone’s interested in the components I used, just ask. 

happy Xmas!

Andy

53C16A1E-6AE1-49BD-843D-FDF675A48663.jpeg

F6E1F4AB-27FF-4130-BABD-ACCE7C6B83FC.jpeg

you know, it's much easier to learn to play the synthesiser...... not as much fun though.

• Like 2

A few small updates to my board...h9 has made a reappearance to keep it fairly compact on a pt2, gone with a smaller dedicated tuner, added two dedicated outs on the side and added a riser for the Volante to make tap and hold accessible. Really impressed with it.....considering it's just a bit of metal. 

May be one small change coming but this set up works really well for me.

DSC_2092.thumb.JPG.e927edaed267ce77369ec05c98c62825.JPG

DSC_2093.thumb.JPG.7b675192bd24f9929744833fd91ed123.JPG

DSC_2096.thumb.JPG.6383f8ef6895ea224e79356f6dc54271.JPG

• Like 6

…. so after I nearly bought my 9th Pedaltrain board (yup, I have a few 😳) I had a realisation I probably have too many. The Nano + is around £50 new now, I saw the D’Addario XPND 1 board for £70 and thought (well apart from not coming with a bag) it looks good AND it would mean I could sell my Pedaltrain boards (after also getting the XPND 2 for home use only!) to pay for it.

So I took the plunge and it arrived yesterday. Apart from having to use Velcro (and not Dual Lock) the board is very well made (requires some minor assembly) and it expands (or contracts depending 😁) for your pedal whims.

I have a fair selection now from my amassed pedal army, so hopefully it’ll be quick change arounds due to:

a. Not really caring about being so neat as I always find I change things after 5 mins.

b. Having large swathes of Velcro on the board, so no new individual Dual Lock needing to be cut etc, just place, power and patch and you’re away 👍🏼

c. Having the ability to put on pedals I actually want, rather than NEEDING to fill those awkward gaps 🤯.

If all goes well in the New Year some Pedaltrain boards will be finding their way to the BC Merry Go Round lol.

11A6611F-3127-41ED-A0E7-3E1DE5DC152C.thumb.jpeg.1a32852575bc824f218819538199e959.jpeg

5DB8A5CA-97AF-4C81-929A-06848C9FA2A2.thumb.jpeg.7c70a7a7e51c1bbee71fea0da6f41aca.jpeg

24071A76-7BD3-417A-A780-7B7AFBF0F2C4.thumb.jpeg.9c75b84a4b094b6140342eda0b3ba53b.jpeg

Edited by jimbobothy
… taken pics down.
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, jimbobothy said:

...NEEDING to fill those awkward gaps 🤯

Yes, guilty as charged! Awkward gaps are designed to make us buy more pedals! 😂

I must stop following this thread. Every time I get my board just right*, I see someone else's with a pedal I hadn't thought of/is better than mine/is just right to fill an awkward gap.

(*I have never got my board 'just right'.)

• Like 1

Thinking about buying a board, probably one of those Aclam ones with mounting blocks rather than using Velcro. The small size one should work, not sure I’d get my tuner on here too but I don’t really need it on the board. I’d probably go with these:

388C371A-160C-48A6-9503-54F68B9454CE.jpeg

• Like 6

So here is my Christmas 2022 reconfiguration.  The additions are the “Ditto +” (a looper) in the top left and the AirTurn (Bluetooth page turner) in the bottom right.   Any further additions will need to be both very small and 18V as I’m out of space and 9V power outlets.

Signal chain is: Switch for selecting from 2 basses (middle top), tuner (top right), Hypergravity compressor ( green one), octave ( blue one, bottom centre), chorus ( purple one), preamp ( far left), looper.  

The AirTurn isn’t in the signal chain. I intend using it at church , or at reading gigs.  It paired easily with the iPad and then worked with both apps I use for chord sheets without me having to do anything other than select the app.  The pages turn immediately both forwards and backwards.  It seems like an easy to use and useful bit of kit.

I intend using the looper mainly as a practice tool. So record something on the fretted bass then play over it with the fretless to help my intonation accuracy.  I’ll probably also use it as a drone then practice soloing over the drone.  I’m also hoping it takes me in a few different creative directions but we’ll see.

I did the reconfiguration at the in-laws on Boxing Day.  It was a bit of a krypton factor exercise fitting it all together. I then went and did another puzzle (jigsaw) with my lovely wife. Quite  enjoyable for an afternoon with the in-laws  😀.

9F252A18-661C-42D0-BCEF-69202B916B5A.jpeg

Edited by Simon C
  • Like 2

Haven’t been on in awhile, recovering a shoulder injury that went a bit Pete tong.

Anyway I can now play bass again so I put together what I like to call my ‘clover’ build.

watch this space it may be for sale shortly 🥳

067B7133-66D5-4915-B4EE-954F02370648.thumb.jpeg.e6fa1139aa0bc77903679f6e03019c33.jpeg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Haven’t been on in awhile, recovering a shoulder injury that went a bit Pete tong.

Anyway I can now play bass again so I put together what I like to call my ‘clover’ build.

watch this space it may be for sale shortly 🥳

067B7133-66D5-4915-B4EE-954F02370648.thumb.jpeg.e6fa1139aa0bc77903679f6e03019c33.jpeg

Oh yeah² ! 💎

Hi all, never been one for effects. Over the years I have used various fx pedals and multi fx (korg A5 Boss GT6b) but always went back to plugging straight in to my amp.

Having experienced a few amp issues decided to try a pre amp with DI so could plug straight into the desk if required. Opted for the NuX MLD. Not had the opportunity to compare with Sansamps or the likes but does the job well, particularly like the IR facility.

Never got on with compression but realised that I did not properly understand how to use it effectively. Tried 3 ended up with a spectacomp using a customised version of "Captin East" toneprint allowing 10% to 90% (ish) blend on the knob.

Liked the IR on the MLD. Tried 3 ended up with a NuX pulse IR loader. Really like this. I think of this as a multitude of pre set tones. Tend to use Ampeg 8x10 or Mesa 2x15 cab sims downloaded from the Internet.

Licked the idea of an octave. The Mooer tender pro does everything it should use it for a couple of tracks and probably won't last, not subtle enough for me.

Tuner, does the job.

Don't like having to run leads across the stage so powerd off an 18v powertool battery.

20221227_131352.thumb.jpg.647dcd62faf106ba322270fe4b5e9d41.jpg

• Like 4