Why become a member? ×

Surprisingly good bass guitars

Twincam

I keep thinking of two relatively cheap bass guitars ive had in the past that were surprisingly good instruments.

The first was a peavey millennium active, the ones with the quilted top. Had rubbish tuning heads but the rest of it was a pretty good instrument, zero issues, nice neck, lightweight, easy to setup, decent output. Sold because even though active it was a bit too dark and one dimensional sounding.

The second was a squire bronco bass. After I levelled the frets etc it could take a fantastic action. Very easy to play. But I really liked its "rubbish" strat pickup. Not great in the bass department not the highest output but did have good mids and a good growl, I thought it worked really well with pedals too. Again very one dimensional. And being picky the bottom strap button was misaligned.

Any other stories of basses that have surprised you in a good way?

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1458064308' post='3004365']

The second was a squire bronco bass. After I levelled the frets etc it could take a fantastic action. Very easy to play. But I really liked its "rubbish" strat pickup. Not great in the bass department not the highest output but did have good mids and a good growl, I thought it worked really well with pedals too. Again very one dimensional. And being picky the bottom strap button was misaligned.

[/quote]

+1 on the Bronco. I loved mine from years back but sadly it had an unfortunate episode with a flight of stairs.

[quote name='uzzell' timestamp='1458065837' post='3004390']
+1 on the Bronco. I loved mine from years back but sadly it had an unfortunate episode with a flight of stairs.
[/quote]

+2 ! My son has one and I keep borrowing it for fun.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1458072909' post='3004481']
Squier vm jazz basses are surprisingly good. I've played a good few expensive and vintage Fenders and all of them have been horrendous except the squier.
[/quote]

I treated myself to a '70s VM Jazz a few months ago & I've been delighted with it. I bought it because I wanted something cheapish I could have a go at modding & I've changed a few bits and pieces, but even as stock it was a great bass. The neck is one of the nicest I've ever played.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1458077184' post='3004569']
I treated myself to a '70s VM Jazz a few months ago & I've been delighted with it. I bought it because I wanted something cheapish I could have a go at modding & I've changed a few bits and pieces, but even as stock it was a great bass. The neck is one of the nicest I've ever played.
[/quote]

The one I tried is one of the only 3 Jazz basses I've played that I actually enjoyed playing. The other two being a Sadowsky and a Spector (so 9/10 times the price minimum)

Squire Jazz bass starter kit, the bass is an Affinity and it is actually pretty amazing for the price, the pick ups have a pretty high output and it sounds lovely, i do occasionally use it for gigs its just a little heavy. Bought it for my daughter to learn on but she never really got into it unfortunately.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1458078247' post='3004587']
Another +1 for the Bronco. I had one in the house for a week and couldn't put it down! £72 off eBay well worth it for an absolute delight. Unfortunately I bought it for someone else :/(
[/quote]

+...are we up to 4 now? My very first bass was a Bronco. Really nice little bass. I eventually realised it was a bit small, and snubbed it in favour of long-scale basses, but I couldn't have asked for a better starting point.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1458074626' post='3004520']
Chinese corvette rockbass, Peavey Milestone III jazz type. S/H knock down bargains.
[/quote]

My first fretless was a Corvette Rockbass. Traded it in a for a fretless Jazz last year, but again, a very good starting point given I wasn't sure whether I'd get on with fretless basses in the long run. Nice neck on that thing.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1458126349' post='3004881']
Why is it surprising that Yamahas are good when I can't recall reading a "Yamahas are crap" post, ever? ;)
[/quote]

Because people associate Yamaha with other stuff generally. I know I personally think of the old PSR range of bontempi crap keyboards. So I know a little monster in the back of my head does a sideye and says, "really?" when people say Yamaha's are really good.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1458127022' post='3004893']
Because people associate Yamaha with other stuff generally. I know I personally think of the old PSR range of bontempi crap keyboards. So I know a little monster in the back of my head does a sideye and says, "really?" when people say Yamaha's are really good.
[/quote]

I should have said "Why is it surprising [b]to people on this forum[/b] that Yamahas are good when I can't recall reading a "Yamahas are crap" post, ever?" ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1458128112' post='3004905']

I should have said "Why is it surprising [b]to people on this forum[/b] that Yamahas are good when I can't recall reading a "Yamahas are crap" post, ever?" ;)
[/quote]

I had an rbx 170, my 2nd bass it wasn't bad. Very well made and put together. Didn't like the weak pickups or the neck profile. But as yamahas budget model it was pretty good better quality than similar priced basses of the time.
Bought from cash generator for 65 quid delivered (mint condition) sold a few weeks later for £110.

Peavey Cirrus BXP.

I owned a 5-string and it was a superb instrument, [i]really[/i] good build quality for the money (I picked it up for something like £280).

Eventually sold as I discovered that 35" scale isn't for me. Otherwise it would have been a keeper, for sure.