Why become a member? ×

Musically Unfulfilled

Truckstop

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1459805264' post='3019933']

well actually you said "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Most start up bands don't stay together long enough to see they're first gig". [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]regardless, some people are happy to gig once a month. if you are implying that an originals band that plays a gig once a month and are happy with it are some how less of a band than a covers band that plays week in week out, then you are looking at music from totally the wrong angle imo.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I am not implying anything and if an originals band wants to gig 6 times a year it doesn't make them less of a band. They just wouldn't be a fit for me.

Blue

TBH Blue your input generally in this thread is pretty patronising. You adopt a position of being an elder statesman, an aspirational figure perhaps, but ultimately there are players younger than you reading this who are doing things differently either because they play different music to you, or they have different aspirations (4-hour bar gigs? Really?) or they have musical interests that are broader than just playing bass guitar in a given genre.

You come across as being fairly small-minded in comparison with most contributors here. And I don't think it's an age thing I think it's just that you've been stuck in making music in one very limited way for a long time. You can't seem to understand that some people do it differently and enjoy it just as much as you, or more than you do.

Playing formerly-popular songs to drunk middle-aged people for money isn't what young people want to do. It's not why anybody learns to play an instrument. I'm sure it's not why you learned to play and it's certainly not why I learned to play. I can understand why those who are pursuing a career as a professional musician will play weddings and so on but I'm in the position where I don't have to do that, and frankly I don't feel like I'm missing out.

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1459811174' post='3019998']
Playing formerly-popular songs to drunk middle-aged people for money isn't what young people want to do.
[/quote]

It's not what some old people want to do either, believe me.

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1459811174' post='3019998']
TBH Blue your input generally in this thread is pretty patronising. You adopt a position of being an elder statesman, an aspirational figure perhaps, but ultimately there are players younger than you reading this who are doing things differently either because they play different music to you, or they have different aspirations (4-hour bar gigs? Really?) or they have musical interests that are broader than just playing bass guitar in a given genre.

You come across as being fairly small-minded in comparison with most contributors here. And I don't think it's an age thing I think it's just that you've been stuck in making music in one very limited way for a long time. You can't seem to understand that some people do it differently and enjoy it just as much as you, or more than you do.

Playing formerly-popular songs to drunk middle-aged people for money isn't what young people want to do. It's not why anybody learns to play an instrument. I'm sure it's not why you learned to play and it's certainly not why I learned to play. I can understand why those who are pursuing a career as a professional musician will play weddings and so on but I'm in the position where I don't have to do that, and frankly I don't feel like I'm missing out.
[/quote]

I thinks it cultural and I think many here misinterpret just about everything I post.

There are younger musicians here that have more experience than me with a more contemporary approach to music, which I have acknowledged multiple times.

You really have everything about me 100% wrong. And by the way, I'm not in a traditional cover band and we don't play formerly popular music to middle age drunks. As a matter of fact if you saw us you would probably think we were an originals band. We have released two CDs of originals. I never encounter drunks at our gigs.

With all due respect you've got my story all wrong.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459803724' post='3019909']

In the summer we can have 3 four hour gigs in one weekend. Last summer we had 2 four hour gigs on the same day. A 2-6 and a 9-1.

It's fun.

Blue
[/quote]
There's no way a band could play two 4 hour sets over here on the same day. We have strict noise abatement laws that would see to that. And where everything is much smaller and closer together the clientele cross over wouldn't appreciate it and you'd be hung out to dry by your fellow musicians. It's just not the format for gigs in the UK.

And as I said the band's themselves would struggle mostly as most have barely 50 songs in their repertoire. There's certainly some culture differences with how bands operate. Out of interest Blue, how does the average original gig in a small venue work? Over here you typically have a 3 hour gig with 4 bands on with a ticket price ranging between free and £12. Average price of £4 in my area.

Edit - small venue defined as <200 cap

Edited by JamesBass

I just flicked briefly through this interesting thread.
I will read it all though in time .
Sounds like the o p could/ should keep the band he is in , and do a few projects all the while improving his creativity and talent he has.

Myself : because I learnt quite late to play originals IMHO ( 1st gig on my 30th birthday ) , I have been in covers bands on and off over the years. The 'off' bit being when I was always out having beer with no time for the bass at all.

Being on my own and bored of bitchy bands, I got involved in recording stuff.
However, I find it all too laborious and glitchy.
(See my soundcloud / Mac mini threads;) )

I've now got a small Roland combo coming tomorrow , complete with bells and whistles .
( err I mean effects and drum machine and tuner )

This means I could just play with myself so to speak, ignoring the GarageBand etc.

When I'm in the right frame of mind , I will probably seek other musicians to play along with for fun in a tehearsal room . Hopefully a keyboardy person , a drummer and a guitarist.
That should leave me fulfilled ;)
No more mustang Sally / sex on fire/ wishing well for me .
I'll miss playing paranoid though ;)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459803724' post='3019909']
In the summer we can have 3 four hour gigs in one weekend. Last summer we had 2 four hour gigs on the same day. A 2-6 and a 9-1.

It's fun.

Blue
[/quote]

You light weight!!
I used to do tours of American military bases in Germany, which would be 5x45 mins per night, every night of a tour!!
And 6x45 mins a night in a club in Denmark, six nights a week.
I dunno...some people ain't lived... :D

Carry on Rocking Blue.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1459860046' post='3020303']
You light weight!! I used to do tours of American military bases in Germany, which would be 5x45 mins per night, every night of a tour!!
And 6x45 mins a night in a club in Denmark, six nights a week. I dunno...some people ain't lived... :D
[/quote]

That is really something, talk about what doesn't kill you... I take it this was, er... a while back? Would you do it now? :biggrin:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459860474' post='3020306']
That is really something, talk about what doesn't kill you... I take it this was, er... a while back? Would you do it now? :biggrin:
[/quote]

Would I do it now? You are 'aving a Giraffe!, ain't you?

Mid through until late 70's. A couple of the US bases, even had chicken wire around the stage. :lol:

Can any of you get fulfilled just by listening to music, experiencing it?

I gig a lot at different levels, pub, musical theater tours, originals etc. I compose. However, I can just put on a great piece of music (musically interesting not just a pop song) i.e Rite of Spring, Kuru/Speak like a child etc and just listen and enjoy it's complexity and beauty and realise how great music is. How its just a natural occuring phenomenon that we manipulate and do amazing things with and that fulfills me!

I think of it like the Force in Star Wars!

Man! I need to stop smoking so much weed!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1459844840' post='3020103']

There's no way a band could play two 4 hour sets over here on the same day. We have strict noise abatement laws that would see to that. And where everything is much smaller and closer together the clientele cross over wouldn't appreciate it and you'd be hung out to dry by your fellow musicians. It's just not the format for gigs in the UK.

And as I said the band's themselves would struggle mostly as most have barely 50 songs in their repertoire. There's certainly some culture differences with how bands operate. Out of interest Blue, how does the average original gig in a small venue work? Over here you typically have a 3 hour gig with 4 bands on with a ticket price ranging between free and £12. Average price of £4 in my area.

Edit - small venue defined as <200 cap
[/quote]

We never get to play all the songs in our set lists. 4 hours is not enough time.

In Milwaukee there are 3 originals clubs, Garbaldis, Frank's Power Plant and Linnemans. Plant It's generally a four hour show featuring 3-4 originals bands. There is a $5.00 cover and the bands are responsible for paying a house sound guy.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1459877473' post='3020524']
Can any of you get fulfilled just by listening to music, experiencing it?
[/quote]

For me, no, not really. I need that attention, applause and cheering after we play a song to feel fulfilled.

Blue

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1459877473' post='3020524']
Can any of you get fulfilled just by listening to music, experiencing it? ...just listen and enjoy it's complexity and beauty and realise how great music is. How its just a natural occurring phenomenon that we manipulate and do amazing things with and that fulfils me!
[/quote]

Yes, definitely. And I like the fact you can sometimes just pluck something out of the air and there it is, a brilliant musical idea. :)

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1459860046' post='3020303']

You light weight!!
I used to do tours of American military bases in Germany, which would be 5x45 mins per night, every night of a tour!!
And 6x45 mins a night in a club in Denmark, six nights a week.
I dunno...some people ain't lived... :D

Carry on Rocking Blue.
[/quote]

Yeah, 5,6 45 minute sets would be cool for me.

Daryl

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1459877667' post='3020528']
I was fulfilled last night. Practice was really good, we rehearsed really well for our gig on Friday...at which we shall probably have an audience you can count on one hand :D
[/quote]

Yes, the "small turn out".

That's a part of the gigging world we all have to deal with.

It can happen to any band.

Blue

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1459864891' post='3020351']
They do want to gig but they don't know it.
Gawd the energy you get from a great crowd... It beats sex.
[/quote]

I think that's true for some guys.

And some don't gig because there is no place to gig for the genre they play.

Some don't gig because they live in small market areas where there's no place for any kind of band to gig.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459882107' post='3020594']
For me, no, not really. I need that attention, applause and cheering after we play a song to feel fulfilled.

Blue
[/quote]

Blue, mate, that's not about music, it's about performing. I am the same, I need that audience, that interaction, to feel good. It's that or the booze!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459881687' post='3020586']
We never get to play all the songs in our set lists. 4 hours is not enough time.

In Milwaukee there are 3 originals clubs, Garbaldis, Frank's Power Plant and Linnemans. Plant It's generally a four hour show featuring 3-4 originals bands. There is a $5.00 cover and the bands are responsible for paying a house sound guy.

Blue
[/quote]
That shows the vast difference in playing in America vs the UK. Generally Pubs shut no later than 1am, with noise abatement laws shutting the music off by 11.30pm so for bands to be playing 4 hours you'd be starting before the pub was even 1/4 full. The culture of going out in the UK is vastly different to the States it seems.

Similar show lengths for originals, but different procedures. Sound guys that are in house are paid by the house who also cover bar and door staff. Costs are higher, especially now with our new national living wage for over 25's.