Why become a member? ×

Musically Unfulfilled

Truckstop

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459770038' post='3019336']
I do a bit of both... if I'm not rehearsing or gigging I'm learning new songs at home... the rest of the band do the same. We're of the opinion that rehearsal is a time to try out songs for the first time as a band, tweak the arrangements and such. It's not a time to be learning material from scratch. To save time I've been learning new material from existing band recordings and playing them for the first time at gigs, which can be entertaining to say the least... however, the band don't deviate (much) from the recordings, so that makes it easier...
[/quote]
I'm in the same boat. I play in a few bands, some are original bands some are covers, others are a mixture of both! So for me learning songs at home in my bedroom benefit me on gigs, and in the pit as I like to think of my playing as puzzles, where sometimes I am missing pieces so I improvise using things I have in my 'Bag of tricks' that bag of tricks comes from intense studying of a VAST array of songs and genres and other players playing! Sometimes Jazz licks get used over pop ballads, other times root notes come out in jazz fusion. It all comes from having bedroom time though. Rehearsals with bands are time to tighten things up, and plan for upcoming gigs.

In nearly fifty years of playing I have been in many bands. The majority were so-called 'start-up' bands and the great majority gigged regularly. I can only recall one that did no gigs at all. Hence, I am yet another exception to the imaginary rule.

When I was still nearly a child I harboured thoughts of musical and financial success. For a long time now I have been happy to have a hobby that I often get paid to do.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459768475' post='3019309']
I assume you didn't join that band, then..? :D
[/quote]

Amazingly, no I didn't ;) . The clincher was when he said they weren't bothered about getting paid either. So I'd be learning songs for up to 18 months for the possibility of a gig for no money. He was practically talking me out of getting involved as we chatted.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1459772989' post='3019398']
Amazingly, no I didn't ;) . The clincher was when he said they weren't bothered about getting paid either. So I'd be learning songs for up to 18 months for the possibility of a gig for no money. He was practically talking me out of getting involved as we chatted.
[/quote]

Better than my experience of being told all kinds of positive things about a band's future when there was never any intention to do any gigs, let alone get paid. Probably best he said what he did - at least he was up front about it. Mind you, 18 months is one hell of a time to be learning songs! Did they have 500 numbers, or what? :)

I think he was just extrapolating given that they had taken 9 months to get about 8 songs under their belt, so a full set would be another 12-18 months. They didn't sound like kids either. I expect they all had families that didn't allow them to do much other than get to a rehearsal room on occasional Sunday afternoons. I was sent a 30 song set list from a band just before Easter and I reckon I've got a reasonable grasp of all but 5 or 6 of them by now. Meeting them tomorrow night for a jam. Here's hoping...

i love metal, but is my bass good for metal, ive no idea as i play in a rock covers band, yes i would like to play heavier stuff but if im honest i proabably dont have the ability to play the stuff i like, so i geuss i'm just happy to be playing. not necessarily musiclly fullfilled but content

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459770038' post='3019336'] We're of the opinion that rehearsal is a time to try out songs for the first time as a band, tweak the arrangements and such. It's not a time to be learning material from scratch.
[/quote]
We have the same outlook regarding the difference between practice and rehearsal. I mean there's 12 of us for god's sake... if we all turned to rehearse a song having not played a note or studied a dot beforehand, well you can imagine the car crash.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1459776059' post='3019459']

Fixed.
[/quote]

Yep.....if you are trying to make a living from being a musician it is important that you get paid 👍

If i tried to make a living from being a musician i would probably starve.....

I don't have any desire to go back to covers as despite the fact it was often fun, I just want to write and have that excitement of people enjoying music you have created.

I literally have so many ideas I get confused and/or forget them so I now record it VERY basically on my iPhone for future reference. 95% of them are guitar parts. I would write the bass but I'm finding that guitarists just aren't what I want them to be, so I have to do it.

I am frustrated and ready to finish another project as I feel my ideas just aren't being listened to and it is going in a very odd direction which I never wanted.

Probably the worst few years I've had since being very young, but my career and personal life is decent, so now I just need the music to be sorted out.

...and the BEST times I have had playing music was when it was for our enjoyment, not money, just pure fun. Touring an album/EP with zero cares about profit, as long as we get some fuel money and sell a few t shirts, we didn't care.

I rely on my actual job to pay me. If you are a working musician it is totally different.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1459723704' post='3019055']I don't see it as unreasonable. Groups of people who actually just want to play music, but don't want all the hassle that goes with dealing with the public. I am sure we have all done gigs when we would have prefered to be at home!
[/quote]

Half of the time I just can't be bothered with all the sitting around. I've done hundreds of gigs, it's enough to be honest.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1459758674' post='3019161']

all but one of my start up bands have played shows, one in fact had a full set written, cd recorded and gig performed in the space of 2 months... does this make me some miracle worker?
[/quote]

I don't know. I'd really have to hear the band.

Remember, when I'm talking about gigging, I'm talking about gigging every week. Not the occasional gig that comes along or gigging once a month.

Blue

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1459766525' post='3019274']

Our audience cries at the idea of a 4 hour set too. Imagine putting up with our nonsense for that long!
[/quote]

Again I think it's cultural difference. For our 4 hour gigs here in the states not many people stay for the whole night.

The crowd we have for that 3rd and last set is not the same as the crowd we had for the 1st set.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1459769249' post='3019321']
Sometimes time away from gigging and just focusing on playing in ones bedroom, really can add enjoyment to it all again, and make you a vastly better player. It's all down to situations and personal aspirations.

As for set times, yeah there's no way a lot of the bands I know could cope doing a 4 hour set. A 4 hour set would easily include 80-100 songs, most bands I've worked with don't even have 50 in their entire roster, let alone their set list!
[/quote]

In the summer we can have 3 four hour gigs in one weekend. Last summer we had 2 four hour gigs on the same day. A 2-6 and a 9-1.

It's fun.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1459772989' post='3019398']

[/quote]

The above is an example of these opportunities that don't make sense to me.

Blue

Edited by blue

Musically unfulfilled? Yup. They're going in a completely different direction, and I'm just not enjoying rehearsals anymore. I'll give it a few more rehearsals before deciding, but at the moment, it's a "meh" from me.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459802524' post='3019889']
Remember, when I'm talking about gigging, I'm talking about gigging every week. Not the occasional gig that comes along or gigging once a month.
[/quote]
well actually you said "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Most start up bands don't stay together long enough to see they're first gig". [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]regardless, some people are happy to gig once a month. if you are implying that an originals band that plays a gig once a month and are happy with it are some how less of a band than a covers band that plays week in week out, then you are looking at music from totally the wrong angle imo.[/font][/color]

Edited by RockfordStone

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459802524' post='3019889']
[/quote]
What, not even if they pay? ;)