Why become a member? ×

Buying a new bass need help

wishface

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469548412' post='3099286']
I don't have a bass amp at the moment.
[/quote]
Have you had an amp? Maybe that's a higher priority than trying to get a perfect bass? After all, if you don't have an amp you can't really judge what the bass sounds like?

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1469547698' post='3099278']
The SR500 is made from better woods, but that's marginal tbh. The most noticeable difference are the electronics. The pick ups and eq pre amp are much better on the 500.

Personally, if I could find a second hand SR700 I'd grab it. They go for about £250. It's basically a 500 with a nicer finished body. Brand new they were upwards of £500.

My only criticism of the 300s are the weaker pick ups
[/quote]
I'm not seeing where has instruments at these kinds of prices. Ebay (which has bugger all anyway - unless you fancy buying from the abroad) doesn't seem to.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/288434-coming-up-north-now-only-l450-ibanez-japan-prestige-sr3000/page__p__3093814__hl__ibanez__fromsearch__1#entry3093814
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/285408-sold-ibanez-sr300-strung-bead/page__p__3086750__hl__ibanez__fromsearch__1#entry3086750
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/286278-sold-ibanez-sr700-great-condition-with-ibanez-premium-case-bartolini-pickups-l350/page__p__3079854__hl__ibanez__fromsearch__1#entry3079854
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/286248-ibanez-sr600/page__p__3075157__hl__ibanez__fromsearch__1#entry3075157

[quote name='bassix' timestamp='1469558797' post='3099386']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/288434-coming-up-north-now-only-l450-ibanez-japan-prestige-sr3000/page__p__3093814__hl__ibanez__fromsearch__1#entry3093814"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry3093814[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/285408-sold-ibanez-sr300-strung-bead/page__p__3086750__hl__ibanez__fromsearch__1#entry3086750"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry3086750[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/286278-sold-ibanez-sr700-great-condition-with-ibanez-premium-case-bartolini-pickups-l350/page__p__3079854__hl__ibanez__fromsearch__1#entry3079854"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry3079854[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/286248-ibanez-sr600/page__p__3075157__hl__ibanez__fromsearch__1#entry3075157"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry3075157[/url]
[/quote]I'd pay £100 for an sr370, but not one set for BEAD.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469546480' post='3099258']
Thanks, but I'm not sure 5 strings are for me (mainly because of the cost of a set of strings - they're already dear enough for 4).
[/quote]

But strings last a LONG time, especially if you don't require that they sound ultra bright all the time. I keep mine on months at a time.

The thing to do is go into PMT and be prepared to sit down and try as many basses as you like the look of within your price range. If they know you are serious about finding the right bass, they will line them up for you.

It's hard to buy a really bad bass these days. There are a few makes that you may not wish to bother with - Eastcourt, etc.

What you will be looking for is a bass that you can get a wide variety of pleasing tones out of, through an amp that is not set with the tones extremely boosted. Sit down and alter tones controls, try pickup combinations / on-off, get to understand the basses a little. Listen to what other people are playing, talk to them as they try the basses - see what they like and don't like about them. People love to gab about basses.

As to the quality of any of these basses, the Squiers, Epiphones and Yamahas of this world are big-selling guitars because they have most of the features of more expnsive basses at more sensible prices. A really good Squier can sound and play better than a dull average Fender. It's hard to comment on the actual build quality of a particular one individual bass from a production run accurately without dismantling and reassembling it

It may not be on your first visit that you find the right bass, but with a bit of effort, you will get closer to knowing what the basses in store have about them that you like / dislike. Good luck.

I've got a nice no-name jazz copy going up soon. It's black with rosewood FB. 43mm nut, great sound. Both pups have some bite to them with good bass thump. It's not too far off a P tone when used on the neck pup.

The maple neck has some really cool birds-eye grain on the headstock.

I'll be after about £100 for it. I'm only selling as I need to clear some space. I'll try to get some pics up in the next day or so. A link will be in my signature.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469540501' post='3099161']

I don't think i've seen a bass collection on sale anywhere apart from years ago at the Bass Centre in London
[/quote]
Absolute bargain.
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=Nanyo%20

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469562739' post='3099436']
Presumably if the pickups are he only inferior aspect of the sr300 one could later replace them?
[/quote]

The only replacement pick ups I've found that would fit an SR300 are the Bartolini MK4 soapbars. The ones they use in the SR500. They're about £200 for the pair.

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1469610481' post='3099654']
The only replacement pick ups I've found that would fit an SR300 are the Bartolini MK4 soapbars. The ones they use in the SR500. They're about £200 for the pair.
[/quote]

From a quick google the SR500 use's MK1 pups. I'd guess they're a budget eastern made version of the MK4s to keep costs down.
Don't quote me on it though! :happy:

It's generally not worth upgrading the pickups on a cheap bass unless you REALLY plan on keeping it, £150 of pickups in a £150 bass won't get you much of a price increase if you sell it, maybe £50 if you are lucky.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1469615727' post='3099702']
It's generally not worth upgrading the pickups on a cheap bass unless you REALLY plan on keeping it, £150 of pickups in a £150 bass won't get you much of a price increase if you sell it, maybe £50 if you are lucky.
[/quote]

True, 'upgrades' rarely add much value to teh bass when selling. Worth keeping the original pickups and putting them back before selling the bass.

You're doing things the wrong way round I'm afraid.

You have a budget but not a lot of idea about what you want in a bass. To save on heartache (and financial losses) try as many basses as you can (right up to the £10k mark, you only live once), list what you do and don't like about each. Following that look through and see what each cost, what you did and didn't like and try and decide which one you realistically want.

Example : You try a whole load of basses and you find you have 5 clear favourites.

Ibanez £300 new : You like the skinny neck, but the sound is limited, not a fan of passive basses. New pickups may improve this
Ibanez £500 new : You like the skinny neck and it's got a great sound, the active circuit is awesome. Shame about the looks though
Ibanez £700 new : You love the skinny neck and the sound, the active circuit is great. Looks great too
Yamaha £500 new : You don't like the skinny neck but a great sound, you really like the active sound. Looks alright though
Fender £1200 new : You like the skinny neck and the sound, plus it looks great, the passive sound on this you surprisingly like

For the fun of it you tried a fodera too :P
Fodera £10k new : You don't like the neck or the sound... plus it fugly eurgh why to people buy these

From the above you can now look at your budget : Lets say you have £300, you could buy the cheap Ibanez new but you know you're not fond of the sound, the £500 Ibanez is much more your style so you'll keep an eye out for the second hand one which tends to come up in budget. In the meantime you might also keep saving just incase the £700 Ibanez comes up second hand.

From doing this you have also found :
You like active basses with skinny necks although you do like "some" passive basses with the right pickups.

You now know what you're looking for :)

Wise words, Mr Charic. Wise words. I'm surprised that the OP seems to loath to try out more expensive basses as, a) it's a treat and b.) there is still lots to learn about what is important to you in a bass. Like you outline, it helps narrow down options.

From personal example as a youth lusted after Rickenbaker basses. I loved the sound and I loved the look (it was the Ricky in my older brother's band that drew me to the bass in the first place). Then I tried a few. Hated the necks. New info, aspirations and inclinations duly adjusted. See also P-bass and Stingray necks etc.

Edited by TrevorR

Just been to pmt and the music room on college green. Tried an sr370. Wasn't impressed. The pickups were to big to work with for resting thumb on when plucking and the harmonics wye pretty dead. The tone was decent but overall no deal. It didn't help that the dry up was terrible making a fair assessment impossible.

I tried a226 quid Yamaha trbx30 in the music room which seemed is better, but I don't know anything about this bass. That really want much else with posting. I've alresfy tried the sub music man and that was all they had within my passive range. I didn't see the point of wasting time trying a bunch of expensive bases I can't afford

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469623946' post='3099806']
Just been to pmt and the music room on college green. Tried an sr370. Wasn't impressed. The pickups were to big to work with for resting thumb on when plucking and the harmonics wye pretty dead. The tone was decent but overall no deal. It didn't help that the dry up was terrible making a fair assessment impossible.

I tried a226 quid Yamaha trbx30 in the music room which seemed is better, but I don't know anything about this bass. That really want much else with posting. I've alresfy tried the sub music man and that was all they had within my passive range. I didn't see the point of wasting time trying a bunch of expensive bases I can't afford
[/quote]

You can't afford it [i]today[/i], so save up if you find something you like.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1469627100' post='3099836']
You can't afford it [i]today[/i], so save up if you find something you like.
[/quote]What I liked was the TRBX 30, so I would like to know what people think of it. The ibanez is a no go; it may be aweseome if it's properly set up, but I'm not taking a chance on buying something from a shop that can't be arsed to set up what it's selling. Besides the pick ups and harmonics were an issue that's important

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1469636543' post='3099953']

Who cares if thats what you liked?
[/quote]

As i said before he is seeking peer confirmation. I don't think you should actually buy anything until you can make a decision for yourself.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469623946' post='3099806']

[/quote]

My Yamaha TRBX is for sale here for £150. PM me if you're interested mate - I can vouch for them being great, reliable basses (I've had no back up for 12 months). Plus the thumbrest is neat too