Why become a member? ×

Buying a new bass need help

wishface

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1469354407' post='3097558']
If you're not happy with the weight, then the neck and tuners are probably too heavy for the body - sell it.

Dead-spots; most basses have spots that may not be as powerful as others. You can even have that on some more expensive basses.

Intonation shouldn't move. If it's set right, it should be set for life, or at least the life of the strings - you could change the bridge to fix this.

Varnished fingerboards are generally what you get with a maple board. No fingerboard should get very dirty though. It's best to wash your hands before you play.

Access to the E-string at the dusty end - this is near impossible on a lot of basses. But playing up here is the sign of a sick mind and it's only put there by luthiers as a tormentation. :P

Flappy E-string - I don't know if you've ever changed the strings. But cheap strings can give some interesting results. I even bought a cheap bass once that had 2 A strings - one was fitted as a D string, so the tension was really high - to make it go up a few notes. Maybe you've got a dodgy E string.

Go play some basses. If PMT only have expensive basses, still play them. OK you won't buy, but who cares? They chose to put them up there. It's a choice they make. And by trying them you'll get a feel for what you would get at the top end. You never know you might find the result surprising. Maybe what you're cursing in a cheap instrument is still there in some top-end basses? Maybe you'll find other things you don't like?
[/quote]

The weight is an issue, but it's not the most important. I can cope with it, meaning if the ideal bnass for me was the same weight I'd cope.

There's a dead spot on the 9th fret D string, the B doesn't sustain as long as it should.

I'm not sure it's worth changing the bridge. I'd rather invest in a better instrument. I've tried intonating it myself and the E string saddle is as far back as it'll go and it really doesn't help. The rest of it is ok.

i've changed the strings, i'm ok doing that. But it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I don't know who Revelation are, but the instrument looks nice and is an obvious Jazz clone.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1469354909' post='3097567']
Oh I missed you already said about PMT. They have a good range in there, try to see what you like if you can. Never found them that friendly but have played a few in there. Would have bought a SRFF705 in there, but they only had the 6.
[/quote]

I don't know what that is. But they have a somewhat spartan range tbh and a lot of cheap basses, but i don't recognise the make apart from a squier and maybe a couple of yamahas, a 'stagg' and one of those SUB basses iirc. I didn't try anything at the time because i was absolutely exhausted walking around and didn't have the energy to pester a salesperson

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1469358418' post='3097615']
Quality shows up in the wood, and build and hardware.
Personally I don't think you'll find it in a cheap bass
but if you can reconcile what you are happy with for the money you are able, or want to pay, then only you can answer that question.
Revelation look OK for the money..
[/quote]Well that depends. Obviously a new Jazz would cost (according to the shops) over a grand. That's fine, if I can't afford it then so be it, but if i can find something that's good that's cheaper for some reason then all the better. That's all I'm asking. This Sire v7 thing sounds promising but i've never seen them on sale.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1469350713' post='3097509']
could you get to Exeter? Mansons have quite a few basses you could try, and a good number of used ones too.
[/quote]

Really? Have the expanded then? Last time I was there their range of basses were tiny.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469371025' post='3097755']
I don't know what that is. But they have a somewhat spartan range tbh and a lot of cheap basses, but i don't recognise the make apart from a squier and maybe a couple of yamahas, a 'stagg' and one of those SUB basses iirc. I didn't try anything at the time because i was absolutely exhausted walking around and didn't have the energy to pester a salesperson
[/quote]

PMT in bristol?
They have a wall of Ibanez (about 20), a lot of yamaha, squier, fender, Sub, Musicman, Rickenbacker, washburn, epiphone as well as some of the no name brands.
I can't think (or don't know of one) of another shop in that area that has a bigger range of basses. OK, its not like one of the actual bass shops like wunjo or the bass center, but there are none around there, or the big guys like andersons etc, but they are not close either.

I agree, it is a lot of effort to get someone to help there, which is the reason it wouldn't be my first choice to get something there, but hard to match the choice. Kind of the opposite to Mansons above, they have a small range but very helpful.

Obviously a lot of those brands are out of your budget at the moment, but the key thing is finding something you like first and then working out what you can afford second.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469370108' post='3097748']
Is there a shop that sells them? I'd rather that than deal with ebay, frankly.
[/quote] no... i think one of the way's they keep the prices down is by cutting out shops but if you get one delivered from Thomann and dont like it you can always get your money back

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1469372416' post='3097768']
PMT in bristol?
They have a wall of Ibanez (about 20), a lot of yamaha, squier, fender, Sub, Musicman, Rickenbacker, washburn, epiphone as well as some of the no name brands.
I can't think (or don't know of one) of another shop in that area that has a bigger range of basses. OK, its not like one of the actual bass shops like wunjo or the bass center, but there are none around there, or the big guys like andersons etc, but they are not close either.

I agree, it is a lot of effort to get someone to help there, which is the reason it wouldn't be my first choice to get something there, but hard to match the choice. Kind of the opposite to Mansons above, they have a small range but very helpful.

Obviously a lot of those brands are out of your budget at the moment, but the key thing is finding something you like first and then working out what you can afford second.
[/quote]Yes, i was referring to the products within my price range. But of those I do not know which would be good. It would be great if they stocked this sire v7 as that sounds very promising.

I've never had a problem with the staff, but i don't imagine they are going to be objective enough to address my concerns. They want to make a sale. I don't know any of the products in there.

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1469372976' post='3097774']
no... i think one of the way's they keep the prices down is by cutting out shops but if you get one delivered from Thomann and dont like it you can always get your money back
[/quote]That's a shame, i'd rather try it before buying it. They sound promising but they might not be suitable

I'm tempted to pop into PMT (whatanunfortunatename) tomorrow, but my problem, with all the stuff they have, is that I don't know how to make an informed choice. What i'm hearing about the sire v7 is very positive. But until i'd heard that stuff on here, it could have been in the shop and I'd be none the wiser, and that's the problem.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469370236' post='3097751']
I thought the Revelation was ok and I don't regret buying it. But I find it uncomfortable.
[/quote]

This is why putting in the legwork and trying as many basses as you can is so important. You'll know when you've found the style of bass is right for you, then you look at what the options are within your budget.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1469375891' post='3097799']
This is why putting in the legwork and trying as many basses as you can is so important. You'll know when you've found the style of bass is right for you, then you look at what the options are within your budget.
[/quote]That's what I did. It was the best, then, that I could afford and find.

However that was then, this is now.

Again: i don't want to just buy something that's going to be no better than the cheap bass I have right now. What would be the point. I want something that is good. If that is not possible, then fine.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469370236' post='3097751']
Define ok, though. That's my point. I want something that is objectively good, not just good-for-the-price.

I thought the Revelation was ok and I don't regret buying it. But I find it uncomfortable. It feels too big and too small simultaneously, I can't dequately explain it.
[/quote]

I didn't want to say good luck with getting a quality bass for less than £1k... but for that money I'd be looking very very closely at the hardware....and er...woods and build.

The difference between an ok bridge and a good bridge is not that much in the grand scheme of things but you have to check who puts the better kit on...as opposed how cheap they can get away with.

My thoughts are based on a used very well known bass... and I'm basically going to swap out the lot..:lol: :lol:

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469390006' post='3097962']
Perhaps I should wait until i'm in a more 'playing' situation, which I am currently not.
[/quote]

I don't see why you need to. Just go to some shops and try the 'types' of bass, see what you like - do you like a fender P or a J, 4 or 5 string, Ibanez, yamaha etc.
Once you know what feels right, you can look for things like it. If you like a fender J, then there are Squier / Lakland / Sire / Maruszczyk etc, and go for different features on price, knowing that there is a similarity. The same with the other 'Types', there are different models in the range at different prices, with the features only slightly changing over price.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469387908' post='3097938']
thanks for the replies. I'm going to have to decide if spending this money is worthwhile at this time
[/quote]

It isn't as you don't have a clue what you actually want or what people are suggesting. Go to PMT and TRY things. Come back and tell us what you liked.

P.s. ignore the name on the headstock

Edited by Machines

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1469395628' post='3098016']

It isn't as you don't have a clue what you actually want or what people are suggesting. Go to PMT and TRY things. Come back and tell us what you liked.

P.s. ignore the name on the headstock
[/quote]

The name per se isn't the issue, but as a general indicator of quality.

But the question is, will I find something better than what I have?

Edited by wishface

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469428303' post='3098094']
The name per se isn't the issue, but as a general indicator of quality.
[/quote]

The name isn't always a general indicator of quality. There are good and bad in all makes (and it doesn't always follow price)

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469428303' post='3098094']
But the question is, week I find something better than what I have?
[/quote]

You won't know if you don't try.

Trying different bases isn't the issue. How do I know from just playing that the bass is going to be of good quality? I dustiest am off these instruments are playable, but that tells me nothing about the quality of the components. Will the intonation hold? Will the but fall off like my last bad when I changed strings?

That's a reason that more pro musicians don't use this level of instrument. After all if they were great quality, why wouldn't they save the money from buying a brand name?

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469431211' post='3098112']
Trying different bases isn't the issue. How do I know from just playing that the bass is going to be of good quality? I dustiest am off these instruments are playable, but that tells me nothing about the quality of the components. Will the intonation hold? Will the but fall off like my last bad when I changed strings?

That's a reason that more pro musicians don't use this level of instrument. After all if they were great quality, why wouldn't they save the money from buying a brand name?
[/quote]

You're asking us to make decisions for you. Learn yourself based on the feedback we've already given.

PMT don't sell rubbish apart from ther Eastcoast (Stagg) range. Everything from there is fit for purpose

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1469440174' post='3098225'] You're asking us to make decisions for you. Learn yourself based on the feedback we've already given. PMT don't sell rubbish apart from ther Eastcoast (Stagg) range. Everything from there is fit for purpose [/quote]No i'm just pointing out that some issues don't show up in a few minutes playing.