Why become a member? ×

Zero bass Gas

Twincam

Since getting my Jim Fleeting custom, which while not perfect (it's close for me) I do love. I've had zero interest in other bass guitars and it feels weird.
For that long I've checked for sale sections or online stock looking at basses, lusting over them, thinking of ways to accuire them and now I have zero interest, although I like to keep an eye on current prices.

My gf was relived to hear that. I didn't say "So I guess it's on to amp and accessory gas" but I wanted too, we are only just back together didn't want to spoil it haha.

I doubt I'll ever completely run out of gas, too many awesome basses to own at some point, none of which are really needed with my Dingwall 5-string and Jazz 4-string as excellent quality instruments. Still on the list:

1) Rickenbacker - black 4001 (I'm a Geddy fan ok!).
2) Status Series 2
3) P-bass - something simple and US made.
4) Spector NS 4-string

I'd add a Lemmy Cheyenne Rik to the list but they're rare than a rare thing.

Then there's all that beautiful exotic wood and awesome finishes to explore - Pedulla's etc.

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1459007277' post='3012806']
Glad to read things are back on track for you buddy :)
[/quote]

Yes it taken some soul searching. Apologies, a diamond ring and flowers. Plus knowing my own faults.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1459009873' post='3012838']
I often wonder who you're trying to kid when I read these threads - we all know that there's no cure for GAS ;) ;)
[/quote]

Haha. Well I have amp gas at the min. I really fancy something ampeg.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1459011063' post='3012856']Haha. Well I have amp gas at the min. I really fancy something ampeg.[/quote]

Very disappointed with their class-D offerings (PF-500). Valves might be better though!

I need to sell basses before I buy more, purely down to space restrictions, that tends to keep a bit of a lid on the GAS as most of the time I can't be bothered with the whole selling thing.....I have just agreed to buy a fretless Bass Collection off here which has prompted the sale of the Tokai Jazz

Still on the list to own is a Ric but that will mean the sale of the Warwick to fund it, but the Warwick is that good, it is a limited edition....if I do sell it then don't like the Ric there is no way I would be able to buy another one, that's why that hasn't happened yet.

I would still like to own a Wal but that would mean the sale of a couple of basses to fund that one and they would be instruments I really don't want or need to part with

Bass GAS has disappeared over the last 6 months or so since i discovered Stingrays. Partly i suspect because i have tried most on my hit list over the last 5 years since my return to playing and to have been fortunate enough to be able to afford to pick something up if it really appeals and flip it if i find something i prefer later.

I have been through 3 Spectors, a Fender Blacktop Jazz, a Yamaha BB and just have a mild hankering for a Warwick but my current Stingrays and a Sandberg seem to have sorted me out to the point of not bothering to really look anymore.

Cab GAS is cured with a couple of Barefaced and amps sorted by GK and hopefully my new Ashdown Evo iv head.

Life will be boring now...........

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1459035613' post='3013114']
Bass GAS has disappeared over the last 6 months or so since i discovered Stingrays. Partly i suspect because i have tried most on my hit list over the last 5 years since my return to playing and to have been fortunate enough to be able to afford to pick something up if it really appeals and flip it if i find something i prefer later.

I have been through 3 Spectors, a Fender Blacktop Jazz, a Yamaha BB and just have a mild hankering for a Warwick but my current Stingrays and a Sandberg seem to have sorted me out to the point of not bothering to really look anymore.

Cab GAS is cured with a couple of Barefaced and amps sorted by GK and hopefully my new Ashdown Evo iv head.

Life will be boring now...........
[/quote]

There's still pedals and other fx, strings etc etc

No bass GAS 😯 You feeling alright there?

I know what you mean though, when you buy a great instrument it's natural to think "this is it for me". Partly because we want to be free from the ridiculous and expensive merry-go-round that is GAS!

... You are never truly free though 😐 A relapse is but one thread away...

My bass GAS has become more and more specific over the years as I narrow down to what really suits me and I really like. The odd cheapie could get me to buy and try, but even that's less and less these days. If the right Shuker came up I'd be all over it, but that'd be very unlikely, and I just don't have the cash to order another custom build. The only other thing I want is for Jon to make me a new neck for my Fenderbird...

Amp and cab GAS, though...that's another thing entirely... :D

God I wish I didn't have GAS at the moment, I've had my Sandberg TM5 for a few months, I've gigged it a lot, and it is a lovely, lovely playing bass, but, I think the MM humbucker is too close to the bridge, I need it to be about 1cm towards the neck. It's almost perfect, but not quite. I might go back to using the Stingray 5, but that's so ugly. I need a Stingray 5 Classic, and maybe an Overwater Jazz.

I also NEED a 5 string P...............and a fretless..................I want a valve amp..................

Edited by EmmettC

It will come back. It's like the Herpes virus.

I've found that when I've found 'the one', I simply get increased GAS for a backup. Or GAS for the same bass as 'the one' but in a different colour. Or GAS for something different that I know I won't prefer to 'the one' but just feel like a change.

I currently have GAS for anything G&L. I also have permanent, incurable P-bass GAS despite owning 3 already (all of which are great) and having ordered another custom-made P that should be ready any day now. Doesn't stop me lusting over pretty much every P bass I see for sale on here.

Damn you GAS!!

I can genuinely say for the first time in 13 years I'm gas free. Honestly! Got a Warwick and it instantly felt and sounded tailor made for me, and what I want a bass to be to a 'T' whereas no other bass has ever illicited that reaction. It's been 3 months and my mind is still a zen-like state for the first time ever. I don't find it lacking in any department and having owned and played most things that would of ever been of any interest to me, even the curiosity factor for new stuff has gone. There is one however, being a WaL mk1 but even that is a closed off concept being 4.5k new!

I reckon it is possible to buy basses without having GAS, honestly :)

My Lull P won't need replacing. Haven't had GAS since then. I bought a 5 since but only because I needed one.

Though I absolutely love my Thumb 5 it sometimes winds up my back condition, even when seated, so I may need to get a larger bodied 5. I'm now casually looking for a G&L or cheap 34" Lull. That's need and not want. GAS would be a custom made Lull and though I could order one today I can't justify those figures so my GAS is controlled easily.

My Modulus Flea may one day need to be sold if I need to cash in, so a second hand Stingray or G&L would replace that. Again, need and not want.

Mike Lull cured my troublesome GAS so I've been more into selling than buying ;)