Why become a member? ×

My scammed '76 Jazz Bass

Boanerges

I bought an expensive bass from a german gumtree type site. No feedback/rep system.
After several emails back and forth we agreed a deal. The seller insisted on sending the bass, and waiting for me to check it over and was happy with it before sending payment to him. The end.

Incredible in this day and age.

I hope the OP gets this resolved.

The 'buyer' is active, as a musician in his local area and on Facebook. He's not hiding, so if this is a genuine case of fraud the Police aren't going to struggle to find him and sort it out. Unless they choose not to do so for other reasons?

This is very sad, i feel your pain. I too am the trusting type and give most people the courteous expectation that they may be good for their word, by my own standard. It is however, in this day and age, with hindsight perhaps, foolish.

Thats not to call the op a fool, but as i say, with hindsight, you can kinda see it for the scame it was from the outset.
I feel his pain for a lesson learnt the hard way.

I sincerley hope this bass finds its way back home and the horrible little git gets the serving of bad karhma he so dearly Deserves.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1464995024' post='3064606']
This is theft pure and simple. Call the cops.
[/quote]

I believe it's obtaining goods via deception. He was given it willingly on a premise of payment afterwards.

This thread makes no sense.

1. This guy posts expensive thing to random person without getting paid, believing some nonsense about a card reader. (?)
2. Other guy can't be bothered to pay him, but he is right there on Facebook and at the address where the bass got posted to. (??)
3. so instead of just chasing it up, guy makes a Facebook page and posts on forums about it. In the 'introductions' section. (???)

No idea what to make of any of that.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1465023367' post='3064663']

1. This guy posts expensive thing to random person without getting paid, believing some nonsense about a card reader. (?)
2. Other guy can't be bothered to pay him, but he is right there on Facebook and at the address where the bass got posted to. (??)
3. so instead of just chasing it up, guy makes a Facebook page and posts on forums about it. In the 'introductions' section. (???)

[/quote]

There's nowt stranger than folk

It's all a bit strange this one. I feel for anyone having a bass stolen, I know I would be gutted if one of mine was stolen.

Is it not possible to confront the culprit if his digital whereabouts can be traced? I'd be happy to speak on behalf of a basschatter if something went wrong in my local area (Risk perhaps?...don't worry being a social worker I have good police/legal back up when it comes to risk ;) )

Anyhow I hope this gets resolved for all parties involved :)

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1465023367' post='3064663']

[/quote]

You make these assumptions/conclusions standing in your shoes. Not everyone is as switched on and aware of the cr4p that people will pull, not everyone is confrontational, not everyone uses digital media or knows the way to use a forum as soon as they sign in! I work with people who need support to deal with 'life' and from them through to you there is a whole spectrum of needs and abilities.

If being too trusting is the worst thing the OP can be accused of then that's not a bad thing. What's the worst thing we can say of the tw4t who scammed the bass?

Stand back and imagine it ISN'T you (as most of us are doing) and think of other persons that could have been screwed; your father/mother, nephew/niece etc. can you think of a family member who is just a little too easy to have over?

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1465028951' post='3064722']
You make these assumptions/conclusions standing in your shoes. Not everyone is as switched on and aware of the cr4p that people will pull, not everyone is confrontational, not everyone uses digital media or knows the way to use a forum as soon as they sign in! I work with people who need support to deal with 'life' and from them through to you there is a whole spectrum of needs and abilities.

If being too trusting is the worst thing the OP can be accused of then that's not a bad thing. What's the worst thing we can say of the tw4t who scammed the bass?

Stand back and imagine it ISN'T you (as most of us are doing) and think of other persons that could have been screwed; your father/mother, nephew/niece etc. can you think of a family member who is just a little too easy to have over?
[/quote]

The OP quite clearly said he's an antique dealer. I'm sure he can spot a rogue when one comes along.

[quote name='sammybee' timestamp='1465029345' post='3064725']
The OP quite clearly said he's an antique dealer. I'm sure he can spot a rogue when one comes along.
[/quote]

Of course all antique dealers are the same! However, without wishing to stereotype, I'm guessing that might explain the lack of internet savvy. ;)

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1465029673' post='3064727']

Of course all antique dealers are the same! However, without wishing to stereotype, I'm guessing that might explain the lack of internet savvy. ;)
[/quote]

Yeah most likely something like that. Didn't mean to sound quite so judgemental earlier..

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1465122732' post='3065405']
This is not a mistake by the 'buyer'. He has tried to sell this instrument through my friends shop - and the other two music shops in the city aswell.

My friend has spoken directly to the instruments owner.

Mr Barlow has form.
[/quote]

I'm still struggling to see why, with all the evidence available, this isn't being dealt with by the Police, rather than being bounced around on Facebook and on here. Am I missing something?

I, too, am absolutely amazed that this has not been dealt with via the police.

You know the guys name, you know the area in which he lives, the three local shops know him.

What's the problem?

The choice is simple:

Call the police or send the boys round to sort it.

Job done!

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1465124568' post='3065421']

You know the guys name, you know the area in which he lives, the three local shops know him.

What's the problem?

The choice is simple:

Call the police or send the boys round to sort it.

Job done!
[/quote]

I guess you've not been in a similar situation. I have - involving my car which was removed from my parking bay without my permission - and the police were no help at all. As for sending the boys round, it's potentially satisfying but fraught with risks and likely to get you in more bother than the thief. I again speak from experience, having had tenants in my flat who stopped paying rent and then overstayed their contracted tenancy. In that case I wasn't even legally allowed to enter my own flat!

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1465124568' post='3065421']

What's the problem?

The choice is simple:

[/quote]

The same thing does strike me. The rap sheet piling up seems now to include theft, attempting to sell stolen goods and, for whoever's address he used for the delivery, handling stolen goods. Now with witnesses in local shops attached... I'd be amazed if the local rozzers didn't take some notice. Sounds like a nice slam dunk crime stat filler...

A quick look on Facebook says...

[color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]"He has been arrested and charged... He scammed me 18 months ago for £500"[/size][/font][/color]

[size=4][color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]That post was from 13th April. [/font][/color][/size]

[color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This is the original post...[/font][/color]

[color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Many of you probably know Joshua Barlow [/font][/color][color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"[/font][/color][color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Joshwa Barlow[/font][/color][color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]" on facebok . You may think he is a decent guy but he is also in the business of scamming people over the internet selling iphone's, macook's and imac computers on facebook sites and insisiting on bank transfer and not ever posting anything out to anyone he has done this to me and i have been in contact with other people he has ripped off also! The best anyone ever got from his was a box filled with stones to the correct [/font][/color][color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]weight of an imac! He currently has a Warrant out for his arrest for stealing his step dads phone and selling it to cash converters. It has now been nearly 3 months since he stole from me and he never thought i would track down where he lives, pubs he plays in, his family (who have been nice to me and told me he always does this sort of thing) if anyone can make him pay me back i would be grateful but this is also a warning to watch him as he isnt what he seems![/font][/color]

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1465128204' post='3065452']
I guess you've not been in a similar situation. I have - involving my car which was removed from my parking bay without my permission - and the police were no help at all. As for sending the boys round, it's potentially satisfying but fraught with risks and likely to get you in more bother than the thief. I again speak from experience, having had tenants in my flat who stopped paying rent and then overstayed their contracted tenancy. In that case I wasn't even legally allowed to enter my own flat!
[/quote]

You guess wrong.
I have been in that situation.
Found the oik responsible after reporting it to the police and them doing nowt.
Rang the police to tell them I would be round at the oiks place at 06:00hrs the next morning with a few mates.
Guess who was being led away to a police car when we arrived at 05:47hrs?

This is a very strange thread.

Why would you post a bass of that value without asking for some sort of proof that the seller is legit first?

Also: In light of the situation, I'm not sure what there is that can be done aside from police/Facebook pages. If he's a serial offender, why hasn't he been caught by now?

Also: In the future, I'd by a UV pen and write some details somewhere on the Bass. The Police will be able to uncover it and contact you.

I know it's not much help now, but it could be useful in the future.

I hope you get your bass back.