Why become a member? ×

Musically Unfulfilled

Truckstop

I'm pretty happy at the moment , I dont play that well , I dont sing at all well , I don't have a great knowledge of recording and I am not a particularly good songwriter .....But I play gigs in a half decent band and publish a song most months, most importantly, I love doing it , and that is all that matters .

I like playing live.

I like rehearsing.

I don't mind not earning too much money out of it because it's something i enjoy.

Our band gigs when we want, rehearses when we want, charges for gigs or not when we want and we enjoy ourselves all the time.

:)

I've been enjoying this thread, lots of food for thought. Clearly different things motivate different people, and satisfaction is likely a bell curve centred on societies or even personal norms (like most things)...

But all the way though, I keep thinking... 'Musically Unfufilled"... What a name for a band!

I know people that took up instruments, and actually got really good at them, that never had any intention of playing live or even with other people. The bass traditionally being a supporting role, I can see how people might find it difficult to imagine someone taking up the bass with no intention of playing with other people. But the bass can be a fun solo instrument, and things like YouTube can allow people to play to other people completely on their own terms, and home recording can fulfill other creative desires.

Playing live can be a hassle. You need the right gear, a way to transport it, and there's all the time and effort that goes into that relatively short amount of time on stage. And some people might just not enjoy being on stage.

For me, unless I decided to take up bass professionally and make a living from it, if I was offered a place in two identical bands, but one was paying and the other not, I would choose the one that didn't pay. Things tend to get squirly when you throw money into the mix and I would far rather not have the extra hassle. But I am the same in other parts of my life, I am quite happy to do odd jobs for people for free, but I won't do it if they offer me money (this drives my mother-in-law mad. She always wants to offer me something for my time and effort, but eventually she cottoned on to the fact that it just wouldn't get done if she did).

My ideal band situation would be with a bunch of people I like, we would meet up at our homes to write original material and have a laugh, and would get together once a week at a rehearsal space to perfect the songs and have a laugh. And once we got it right we would record it. I wouldn't care if it went no further, but the occasional no pressure gig would be nice.
I would actually love to gig, but I would want to put on a proper show with good lighting and probably even pyrotechnics, not just a bunch of blokes in jeans and t-shirts. I'd even be prepared to wear makeup if it helped the image and stage show.

Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere, don't drive, and the music I would really love to play would be something like symphonic, blackened death metal... Not going to happen any time soon... Such a specific genre definition sounds like I am sabotaging my chances, but there is other stuff I would enjoy playing, too.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459724150' post='3019057']
But I have in the past joined a band fully under the impression that they wanted to do gigs and they did not - in fact, they lied to me about their intentions and wasted my time, just to get a bass player - and THAT is [i]definitely [/i]unreasonable, to say the least.
[/quote]

No argument there. There is a difference between a band who intended to gig and didn't for some reason*, and a band that had no intention to play live from the start, who should explain that that is what they are looking for. In fact, I don't know why they wouldn't, its not like someone who wanted to gig is going to say 'oh ok, lets not gig then'.

* which of course I have learned from Blue is everyone, as startup groups never get to gig :)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459723106' post='3019049']
Your the exception, good news just the same.

Blue
[/quote]
all but one of my start up bands have played shows, one in fact had a full set written, cd recorded and gig performed in the space of 2 months... does this make me some miracle worker?

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1459746855' post='3019101']
'Musically Unfufilled"... What a name for a band!
[/quote]

There's an outfit doing the rounds called 'Commercial Suicide'... :D

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1459725868' post='3019066']
Let's form a supergroup of people who have started a band from nothing and miraculously managed to get gigs called The Exceptions :)
[/quote]

That's actually pretty good - if it hasn't been done already. I can't be bothered to Google it. ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1459758674' post='3019161']
all but one of my start up bands have played shows, one in fact had a full set written, cd recorded and gig performed in the space of 2 months... does this make me some miracle worker?
[/quote]

Easily do-able if the band members are all sufficiently motivated. The Terrortones went from being just an idea of Mr Venom's to playing our first gig with a set of new songs written specifically for the band in 8 weeks. We had a demo of 7 songs recorded the following month, and a few weeks after that we were supporting The Meteors.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1459761599' post='3019196']
Easily do-able if the band members are all sufficiently motivated. The Terrortones went from being just an idea of Mr Venom's to playing our first gig with a set of new songs written specifically for the band in 8 weeks. We had a demo of 7 songs recorded the following month, and a few weeks after that we were supporting The Meteors.
[/quote]
indeed, and i think in a lot of cases it turns out to be the case... but some of the comments here would have us think that only a special few ever get anywhere

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1459764545' post='3019243']
indeed, and i think in a lot of cases it turns out to be the case... but some of the comments here would have us think that only a special few ever get anywhere
[/quote]

In the real world, where my band - with the best will in the world - doesn't matter/exist to that many people, it's nice to know that someone out there thinks we're special :)

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1459764545' post='3019243']

[/quote]

I'm not exactly the most motivated person in the world but the band I was in the longest was a start up originals band & we were up & gigging regularly within three months, and that was all over the UK, not just locally.

I know lots of people who are in start up originals bands who are playing live regularly. A friend of mine in Dublin has got four (at the last count) originals bands regularly gigging & recording.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459723468' post='3019053']
At the end of the day I'm a bass guitar player in a bar band. It's really not much to be proud of. But if you want to criticise me and cut it down, that's ok.

How serious do you want to take me? I'm not an expert on any of this. My post are my opinions just like everyone else here.

If you detect rudeness it's cultural in my opinion.

Blue
[/quote]

It is all cool... that is what we are here for banter on bass...

If people don't agree, no need to go around the houses making the same point over and over.

I get that you love what you do... and if you aren't proud of your band, then I wouldn't expect
anyone else to be...
What is not to like...?

1st rule..please yourself... which is what I try and do and then trust that others get it.

If they don't...be over their heads, rather than under it... :lol: :lol:

FWIW, we differ about gigs, but then I'm not having to live by your band rules so not really an issue ..all round.

I like that you love your band work.

Just my 2p...

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459713952' post='3018926']
Nobody is going convince me they set out to be a bedroom noodler .
[/quote]
Difficult to disagree with that sentence there, but as always with these things, what's the original aim?

And let's be honest, pretty much most of us, when we started out were in our teens and wanted to be rock stars... Then as time went on and we realized that rock stardom wasn't going to be ours, either due to suckage, wrong band, wrong place, wrong time, etc.. etc... You start asking yourself what you want out of music and then you end up on a path.

Some of those paths are below:

1: I love playing and gigging and want to play to more people and be paid
Cover band/ entertainment band

2: I love playing and gigging but my priorities include writing too
Keep playing originals, being aware interest will likely wane

3: I love playing, and I just want to get better, gigging I can take or leave
Bedroom player, focusing on mastering their instrument, occasionally gig or record on youtube

4: I see my instrument is a means to an end and my main focus is composing and writing
Become a composer, using various instruments. Depending on your art/profit focus ratio you could work on advertising jingles/corporate stuff for money.

5: I like playing, but my time is eaten up with kids/job/wife/other hobbies so these days I just want to play occasionally on my own time.
Play mostly in the bedroom, do the odd jam night,.

All of the above are valid paths, all with different aims coming from a different part of the heart after the dreams of your youth have been smashed and ground into the dirt like paste.

Because we all find our own way in this thing we call, "music".

Edited by keefbaker

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1459766460' post='3019271']
My knees cry at the idea of a 4 hour set.
[/quote]

Our audience cries at the idea of a 4 hour set too. Imagine putting up with our nonsense for that long!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459724150' post='3019057']
That is true of course, and I don't think it's unreasonable at all - I'm just surprised to find out after all this time that it goes on so extensively. It's perfectly fine, whatever floats one's boat. But I have in the past joined a band fully under the impression that they wanted to do gigs and they did not - in fact, they lied to me about their intentions and wasted my time, just to get a bass player - and THAT is [i]definitely [/i]unreasonable, to say the least.
[/quote]

Yep it's those sorts that wind you up. If its clear it will only be studio projects that's OK but being misled isn't acceptable. When I've been looking for another band recently it took a few texts and phone conversations with one possible lead to find out that after 9 months they had got as far as doing 2 open mics and learned 6-8 songs (but were also writing their own). They didn't feel they would be 'gig ready' for at least another 12-18 months!

Edited by KevB

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1459767423' post='3019295']
I'm knackered after a 3 hour rehearsal. Knees, back, neck and shoulders.
[/quote]

We do four-hour rehearsals and our gigs are usually two one-hour sets with a 20-minute break. This is do-able. But I think four one-hour sets (or variations thereof) would just about kill me. And as said, I don't think an audience would tolerate us for that long.

There's also the question of material. We have a roster of around 70 songs we choose from, if our gigs were twice as long we'd need a roster of 140 songs to achieve the same level of variation and interest. That's a considerable extra investment in writing, arranging, learning and rehearsing that would put our current method of working under extreme pressure.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1459767294' post='3019292']
...it took a few texts and phone conversations with one possible lead to find out that after 9 months they had got as far as doing 2 open mics and learned 6-8 songs (but were also writing their own). They didn't feel they would be 'gig ready' for at least another 12-18 months!
[/quote]

I assume you didn't join that band, then..? :D

Sometimes bands can take a long time to get going. I've been in a couple that were over a year from inception to first proper gig, but in those it took a long time to get a complete and stable line up and in both cases the music relied heavily on pre-programmed backing which takes a lot longer to arrange than simply getting a bunch of musicians together in a room and jamming them out. Also these bands existed at a time when to do what we wanted we were really pushing the technology that was cheaply and easily available to the limits of what it was capable of.

Sometimes time away from gigging and just focusing on playing in ones bedroom, really can add enjoyment to it all again, and make you a vastly better player. It's all down to situations and personal aspirations.

As for set times, yeah there's no way a lot of the bands I know could cope doing a 4 hour set. A 4 hour set would easily include 80-100 songs, most bands I've worked with don't even have 50 in their entire roster, let alone their set list!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1459769249' post='3019321']
Sometimes time away from gigging and just focusing on playing in ones bedroom, really can add enjoyment to it all again, and make you a vastly better player. It's all down to situations and personal aspirations.
[/quote]

I do a bit of both... if I'm not rehearsing or gigging I'm learning new songs at home... the rest of the band do the same. We're of the opinion that rehearsal is a time to try out songs for the first time as a band, tweak the arrangements and such. It's not a time to be learning material from scratch. To save time I've been learning new material from existing band recordings and playing them for the first time at gigs, which can be entertaining to say the least... however, the band don't deviate (much) from the recordings, so that makes it easier...

Edited by discreet

My 'pro' career, drumming, started off in a serious way when I moved to France, back in '76. At that time, a large part of the 'live' music industry was dance bands, playing every week-end in most towns and villages, all over France, especially during the longer summer months. The set list was variety, from Top 20 hits to polka, soft rock classics and waltzes. Anything, in fact, that folks (young and not-so-young...) would dance to. And dance they did, non-stop (for the band...) from 21h00 till 02h00, or longer for special dates such as New Year's Eve or the National Fête etc. The only band member that couldn't 'slide off' for a drink and/or a smoke was the drummer..! No worries; I took a bottle of diluted orange and had a swig between 'slows', but the gigs were 5 hours solid, 3 times a week in season, occasionally more. OK, you'll say, that's drumming, the 'soft spot'. Perhaps. Our bassist could be replaced for a few minutes by the guitarist, but essentially the music had to keep going, to keep the folks jiving so they'd get thirsty, to keep the bar active, to keep the organisers happy, to get booked back again. It worked well until the discos opened up; that 's when the variety bands folded, year after year. No, I couldn't do it now, but at the time, long variety gigs were the staple of French musicians. Happy daze, though.