Why become a member? ×

Musically Unfulfilled

Truckstop

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1459706631' post='3018798']
I probably have a very restricted outlook on life, as I cannot begin to understand why anyone wants to play an instrument and not perform in front of people.
[/quote]

Composers, arrangers, producers, and probably several others, might well play a musical instrument and not want to perform in front of people. This will not be the case for all of those but there really is no reason why it shouldn't be so sometimes.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459707152' post='3018815']
I will, I will... I just need a little rest... ;)
[/quote]

But will anyone listen? Or, even if they do, will they care?

What is this band of which you speak, anyway? Details, pics, vids etc.

Edited by Paul S

I left the rock covers band I was in at Christmas last year - got completely bored of playing the same songs every night to people that were probably as bored of hearing them as I was playing them. Then, four days later, an old friend messaged me and asked if I would be interested in starting a synth based covers band with him - think New Order, OMD, Depeche etc. I live that stuff as much as I love 90's rock, so I said yes. First rehearsal the other night went really well, so very excited about this little project. Meanwhile, the guitarist I recruited for the synth band also has a little sideline jazz band, and they need a bassist, so tonight he asked me if I would be interested in doing that as well. Having never played jazz, and being a man of diverse taste and up for a challenge, I said yes. And I also make my own instrumental electronica on my pc at home.
What I'm saying is there's nothing wrong with wanting to do lots of different stuff as long as you can fit it all in. Mix it up, variety is the spice of life and all that. Do what makes you happy.😊

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1459707215' post='3018816']
Composers, arrangers, producers, and probably several others, might well play a musical instrument and not want to perform in front of people. This will not be the case for all of those but there really is no reason why it shouldn't be so sometimes.
[/quote]
As I said, I have a restricted outlook, to me gigging is the raison detre of playing. :) I am currently playing in a blues band, whereas my my musical roots are in in psychedelic space rock of the 70s. But i still find it fulfilling.

[/quote]

Indeed. I don't recall George Martin being much of a performer . . . what a sad old git eh? ;)

[/quote]

True, but the players I don't understand are the ones who are not composers, arrangers, producers, etc. or music biz pros of any sort, but your common-or-garden bass players who like to play their instruments, learn how to play them, improve, get good, learn songs, get GAS, buy gear, find like-minded people, rehearse on a regular basis, get a set together, and then - that's it, no gigging? Why go to all that expense, time, trouble and effort and then not gig? Are there really bands that deliberately just rehearse and are quite happy never to gig? This isn't a put-down by the way, I'm genuinely interested! :)

Edited by discreet

I probably have a very restricted outlook on life, as I cannot begin to understand why anyone wants to play an instrument and not perform in front of people.
[/quote]

I think most do. I think for those who don't never found the right sort if gigging opportunity or have made bad band choices with bad band experiences.

Nobody is going convince me they set out to be a bedroom noodler .

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459706953' post='3018808']

I don't understand it either, but obviously it's up to the individual! What gets right on my tits is when you join a band, spend time rehearsing and realise that they never had any intention whatsoever to do any gigs - but deliberately withheld this information, just to acquire the services of a bass player. This has happened to me twice now - when I joined my current band I made it clear what I wanted to do and what would happen if there were no gigs in the offing. So of course now I'm doing more gigs than I can handle. But I can't really complain, can I?? :D
[/quote]

Most start up bands don't stay together long enough to see they're first gig. Any band you join that has no gigs probably will not get any gigs.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459714310' post='3018930']
Most start up bands don't stay together long enough to see they're fist gig. Any band you join that has no gigs probably will not get any gigs.

Blue
[/quote]

Poppycock!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459714310' post='3018930']
Most start up bands don't stay together long enough to see they're first gig. Any band you join that has no gigs probably will not get any gigs.

Blue
[/quote]

That depends massively on who is running the band. If you're talking about a bunch of weekend warriors getting together to play some of their favourite songs, you're most likely right, they'll never get out of the rehearsal room. On the other hand, I joined a 'start-up' before Christmas that is run by 2 very motivated and organised fellas - we have done 2 gigs so far (including one that they set up and promoted themselves), and the diary is steadily filling up.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459712563' post='3018900']...Are there really bands that deliberately just rehearse and are quite happy never to gig?...
[/quote]

Yes, indeed, and many more than one would think, I reckon. Almost by definition, these folks are not well known outside of their immediate circle (and sometimes not even there..! I've come across lots of people, of all ages, playing music, of many different genres, purely at home. I worked for several years in a music shop as a technician; most of our trade, for sales and repairs, were from amateurs. Many (but not all..!) were highly skilled and knowledgeable. They were, on the whole, far nicer customers than many of the 'pros'..!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459713952' post='3018926']...
Nobody is going convince me they set out to be a bedroom noodler ...
[/quote]

Blue...

I'll address this directly; it's almost beyond a joke now. How does one have to explain that disparaging comments of this sort, whilst being, apparently, your firmly held opinion (and you're welcome to it...) are not well received on this, and I doubt any other, forum..? I'll restrain myself from returning the compliment and giving vent to my full opinion concerning these 'opinions' of yours, but would heartily suggest a session of 'neck pulling-in' as starters, and a serious period of reflection before putting fingertip to keyboard in the future. I don't believe this to be a cultural, trans-Atlantic issue; rudeness is rudeness. Stay up there in your ivory tower if you wish, enjoy the heady view and unspoilt atmosphere, but please carefully consider the disagreeable nature of these, and other of your, affirmations to a great many fellow BC members. Thanks in advance.
No need to 'Report' this post; I'll do that myself. Good day to you.
Douglas

Edited by Dad3353

[/quote]

If all you are doing is learning to play an instrument for the purpose of playing an instrument, then maybe not. If what you want to do is write songs and for that reason you learn an instrument, then it makes sense. Going on stage could be something you have to do.

Kate bush said she never wanted to perform on stage, and she didn't for most of her career. Mike Oldfield didn't want to do it, he wanted to stay in the studio. Lots of artists don't want to go on stage due to stage fright. Eddie van halen had to drink loads to get on stage (which didn't do much good), Ozzie says he hates it.

People are different, and because you like something doesn't mean it is the same for all people.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459713952' post='3018926']
Nobody is going convince me they set out to be a bedroom noodler .
[/quote]

And you are honestly going to try and convince us that anyones dream was to get to play blues covers in a bar every night?

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1459722590' post='3019037']
Kate bush said she never wanted to perform on stage, and she didn't for most of her career. Mike Oldfield didn't want to do it, he wanted to stay in the studio. Lots of artists don't want to go on stage due to stage fright. Eddie van halen had to drink loads to get on stage (which didn't do much good), Ozzie says he hates it. People are different, and because you like something doesn't mean it is the same for all people.
[/quote]

Those are individuals, and I completely understand it. But entire bands made up of people who don't want to gig? I don't disagree with it in principle, it's just that it has never occurred to me that there may be hundreds of bands out there in rehearsal rooms all over the country who will never play in public. We could be missing something huge!!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1459714764' post='3018942']

That depends massively on who is running the band. If you're talking about a bunch of weekend warriors getting together to play some of their favourite songs, you're most likely right, they'll never get out of the rehearsal room. On the other hand, I joined a 'start-up' before Christmas that is run by 2 very motivated and organised fellas - we have done 2 gigs so far (including one that they set up and promoted themselves), and the diary is steadily filling up.
[/quote]

Your the exception, good news just the same.

Blue

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1459715201' post='3018950']

Yes, indeed, and many more than one would think, I reckon. Almost by definition, these folks are not well known outside of their immediate circle (and sometimes not even there..! I've come across lots of people, of all ages, playing music, of many different genres, purely at home. I worked for several years in a music shop as a technician; most of our trade, for sales and repairs, were from amateurs. Many (but not all..!) were highly skilled and knowledgeable. They were, on the whole, far nicer customers than many of the 'pros'..!

Blue...

I'll address this directly; it's almost beyond a joke now. How does one have to explain that disparaging comments of this sort, whilst being, apparently, your firmly held opinion (and you're welcome to it...) are not well received on this, and I doubt any other, forum..? I'll restrain myself from returning the compliment and giving vent to my full opinion concerning these 'opinions' of yours, but would heartily suggest a session of 'neck pulling-in' as starters, and a serious period of reflection before putting fingertip to keyboard in the future. I don't believe this to be a cultural, trans-Atlantic issue; rudeness is rudeness. Stay up there in your ivory tower if you wish, enjoy the heady view and unspoilt atmosphere, but please carefully consider the disagreeable nature of these, and other of your, affirmations to a great many fellow BC members. Thanks in advance.
No need to 'Report' this post; I'll do that myself. Good day to you.
Douglas
[/quote]

At the end of the day I'm a bass guitar player in a bar band. It's really not much to be proud of. But if you want to criticise me and cut it down, that's ok.

How serious do you want to take me? I'm not an expert on any of this. My post are my opinions just like everyone else here.

If you detect rudeness it's cultural in my opinion.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459722864' post='3019043']
Those are individuals, and I completely understand it. But entire bands made up of people who don't want to gig?
[/quote]

I don't see it as unreasonable. Groups of people who actually just want to play music, but don't want all the hassle that goes with dealing with the public. I am sure we have all done gigs when we would have prefered to be at home!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1459723704' post='3019055']
I don't see it as unreasonable. Groups of people who actually just want to play music, but don't want all the hassle that goes with dealing with the public. I am sure we have all done gigs when we would have preferred to be at home!
[/quote]

That is true of course, and I don't think it's unreasonable at all - I'm just surprised to find out after all this time that it goes on so extensively. It's perfectly fine, whatever floats one's boat. But I have in the past joined a band fully under the impression that they wanted to do gigs and they did not - in fact, they lied to me about their intentions and wasted my time, just to get a bass player - and THAT is [i]definitely [/i]unreasonable, to say the least.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1459723704' post='3019055']

I don't see it as unreasonable. Groups of people who actually just want to play music, but don't want all the hassle that goes with dealing with the public. I am sure we have all done gigs when we would have prefered to be at home!
[/quote]

I know some people that are terrified of performing in public. However, they still do it because they want to share the music they have created. They're flexible and heroic.

For those who might not get what I'm saying, it's a compliment.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459723468' post='3019053']
At the end of the day I'm a bass guitar player in s bar band.

How serious do you want to take me? I'm not an expert on any of this. My post are my opinions just like everyone else here.

If you detect rudeness it's cultural in my opinion.

Blue
[/quote]

I rather think that you're missing the point, or being deliberately provocative; probably the former. Yes, you're entitled to your opinion. Yes, you are entitled to express those views here. You will, however, reap the consequences of, not your opinion, but an official reaction if those opinions, expressed as is your wont, come across, even unintentionally, as disrespectful or insulting. While I remain rather open to the idea that this is not, indeed, your intention, I wonder how many folks have to say it to you before you'll take notice and either post in a more congenial manner or desist from posting altogether..? It's not so much the content (yes, I too can come across with well-used opinions on certain subjects here...). That, in itself, is not the issue; free speech and all that. Just accept that the plain, down-to-earth, flat statement of 'fact' that,in your opinion, bedroom noodlers have no worthwhile aspirations (just an example; there are too many to list, anyway...) and that outside of playing for wages there is no salvation is taken as offensive by very many folk here who are equally deserving of respect as yourself, whatever your pleasures, income, hobbies or life-style. Is it so difficult to comprehend..?
I shan't go about proving anything; just take it as said that, whatever your intentions, many of your statements are badly taken here. Please do something about that, for your own sake in this community, or put up with the consequences.

Most of the musicians I know gig, or have done in the past.

I also know a few that refuse to go within 20' of a microphone and perhaps never will - they're perfectly content doing what they do in the way that they do it.

In the same way that not every person has the ability or interest in playing a musical instrument, not every person who can play a musical instrument wants to perform - you've only got to look at the number of guitars sold each year to work out it'd be bloody noisy if they did... :lol: