Why become a member? ×

Relic-ing - really?

Bass Culture

I was visiting my family down in Colchester the other month and happened to pop into a music shop with my 18 year-old niece. This particular shop had a very impressive stock list, and several interesting and high end basses. I pulled one such a bass off the wall to have a pluck - a Suhr Jazz - and, horrified, turned to my niece to point out the huge crack in the varnish that, I presumed, must have resulted from some heavy-handed numpty dropping it before. Mortified, I turned to the Shop Assistant to tell him what I'd noticed. Response - it's supposed to be like that, that's the 'antiqued' version of the bass. I was gobsmacked - seriously, would anyone pay nearly £2.5k for a bass that's deliberately had its finish cracked?! You couldn't even say it was 'road worn', it just had a cracked finish FFS!!!

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1467203708' post='3081880']
I was visiting my family down in Colchester the other month and happened to pop into a music shop with my 18 year-old niece. This particular shop had a very impressive stock list, and several interesting and high end basses. I pulled one such a bass off the wall to have a pluck - a Suhr Jazz - and, horrified, turned to my niece to point out the huge crack in the varnish that, I presumed, must have resulted from some heavy-handed numpty dropping it before. Mortified, I turned to the Shop Assistant to tell him what I'd noticed. Response - it's supposed to be like that, that's the 'antiqued' version of the bass. I was gobsmacked - seriously, would anyone pay nearly £2.5k for a bass that's deliberately had its finish cracked?! You couldn't even say it was 'road worn', it just had a cracked finish FFS!!!
[/quote]

Relicing has been done to death (pun half-intended). Just sayin'.

If the finish was the only "antiqued" / "reliced" / "aged" / "knocked to sh*te and smeared with nasty chemicals" or "roadworn" element of the bass then it might be one that had an issue with the finish. Doesn't matter who is painting - occasionally the paint will act weird (e.g. react with something in the primer / undercoat, or the air, or with something in itself, e.g. a contaminated thinner etc.). Usually it doesn't work straight away (will spray oddly or will cure oddly (or not at all)). Sometimes it fails down the road - usually due to misuse (e.g. left in the sun or in a hot car boot) but occasionally due to a fault in the paint or the painting. I'd say this is a long shot given the reputation of Suhr.

Probably intentional - especially if everything was manky and tarnished on the bass.
I don't get it. I do get liking worn instruments (e.g. stings battered '52 P bass). But it should be real - earned. If you like the look have it finished/refinished in nitro and play the crap out of it!

Oooooooh, here's a thought. Could I buy any cheap old beat up bass for a song and then put it up for sale adding £200 onto the asking price by claiming that it's been authentically "relic-ed"?

It's worth shot... Mwah ha ha ha ha!!!! :yarr: :secret: :facepalm:

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1467205581' post='3081898']
This should be entitled "People still discussing relic'd/Road worn instruments - really?"
[/quote]

I think that misses the point here. A single crack in the varnish isn't "reliced" as most people understand it. To me, this just seems like shop damage being passed off as reliced.

I could be wrong though. I was wrong about something else about 30 years ago so it's not impossible. <_< :)

Frank.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1467207511' post='3081924']
Yeah, this subject again - some of the comments get pretty abrasive
[/quote]

On second thoughts, I might not start that thread about the time I played my relic-ed basses (one rosewood, one maple for variety of sound), with a pick, in front of a music stand, for free...

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1467209191' post='3081943']
I think that misses the point here. A single crack in the varnish isn't "reliced" as most people understand it. To me, this just seems like shop damage being passed off as reliced.

I could be wrong though. I was wrong about something else about 30 years ago so it's not impossible. <_< :)

Frank.
[/quote]

twas what i thunk, and add to that the suhr website makes no mention of doing relic finishes (but then i'm often wrong)

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1467209191' post='3081943']
A single crack in the varnish isn't "reliced" as most people understand it. To me, this just seems like shop damage being passed off as reliced.
[/quote]

Yes I must admit this was my initial thought too...

Yep, I don't get it... I like my kit to look nice and altho you'll get a few dings along the way, I'm not inviting them and not doing it on purpose.

I've heard some sales spin... 'broken bent Rik neck...it is supposed to be like that...authentic init'.. :lol:

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1467205581' post='3081898']
This should be entitled "People still discussing relic'd/Road worn instruments - really?"
[/quote]
[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1467205993' post='3081908']
Some people like relics, some don't, it makes life interesting when we don't all like the same things.............next subject.
[/quote]
All members must only discuss what we decide you can discuss!

Edited by Lord Sausage

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1467213217' post='3081990']
Are there any bands playing charity gigs in Milwaukee using relic guitars?
[/quote]

I'm not sure but I do know there aren't any hauling lights and PA to play a four hour bar gig for nothing... :mellow:

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1467219595' post='3082060']
I like subtle relic effect if done well and if it's in realistic places. Mark at limelight sent me a picture of my newly built 76 p bass a couple of days ago. Can't wait to get my paws on it.
[/quote]

That is nice mrtcat - you may be the owner of my dream p-bass... I've always been on the fence about relic'd stuff, but that is both subtle and effective, and in my preferred colours, and a Limelight... I could go on :) Just what I needed - more GAS.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1467204771' post='3081890']
I do get liking worn instruments (e.g. stings battered '52 P bass). But it should be real - earned.
[/quote]

So presumably I can't play a 1952 P Bass because I wouldn't have put sixty years' worth of 'real' wear on it myself? Shame.

Edited by discreet