Why become a member? ×

Justification

TheGreek

My day job pays the bills and feeds us. Mrs Axe has a part-time job for her fun money, I have gigs for my fun money. The practical limit on the amount of kit I have is storage space - within that I buy what I like and can afford.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1462887844' post='3046648']
How do you justify having more equipment than you actually need?
[/quote]
I don't. I only buy gear I can gig. Everything I own works for a living so I have no "vanity" purchases and nothing is bought on a "whim".

Unfortunately there is a pretty expensive bass in the BC classifieds right now that I'd love to own. I keep logging on to look at it!!

If I told my wife she's just say "get it", but I don't play at home and I don't have a band I can use it in. It's an absolutely pointless purchase. . . . but. . . . !

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1463229822' post='3049744']
Unfortunately there is a pretty expensive bass in the BC classifieds right now that I'd love to own. I keep logging on to look at it!!

If I told my wife she's just say "get it", but I don't play at home and I don't have a band I can use it in. It's an absolutely pointless purchase. . . . but. . . . !
[/quote]

Bwahahaha!

Sorry :blink:

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1463183562' post='3049435']
I'm guessing you don't know much about women then. :D
[/quote]

We have an understanding - I don't comment on shoes, handbags and gadgets she doesn't comment on guitars!

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1463236054' post='3049817']

We have an understanding - I don't comment on shoes, handbags and gadgets she doesn't comment on guitars!
[/quote]

Except to ask where you're going to keep it.

Next time she buys a pair of shoes, ask her where she's going to keep them. See what reaction you get. ;)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1463304642' post='3050251']
Except to ask where you're going to keep it.

Next time she buys a pair of shoes, ask her where she's going to keep them. See what reaction you get. ;)
[/quote]

Her answer last time was to retire some to the loft, eminently sensible. A system that will work well with basses when I run out of wall space in the study!

O.K. I bought a rather nice Stagg 3/4 electric upright - the n ice one with the decent fingerboard.
Very happy, apart from it is too big to hide and I have not gotten round to selling my upright yet...
Herself will be home thursday night. PANIC!!!!

Feel free to use any of the above "[i]justifications[/i]" but I think there are a few there that just won't cut it.

You could always use the classic "[i]I'm just borrowing it to see if I want to buy it[/i]" excuse....

With the huge versatility I have in my instruments now, I struggle to justify things to myself other than on aesthetics. e.g. I want a maple boarded P bass and a fiesta red Jazz - but it will not expand on any sound palette I have available to me.

I bought a Musicman SUB5 on a whim for a decent price a couple of months ago, got it home and realised it didn't do anymore than my Cort GB75 soundwise, so took it back the next day (refunded no problem).

Financially my wife and I are comfortable with a bit of cash each month to squander, I could probably afford to drop £1-2k on a bass on 0% finance for 12 months with no massive detriment to our monthly finances, but i'd rather we spent the cash on dining out and family time.