Why become a member? ×

Justification

TheGreek

It was while posting my thread about Nick Smith's new shop that it occurred to me that, as a man who owns over 80 basses, he could probably [u]sell[/u] "excuses/reasons/justifications" for having so much equipment.

In my justifications I often tell people that "at least[i] [b]I'll[/b][/i] look after it, unlike some other people" when buying "[i]unnecessary[/i]" gear. Another is that I don't have[i] [s]drains on my resources[/s][/i] children so I might as well spend my money on myself.

How do you justify having more equipment than you actually need?

Edited by TheGreek

Oh I have spurious justifications for all my gear...

[b]Fretted Wal 6[/b] - For my originals bands as after much searching it's my preferred tone
Incoming[b] Fretless Wal 6[/b] - As above

[b]Moollon P [/b]with flats - For bands where only a fender shape is acceptable
[b]Fretless Jazz[/b] - As above

Soon to be modded with EMGs [b]MIJ Jazz[/b] - For a hypermodern sound for slappy tappy nonsense that I'm not usually allowed to do but is being actively encouraged in my current project... :o

[b]One amp, One cab[/b] (although soon to be two smaller cabs for better flexibility)

...and of course there is a load of other stuff I want that I can't even begin to justify.

Like nice a vintage Fender, a vintage Shergold, a pro series Wal, a shell pink custom shop jazz, a wacky colored Ritter, a Pedulla MV4.... and if I had someone to carry it for me a Glockenklang BAC and Glockenklang 6x10.

Edited by CamdenRob

Everything i own i have brought out of disposable income. Never out of the rent money. I know that isn't a justification, but it is important.
After clearing that up, my justification is that it makes me happy.

Edit: i am a bedroom worrior at the moment, so basically all of my gear is "more than i need". If i was in a gigging and/or recording band I would count more of my gear as "needed", but really, i wouldn't feel like i will ever need more of a justification of any gear other than the one above.

Edited by elephantgrey

Dare I say that buying a double bass is a greater commitment, emotionally and financially, than a BG? OK OK, but you get my drift perhaps. I well remember the time I got each of my basses, the excitement, the anticipation and sometimes the disappointment. And the 'journey' with each; the gigs, the highs, the lows.

And I remember the frisson of anticipation as I went to collect my Upton at Birmingham Airport after it flew over from US, admiring it, feeling it and playing the first notes. And then getting used to playing it and the gigs. And now it's for sale. I really have too many and there's no unique need for it. It'll be sad when it goes but it's better for someone else to enjoy it rather than be stored in the house not doing much.

I drive round in a car I paid £800 for 3 years ago, and have spent nothing on it since, apart from the usual stuff..mot's tyres etc. A friend of mine bought a brand new Nissan Joop at about the same time. His car is now worth about £6000 to £7000 less than when he drove it off the forecourt, which is about the total value of my basses and rig. My Basses provide me with an income, a social life, musical fulfilment and so many other things that make me glad I play bass. Most days he sits in his car for about an hour, driving to and from work, goes shopping in it at the weekend, and the rest of the time it sits outside his house becoming less valuable day by day. That's not justication, its fact.

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1462888592' post='3046658']
Simple!

Q1 - Are my Wife & kids going to be disadvantaged in any way by the cost?

If Q1 = no... go for it, life is short!
[/quote]

Ditto! :)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1462904186' post='3046870']
I own 9 basses. My justification, I gig all of them in rotation.

They don't sit around gathering dust.

Blue
[/quote]

Can't argue with that, Blue. If they don't get played, they might as well be sold to someone who WILL play them.

Edited by Skol303

I have a precision for when I need a P, a jazz for when I need a J (both of which were relatively inexpensive instruments to buy) and my old Warwick has sentimental value relating to my dear departed mum (and is always there under the bed should I ever need something active). My gigging basses are kept tuned down half a step so my Harley Benton is in standard tuning for learning songs and besides cost peanuts anyway. My amp is useful for being heard at gigs as my basses are a touch quiet without it and I'm currently in the process of selling off most of the pedals I don't use at gigs.
Most importantly I recently calculated that over the 20 years I've been gigging, my band has earned me somewhere between eighty and one hundred thousand pounds (gross and before expenses) which, given the time it was earned over, is hardly a fortune but I think justifies any expenditure on gear I choose to make.

I'm a collector of the odd and unusual provided it's cheap.
I have 20 basses of various types including a Russian Ural, a VOX Bassmaster, a Sonorus tapper (not so cheap), 7 Ashborys and other stuff.
They all get played even if they don't all get gigged.

The exception to the rule is my new ACG which should arrive tomorrow.
That wasn't cheap.. no sir, but compared to other custom builds I think it's value for money.

My kids have grown up.
The mortgage is paid.
It's all gravy.

Edited by NickRiffed

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1462902041' post='3046849']
I drive round in a car I paid £800 for 3 years ago, and have spent nothing on it since, apart from the usual stuff..mot's tyres etc. A friend of mine bought a brand new Nissan Joop at about the same time. His car is now worth about £6000 to £7000 less than when he drove it off the forecourt, which is about the total value of my basses and rig. My Basses provide me with an income, a social life, musical fulfilment and so many other things that make me glad I play bass. Most days he sits in his car for about an hour, driving to and from work, goes shopping in it at the weekend, and the rest of the time it sits outside his house becoming less valuable day by day. That's not justication, its fact.
[/quote]

I don't see the need for the comparison, some people believe it or not enjoy their cars and have a social life based around them, that same person that can't play bass probably doesn't want a room full of devaluing bass gear. As long as you are both happy and you didn't pay for each others purchases I don't see why it matters tbh.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1463041395' post='3047955']
"I want it".
[/quote]

This is pretty much where I'm at, lucky to have a wife who doesn't expect me to justify purchases either. She does get practical asking daft questions like "where are you going to keep it?"

Currently debating spending some of this year's bonus: Spector NS2, Status 'Chris Wolstenholme' or some form of P-bass. Or maybe order a 4-String Dingwall Z3 to go with my Z3 5-String...

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1463170743' post='3049317']

a wife who doesn't expect me to justify purchases either. She does get practical asking daft questions like "where are you going to keep it?"

[/quote]

I'm guessing you don't know much about women then. :D