Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

22 hours ago, Rosie C said:

This is about the third iteration of my home-made pedal board. Nothing fancy, just basic Boss pedals and a passive DI. The tuner has the handy side-effect of splitting out a signal for my IEMs. The EQ is mostly used to stop my upright feeding back. The pedal in the middle slot varies, but isn't ever tremolo when playing bass! I built the board for gigs with a PA, where I'm using IEMs - although I don't actually do any of those anymore. It runs from a cordless drill battery and I get 3-4 months use from a single charge. 

board - 1.jpeg

loving the idea of the drill battery.

Can you run us through about how you did it pls?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dudewheresmybass said:

loving the idea of the drill battery.

Can you run us through about how you did it pls?

It started at a small festival, the first time I used the Stage Bug. The new 9v battery in my GEB-7 pedal went flat after only 30 minutes right in the middle of our set. Maybe it was faulty, but as the first time with the Stage Bug actually connected to a mixing desk, I harboured suspicions that the Stagebug was somehow drawing power from the pedal. I looked around for various alternative batteries but anything good seemed expensive.

But, I found an article on the internet about using a drill battery and I had an Erbauer cordless drill and impact driver (https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-ebcd18li-2-18v-2-x-2-0ah-li-ion-ext-cordless-combi-drill/785hf) with a couple of batteries and a mains charger. I found a guy on ebay who 3D prints connectors for the battery - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194015784172  - the 4Ah battery fits straight on, the 2Ah needed a little modification. The battery is 18v, I found a pedal power supply that runs off 18v and has a bunch of 9v outputs:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D8NTK6Y   After that it was a just a bit of soldering. As a bonus, the pedal power supply has a USB socket too, so I can charge my phone.

I should probably add that lithium batteries can be dangerous and I have no electronics qualifications, so while it worked for me, anyone copying this is on their own!  :)

Edited by Rosie C
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Had a change, I wanted to go back to my smaller board as it’s festival season (shlep season!) This still allows me to run a separate chain to my IEMs with amp sim etc (or to my Headrush cabs) and then send my main signal to FOH. The EQ on the right is for a few notes in a royal blood song. 

IMG_8172.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 7

Niche, but: any Source Audio One series + Neuro hub users looking for shorter TRRS cables, these 15cm jobbies work fine: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232137198256?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=KdbkegI-THW&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=XkJqNoezT9i&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Not as flexible as the SA supplied cables, but waaaaay shorter!

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Like 1

Been having a tidy and sort out of my gear but that means I can also have a play with a new setup on the board. Came up with this that I think will work with some extra pedal and switching options.

Basics are tuner 

Big muff in a loop (send/return) so you can blend clean in (makes it useful for bass and cheaper than the ones everyone says work better for low end etc)

Chorus and reverb in another loop 

Octave 

Looper pedal to try out.

Hopefully will get chance to plug it in and give it a good try this week.

IMG_20230731_162119_HDR.thumb.jpg.2e816e1d722f8d3a5bf0e466b69fb841.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pantherairsoft said:

It's been nearly a month since I posted a pic of my board and I've not thought about buying another pedal once. I think this may be a new record!

Don't worry, the Basschat emergency first responders are on their way. Just breath normally and try not to panic - you'll be fine. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It's been nearly a month since I posted a pic of my board and I've not thought about buying another pedal once. I think this may be a new record!

I think we may need moderators to weigh in here. This is suspect behaviour at best, really!

• Haha 3

Don't worry, it's here for you: http://www.basschat.co.uk/forum/69-effects-for-sale/

Edited by iamtheelvy
  • Haha 1

My father-in-law has loaned me his original Japanese Boss DC-2 from the 80s (boxed with till receipt). He won't sell it but he's pleased to see it in use. I wanted to have a small board for 80s Alternative stuff that I am playing locally in pubs. So I picked up a Boss BCB-30X and added the overdrive and tuner. I'm pleased with how it has turned out. Light and portable too.

IMG_4035.jpg.6cfd4b8a76f265b3ee4aeaa8b5fffe69.jpg

IMG_4033.jpg.adffe33f1781ed50bc5d81ee74e38363.jpg

IMG_4034.jpg.0f7810d0822483b815cbab52a9e426dd.jpg

• Like 9

image.thumb.jpg.9e0ea2464d85fb58637e78645c0724a3.jpg

I’m currently McLuvin this board. Use it for home practice (using the headphone out on the Genz Benz Streamliner 900, which is sat upon a Barefaced BB2 (IEMs only now, hence sat there being used for practice, arrgh!!)). Get some great edge of breakup with all the valves available in the signal chain. Having a bit of a break from constant board construction now, hopefully put the time into actual practice  (rather than endless pedal tweaking 😬).

Best thing is though a mate gave me the DHA, top man 👍🏼

3A500B62-F469-461B-A2E9-3B1BE822054D.thumb.jpeg.57108650d7aa8eb7b296079835fc5e62.jpeg

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, jimbobothy said:

image.thumb.jpg.9e0ea2464d85fb58637e78645c0724a3.jpg

I’m currently McLuvin this board. Use it for home practice (using the headphone out on the Genz Benz Streamliner 900, which is sat upon a Barefaced BB2 (IEMs only now, hence sat there being used for practice, arrgh!!)). Get some great edge of breakup with all the valves available in the signal chain. Having a bit of a break from constant board construction now, hopefully put the time into actual practice  (rather than endless pedal tweaking 😬).

Best thing is though a mate gave me the DHA, top man 👍🏼

3A500B62-F469-461B-A2E9-3B1BE822054D.thumb.jpeg.57108650d7aa8eb7b296079835fc5e62.jpeg

Love to try that 👆👍

• Like 1

Speaking of power supplies - biggest surprise to me was the quality of the Harley Benton ISO PRO supply - it’s built like a tank and it happily supplies all these pedals. Multi-voltage too, but not huge loads at higher volts. Worth a peek, and IEC in as well. They do a modular system too, with IEC interconnects.

IMG_8443.thumb.jpeg.99cae43b6b48ec2b3cfcca97a188abd5.jpeg

IMG_8422.jpeg

• Like 3