Why become a member? ×

Buying a new bass need help

wishface

Against my better judgment I will chime in. The Yamaha TRBX 304 is a really good bass. Typical Yam build quality, nice slim neck, good range of tones with the selector switch, two pickups. Progben`s s/h one above is really good value.

The way I define a good bass is:
1 Would I gig it?
2 Do I like the tone and how the bass feels.

I have owned one of these in the past and to me, it was a good bass.

To avoid any doubt: they are great basses at the full price, even better at second hand prices.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1469637752' post='3099963']
As i said before he is seeking peer confirmation. I don't think you should actually buy anything until you can make a decision for yourself.
[/quote]I thought I'd used clear enough English to make my point; I guess not.

Again: I'm seeking views on this instrument.

Would you like me to clarify that again?

[quote name='progben' timestamp='1469638113' post='3099966']
My Yamaha TRBX is for sale here for £150. PM me if you're interested mate - I can vouch for them being great, reliable basses (I've had no back up for 12 months). Plus the thumbrest is neat too
[/quote]

yes, much more comfortable than the ibanez pickups. Being able to rest your finger like that on the pickup is very helpful.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469640540' post='3099990']
I thought I'd used clear enough English to make my point; I guess not.

Again: I'm seeking views on this instrument.

Would you like me to clarify that again?
[/quote]
Lets turn this around:

I'm looking for a bass. I'm seriously thinking of a Wishbass (If you don't know them Google it)
It's fretless, solidly built, Kent Armstong pup; I like that. Easy to work on, passive, no stoopid tone control that I won't use anyway. No truss rod to complicate set ups. No setting up to do really! All good!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Np8_Etibv9Q

What do you think of it?

You don't like it?
Why not? Does this mean I can't have one? Does this mean nobody can have one?

So, what does it matter if we don't share your idea of the perfect bass? We won't be playing it YOU will.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1469641269' post='3100000']
Lets turn this around:

I'm looking for a bass. I'm seriously thinking of a Wishbass (If you don't know them Google it)
It's fretless, solidly built, Kent Armstong pup; I like that. Easy to work on, passive, no stoopid tone control that I won't use anyway. No truss rod to complicate set ups. No setting up to do really! All good!

[url="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Np8_Etibv9Q"]https://m.youtube.co...h?v=Np8_Etibv9Q[/url]

What do you think of it?

You don't like it?

So, what does it matter if we don't share your idea of the perfect bass? We won't be playing it YOU will.
[/quote]If you think that's what's happening then I don't know what to tell you.

So for a third time, and i'm getting frsutrated having to make this point three times: I was asking what people thought of that bass.

You have yet to explain why that's a problem.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469641195' post='3099998']
Just to be clear, the TRBX 30 is the 304. The label in the shop said 30, not 304.
[/quote]

The 304 is the 4 string, the 305 is the 5 string. 30 seconds on Google.

They're a good bass for their price range. £290 new, £150 secondhand on here.

Go for it.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1469641269' post='3100000']
Lets turn this around:

[url="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Np8_Etibv9Q"]https://m.youtube.co...h?v=Np8_Etibv9Q[/url]

What do you think of it?

You don't like it?

[/quote] cool bass if you do make one i would love to take a look as i might have a go myself :)

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1469644529' post='3100034']
And now if you don't buy it, based on the fact you liked it AND can get it cheap and be able to sell for the same price if you don't like it - you have been wasting both ours and your own time here.
[/quote]

Does this translate as f.f.s. buy the f***ing bass as your driving everyone nuts ?

I think this post worths nothing considering all the above, but there is a used MIJ Ibanez Prestige SR3000 in the sales section for 450GBP. That is a goddamn steal and if I was on the market for a 4 string Ibby Soundgear, would not look further (I have the six string version of if for ages)

edit: I have no affiliation whatsoever with the seller

Edited by Paulhauser

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469643336' post='3100019']
If you think that's what's happening then I don't know what to tell you.

So for a third time, and i'm getting frsutrated having to make this point three times: I was asking what people thought of that bass.

[/quote]

OK, if it makes it easy, I love the Yamahaha TRBX304.
We all love it.
You love it.
It's a bargain.

Actually, there's a good thread on here somewhere where loads of folk here listed all the things they don't like in a bass. I'm sure the Yamahaha TRBX 304 was never mentioned in the WHOLE thread. Everyone really loves that bass. Which is interesting because in that thread you can be sure that almost every feature you can think of on any bass was listed by someone as a dislike except the Yamahaha TRBX304.

Look if you don't buy it I will.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469643336' post='3100019']
If you think that's what's happening then I don't know what to tell you.

[/quote]

What age are you? Just as a matter of interest. :)

Frank.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1469644529' post='3100034']
And now if you don't buy it, based on the fact you liked it AND can get it cheap and be able to sell for the same price if you don't like it - you have been wasting both ours and your own time here.
[/quote]You can't possible guarantee what a bass would sell for second hand so you need to stop with that. You also need to stop with accusations of time wasting. This is getting nasty and I will not tolerate this. Nor will I tolerate questions about my age. If people can't be civil....well, there's the door.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469659341' post='3100198']
You can't possible guarantee what a bass would sell for second hand so you need to stop with that. You also need to stop with accusations of time wasting. This is getting nasty and I will not tolerate this. Nor will I tolerate questions about my age. If people can't be civil....well, there's the door.
[/quote]

It [i]was[/i] a civil question! What age are you?

I won't tolerate people not tolerating my civil questions. ;)

Frank.

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1469645884' post='3100056']
I think this post worths nothing considering all the above, but there is a used MIJ Ibanez Prestige SR3000 in the sales section for 450GBP. That is a goddamn steal and if I was on the market for a 4 string Ibby Soundgear, would not look further (I have the six string version of if for ages)

edit: I have no affiliation whatsoever with the seller
[/quote]That's great. But I've decided not to buy an instrument sight unseen. If it's something I've tried, like the Yamaha, then I'm happy to take a look. I can't otherwise justify purchasing something I may not like. The sr370 looked promising, but i didn't get on with it. Had i brought a cheap one from here, for instance, I would have been disappointed. That is what I want to avoid.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1469652115' post='3100133']
OK, if it makes it easy, I love the Yamahaha TRBX304.
We all love it.
You love it.
It's a bargain.

Actually, there's a good thread on here somewhere where loads of folk here listed all the things they don't like in a bass. I'm sure the Yamahaha TRBX 304 was never mentioned in the WHOLE thread. Everyone really loves that bass. Which is interesting because in that thread you can be sure that almost every feature you can think of on any bass was listed by someone as a dislike except the Yamahaha TRBX304.

Look if you don't buy it I will.
[/quote]That's up to the person offering the bass for £150. I've sent him a PM and that's all that needs to be said. What arrangements are made will be privately conducted. I asked a simple question and i am finding all this melodrama and attitude quite unpleasant at this point. I thought people were being helpful before but that seems to have changed.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469659761' post='3100202']
That's great. But I've decided not to buy an instrument sight unseen... ...The sr370 looked promising, but i didn't get on with it...
[/quote]

Which is key to a lot of your issues and a reason for the frustration many are expressing. There is no single, objective "good bass". It is so based on many factors, not least very personal preferences.

As a general rule, any bass produced these days that costs, say, around £200 or more is very likely a "good" bass in some terms. It will do the job adequately. Might other basses at that price have better spec? Maybe. Might more expensive basses be "better" basses? Probably. BUT How much any player likes it is purely down to their personal preference. As an example, a £Grand+ Stingray or Warwick is patently a quality instrument. Many love them. Personally I can't get on with them. Are they "good" basses? Well, yes. Are they good for me? No. Absolutely not. Can't stand them. The same applies at any price point. There is no single definition of "good".

And every product is built to its price point so don't so easily dismiss "...good for the price..." comments. What most mean is this...

"Bass X costs £300 and is similar in quality and performance terms to many other £300 basses. Bass Y costs £300 but in terms of quality of components, wood, build and performance holds its own against basses costing between £450 and £600. Most basses that cost £300 could never survive in such a comparison, therefore Bass Y is a good bass, especially for the money!"

That is valuable info in your position.

Only you can judge what a good bass for you is. If you're not willing to take a risk on sight unseen. Then you just need to keep searching for one you like when you try it.

PS on why try expensive basses, it helps you judge how performance does or does not vary with price. Double the cost very rarely (no, make that never) means a bass is "twice" as "good" so the compromise of a mid price bass (e.g. A good Squier vs a lower range Fender) may not be as big a compromise as you may think. It might be pretty much as good for £200 less. Now, if you buy the Squier you have the quiet confidence that you didn't really lose out bu not getting the Fender. Conversely you might say, "No, that's a significant step up. It's worth waiting and saving up for it...". It is educative (knowledge is power and all that) and how we all picked up our personal knowledge and bass prejudices.

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469659341' post='3100198']
You can't possible guarantee what a bass would sell for second hand so you need to stop with that. You also need to stop with accusations of time wasting. This is getting nasty and I will not tolerate this. Nor will I tolerate questions about my age. If people can't be civil....well, there's the door.
[/quote]

Wow you're very sensitive aren't you. Where exactly did I query your age ?

I can't guarantee anything of course but you asked for opinions. I've been playing 15 years and gone through over 30 basses.

I was also a site admin here for 6 years and moderated the For Sale forum, so know very well what will sell again and how much it's worth.

P.s. isn't it past your bed time ?!

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1469660375' post='3100208']
That's up to the person offering the bass for £150. I've sent him a PM and that's all that needs to be said. What arrangements are made will be privately conducted. I asked a simple question and i am finding all this melodrama and attitude quite unpleasant at this point. I thought people were being helpful before but that seems to have changed.
[/quote]

Ok. Honest opinion: I've only ever found 1 Yamaha I liked. If it were me, I wouldn't buy it. Yamaha sound too tinny to me. It reminds me of the tone of Japanese and Chinese music.

There, I hope that's helpful to you.

Now after all your rudeness I'm out of here. I can happily live without teenage trolls.

Edited by Grangur

It is amazing how the page count racks up on some threads, this one being a classic example.

I'm not moderating as such, so this isn't an instruction but more of a suggestion: The OP has plenty of good info here to refer back to if he chooses to do so. For all you patient souls who have tried and are very obviously becoming frustrated, perhaps it's time to give it up.