Why become a member? ×

Buying a new bass need help

wishface

Having just skimmed through the thread, I detect certain frustration from some posters because you can't narrow down better what sort of bass you're after.
I understand that, how can anybody suggest anything when the only requirement is 'good'? That's way too vague.

BUT, that's kind of a wonderful position to be in. Usually when I want a bass, I have at least a good idea what kind I want: maybe Jazz-like, or more Stingray? or a hybrid?... But it would be great to just say "I need a bass, let's see what's out there" and just get out and try things.
Eventually you'll come across one that will make you smile, and you'll know that's the one.
It may not happen in a week, 'though.

That's why all the advice you got about getting out and try basses, any basses, is the best you can get, I think, even if it's not what you want to hear.

You seem concerned about not knowing about the instrument's quality from playing it a little bit. I think you will. If it feels good, balances well and it's comfortable, if it plays nicely and sounds good to you... then it'll be good. Electric basses are pretty basic things. Even on the cheapest basses the tuners will work and the bridge will work etc... it's not like a car that it looks good in the show room and feels ok when you take it for a spin but a month later the timing belt may go and kill the car. While expensive brands tend to produce mostly good instruments and the cheapest ones not so good ones, the midrange, where you seem to be aiming for, is a lot more mixed. Some Squier "Classic Vibe" series are truly fantastic instruments, for instance. But you need to go out and try things until you find the one for you. You don't seem to know (or have a preference) whether you are after a single pickup or twin pickup bass, or what kind of neck you like? There are Jazz basses for instance with very thin necks, as are most of Ibanez SR series... and Precision/Stingray basses with thicker necks. Most people tend to have a preference there and that can at least filter out certain options and allow to focus the search more.

We can't do that for you.

If you have queries about comparing individual instruments, I'm sure someone can comment. If you indicate the kind of bass you like, I'm sure someone can comment. But if you just ask for a good bass, and even your budget is vague... you're not helping us much here.

:)

Just a thought, but have you considered that maybe the strings on your current bass might be causing some of the issues you are having with it.

Badly fitted strings can cause all sorts of tuning stability issues - fitting strings properly does require a bit of knowhow beyond simply taking them out of the packet and slapping them on - it isn't safe to assume that emplyees in factories making instruments or music shops selling them are going to do this properly.

Not all strings are created equal, and if you are really having big problems with mismatched tension accross the strings, it's worth looking at what strings are actually fitted to the bass - if the answer to this is 'the ones that it came fitted with' then swapping out to some decent quality strings will be a very worthwhile upgrade. There is so much on this forum about basses, pickups, amps and effects that it is easy to lose sight of how big a difference changing to a different brand/guage/type of string can make to both tone and playability.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469445497' post='3098293']
What's that supposed to mean? You posted saying go and try some instruments out and them ask. Now you want to throw your toys out the pram?
[/quote]
So did you try out those 2 instruments ? You didn't say that you did, and if so, what was your own opinion ? You are seeking peer confirmation when we could be equally unqualified, and would only relay our own preferences.

p.s. SR500 is much better.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1469457067' post='3098423']
So did you try out those 2 instruments ? You didn't say that you did, and if so, what was your own opinion ? You are seeking peer confirmation when we could be equally unqualified, and would only relay our own preferences.

p.s. SR500 is much better.
[/quote]

I was asked to comment on basses here.

I haven't been to the shop yet, I don't live in Bristol. I went to their website and saw what they had in stock within my price range and had a look at what I could find. Those two seem to be the best choices, but the SR500 is nearly £500 so at present it's out of my price range. The opinion from googling seems to be in agreement that it's better, but it is more expensive. it looks like a decent instrument.

With a budget of under £500 and wanting something a little 'special' I'd be looking to buy second hand. Not only you get an opportunity to buy better instruments, but if you decide they're not for you you can sell them again with minimal or no loss (and sometimes you could even make some profit if you're lucky!).

I sold my SR505 for under £250, which is about how things go, sometimes more, sometimes less. The ranges go up by the first number, so the 500 is better than the 300, the 700 is up from that etc.

But frankly I would have no qualms gigging a 305 if that was what around, even though usually I would use my 1605, because basically they are well made instruments. In fact, when it came to instruments in PMT, I can't say I would worry about picking up any instruments in there and going and gigging it the same night, other than some don't suit me (the 6 strings, and anything with a huge neck like the fender or sandberg 5s).

It is really hard to get a low quality bass these days compared to what the normal was a few decades ago. Just get something that feels good to you and it will probably be fine.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469431211' post='3098112']
That's a reason that more pro musicians don't use this level of instrument. After all if they were great quality, why wouldn't they save the money from buying a brand name?
[/quote]

You could be surprised. I bought a tatty old 1980s Marlin Slammer from a guy in Norwich. He is a pro bassist. He always only has 2 basses. They're always both old cheap ones.

I think you'll find pros are less precious about the instrument. To most pros they're simply a tool. Many use Fenders. Not because they're good, but more because they're very easy to work on, replace parts or replace as a whole.

I think if you do a bit of research and buy something used for £300, you'll get a pretty damn good bass. Whether that's the right bass for you is a different story and, as others have said, requires having played quite a few first.

Personally I stick with Yamaha basses because that's what I'm comfortable using live and in the studio. They're very affordable and have excellent build quality, so I'd recommend looking at them. (I'm selling a TRBX304 for £150 over at the sell forum, and if you like active basses I don't think you'll find a better one for that money)

[quote name='progben' timestamp='1469519598' post='3098882']
I think if you do a bit of research and buy something used for £300, you'll get a pretty damn good bass. Whether that's the right bass for you is a different story and, as others have said, requires having played quite a few first.

Personally I stick with Yamaha basses because that's what I'm comfortable using live and in the studio. They're very affordable and have excellent build quality, so I'd recommend looking at them. (I'm selling a TRBX304 for £150 over at the sell forum, and if you like active basses I don't think you'll find a better one for that money)
[/quote]
I'm no fan of Yamhahas, the tone it's normally one I go for, but I do like the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TRBX range. It has a more bottom-end tone which is more to my liking. At that price you can afford to get a well built, reliable bass. If you don't like it, you can sell for the same price you bought for. No risk![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]THAT's why we say buy "used".[/font][/color]

[quote name='progben' timestamp='1469519598' post='3098882']

[/quote]The choices in PMT are basically Ibanez or Yamaha or Squier, iirc. Was last in there on friday.

I don't know what Yamaha products are comparable with the sr500. But that seems a good benchmark if I can find one second hand.

TBH when it comes to tone I am fairly flexible. I have yet to try an instrument where I felt the sound was bad. There are some bass sounds I dont like: really thin trebly tones, or really flat tones. But everything you hear is likley processed anyway. I don't spend time listening to live bass sounds.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1469522805' post='3098915']
I found the TRBX504 I had to be one of the blandest instruments I've ever owned. Very disappointing bass
[/quote]i had a listen to some demo sounds on the THomann website and it sounds kinda flat. The 'rock' tone had some fuzz, but it was rather woolly

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469532597' post='3099018']
i had a listen to some demo sounds on the THomann website and it sounds kinda flat. The 'rock' tone had some fuzz, but it was rather woolly
[/quote]
Listening to demos is a start. But don't forget the sound you get also depends on the amp and the person playing. Your sound is as unique to you as your handwriting is.

Here is my take.

In my time I have owned lots of different basses. The best one is the one you like playing and feel comfortable with. It doesn't matter at this stage if anyone on here thinks its good or its crap. Chances are that you aren't at a stage in your playing where the particular pro's or cons of a given instrument are going to be on your radar.

You are on a journey and you just need the instrument for where you are now. Buying 2nd hand on here in a given range will get you an instrument which has depreciated and therefore if you don't get on with it you can just sell it and get another with negligible losses.

You are not going to know what you like until you have lived with it for a while and many bass players compromise on one aspect or another of an instrument. It goes play ability over tone or the other way round usually.

So look in here, see which of the instruments change hands regularly and for sensible money. These are your best bets. If you have hands like shovels neck width won't bother you but string spacing will if you have small hands then you will commonly favour a slimmer neck.

Personally I don't think you will go far wrong with a Musicman Sub, a Mexican Fender J or if you can find one a Bass Collection. Yamaha and Peavy tend to be marmite, warwick can be overpriced for newish players. Get a Fender or an MM sub. If it doesn't work it will sell and quickly and you can try something else.

Please don;t forget - what ever you buy get it set up - a set up makes all the difference.

Wishing you all the best.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1469538073' post='3099118']
Listening to demos is a start. But don't forget the sound you get also depends on the amp and the person playing. Your sound is as unique to you as your handwriting is.
[/quote]Of course, but I can only use the amp they have in the shop at the time. I would hope they have a halfway decent amp setup

[quote name='pmjos' timestamp='1469538317' post='3099123']
Here is my take.

In my time I have owned lots of different basses. The best one is the one you like playing and feel comfortable with. It doesn't matter at this stage if anyone on here thinks its good or its crap. Chances are that you aren't at a stage in your playing where the particular pro's or cons of a given instrument are going to be on your radar.

You are on a journey and you just need the instrument for where you are now. Buying 2nd hand on here in a given range will get you an instrument which has depreciated and therefore if you don't get on with it you can just sell it and get another with negligible losses.

You are not going to know what you like until you have lived with it for a while and many bass players compromise on one aspect or another of an instrument. It goes play ability over tone or the other way round usually.

So look in here, see which of the instruments change hands regularly and for sensible money. These are your best bets. If you have hands like shovels neck width won't bother you but string spacing will if you have small hands then you will commonly favour a slimmer neck.

Personally I don't think you will go far wrong with a Musicman Sub, a Mexican Fender J or if you can find one a Bass Collection. Yamaha and Peavy tend to be marmite, warwick can be overpriced for newish players. Get a Fender or an MM sub. If it doesn't work it will sell and quickly and you can try something else.

Please don;t forget - what ever you buy get it set up - a set up makes all the difference.

Wishing you all the best.
[/quote]Thanks.

In Mickleburgh (Bristol) the basses have a label attached saying it was setup. Surely that should be the norm otherwise noone trying an instrument is going to be able to form a decent opinion if the intonation's out and there's buzz everywhere.

I don't think i'll bother with the Sub. I'd prefer the twin pickup style (whatever the pickups themselves are).

I don't think i've seen a bass collection on sale anywhere apart from years ago at the Bass Centre in London

Edited by wishface

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469540501' post='3099161']
I don't think i've seen a bass collection on sale anywhere apart from years ago at the Bass Centre in London
[/quote]
There's one F/S at this moment in the For Sale forum although it's a 5 String. They really are stupidly cheap for what you get. Fantastic build quality, Gotoh hardware and IMHO you won't get more bang for your buck than one of those. They do come up on eBay from time to time and also on Facebook selling forums. Don't confuse the Jap built SGC Nanyo's with the SX ones or the ones The Bass Centre are now selling, although these are pretty good according to The Great British Bass Lounge who also sell them.
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/288203-sgc-nanyo-bass-collection-sb315-japan-1991/page__p__3094872__hl__bass%20collection__fromsearch__1#entry3094872

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1469542168' post='3099202']
There's one F/S at this moment in the For Sale forum although it's a 5 String. They really are stupidly cheap for what you get. Fantastic build quality, Gotoh hardware and IMHO you won't get more bang for your buck than one of those. They do come up on eBay from time to time and also on Facebook selling forums. Don't confuse the Jap built SGC Nanyo's with the SX ones or the ones The Bass Centre are now selling, although these are pretty good according to The Great British Bass Lounge who also sell them.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/288203-sgc-nanyo-bass-collection-sb315-japan-1991/page__p__3094872__hl__bass%20collection__fromsearch__1#entry3094872"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry3094872[/url]
[/quote]Thanks, but I'm not sure 5 strings are for me (mainly because of the cost of a set of strings - they're already dear enough for 4).

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469540423' post='3099159']
Of course, but I can only use the amp they have in the shop at the time. I would hope they have a halfway decent amp setup
[/quote]
I take mine along. I've never been refused permission to use it.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469542093' post='3099200']
How is the Ibanez sr500 superior to the 300? I bet if i'd played them, I wouldn't notice much of a difference.
[/quote]

The SR500 is made from better woods, but that's marginal tbh. The most noticeable difference are the electronics. The pick ups and eq pre amp are much better on the 500.

Personally, if I could find a second hand SR700 I'd grab it. They go for about £250. It's basically a 500 with a nicer finished body. Brand new they were upwards of £500.

My only criticism of the 300s are the weaker pick ups

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1469547698' post='3099278']
The SR500 is made from better woods, but that's marginal tbh. The most noticeable difference are the electronics. The pick ups and eq pre amp are much better on the 500.

Personally, if I could find a second hand SR700 I'd grab it. They go for about £250. It's basically a 500 with a nicer finished body. Brand new they were upwards of £500.

My only criticism of the 300s are the weaker pick ups
[/quote]
I've always fancied a SR600. How do they compare? The narrow neck could be a problem for me though. But that could be a good way for me to get a 6 string - if they do/did one