Why become a member? ×

Why is it...

Marvin

...that in the few hours before a gig your mind goes blank and you can't remember a single song from the set list? However, you have, going around your head, some hell awful cheesy tune you happened to hear on a supermarket radio?

I can never remember any songs we do.
Other person: What sort of music do you play?
Me: Er, I can't really remember.
Cue me looking like a dick.

I was once, bizarrely, singing a random song in my head that an audience comment made me think of. While singing along in my head I was thinking why's no one started the next song? Yep, I was supposed to start the next song.
Note to self, must pay more attention to our bands music.

There's a Thin Lizzy song that starts with bass, can't remember the name now, that I'd played for a a year or more in a band in the 80s, until one gig where the opening bass riff simply vanished from my head. The guitarist had to start, but by the time it came round at the start of the next verse, or wherever it repeated, I played it perfectly without thinking. No idea how that works!

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1460131813' post='3022963']
Whenever anyone says, "What songs do you play?", my mind goes blank and all I can think of is 20th Century Boy, or something equally inane.
[/quote]

Thank God it's not just me! And I'm the one who scouts for gigs. I have to prepare my answers in advance!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1460132019' post='3022969']
...still struggle to name any songs we play when asked, but can play them all straight through as soon as we start.
[/quote]

Do you always play your sets in the same order? I prefer to find an order that works and stick to it, but our singer insists on mixing it up for every gig. He will also announce songs that aren't on the list - and unbelievably he will even announce songs that I don't bloody know... :blink:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1460132019' post='3022969']
I've been in the same band, playing pretty much the same set for 3 years now, and still struggle to name any songs we play when asked, but can play them all straight through as soon as we start.
[/quote]
Kindred spirit. Set list has 60 + tunes and i could probably name 10 of them.

Whilst travelling to our last gig I was running through Fire by Kasabian and I couldn't remember the backing vocals despite doing this song on and off ffor s few years. I had to listen to it on my phone in the car and barely heard what they are.

When I gigged many moons ago I could never remember the names of the songs..always had to quickly get a handle on the first instr chord or vocal bar to know what I was doing....hated it when I had to start a tune first...ha

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1460132285' post='3022977']
There's a Thin Lizzy song that starts with bass, can't remember the name now, that I'd played for a a year or more in a band in the 80s, until one gig where the opening bass riff simply vanished from my head. The guitarist had to start, but by the time it came round at the start of the next verse, or wherever it repeated, I played it perfectly without thinking. No idea how that works!
[/quote]

Dancing in the moonlight?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1460136235' post='3023026']
Do you always play your sets in the same order? I prefer to find an order that works and stick to it, but our singer insists on mixing it up for every gig. He will also announce songs that aren't on the list - and unbelievably he will even announce songs that I don't bloody know... :blink:
[/quote]

Yep, same here. The set lists tend to be a list of what we might play, but not in particular order. We also tend to add songs which in some cases none of us know.

This makes me feel much better...when you are mid set, about to start the next song and your mind goes blank ("what do we start on?)...or worse, mid song, completely in the groove without thinking and then you regain consciousness and it all goes to the proverbial.

[quote name='howdenspur' timestamp='1460193333' post='3023377']
This makes me feel much better...when you are mid set, about to start the next song and your mind goes blank ("what do we start on?)...or worse, mid song, completely in the groove without thinking and then you regain consciousness and it all goes to the proverbial.
[/quote]

It's those moments just before a song starts when you can't even fathom which key it's supposed to be in that get me.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1460132285' post='3022977']
[/quote]

Been playing bass since 1982. Funny thing is, when I sit down in an shop to try out a new bass Dancing in the Moonlight is pretty much the only bass line in can ever remember (other than The Chain, Money and Owner of a Lonely Heart - an I'm not starting up any of those three in a music shop!)

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1460206340' post='3023618']
Setlist with the first chord or note by each song can be a life-saver.
[/quote]

Exactly what I do. A list, with the first note of each number before the title. Bandmates are baffled by this as they think I've wrongly written the key of the song. it works though - if we all start on the right note there's a fair chance the other notes will follow. ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1460206340' post='3023618']
Setlist with the first chord or note by each song can be a life-saver.
[/quote]

Absolutely! We have one newish original song that I can play perfectly but really struggle to remember how to start. The drummer starts it with a classic 1-2-3-4 on the sticks so we all have to come in together. That's easy enough as I know the first note but I struggle to get the rest of the bassline into my head until the first couple of bars and then I'm away with no problems at all. What's that all about?! Incompetence probably :)