Why become a member? ×

Music for meatheads

EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1457445118' post='2998636']
Not really. I play these songs far too often... as it's what people apparently want to hear. 132 wedding/corporate gigs in 2014 and these songs pretty much were staple.

It's got nothing to do with slow day or running people down. Chill out a bit and enjoy the topic for what it is. You know, you don't have to participate in a thread... people aren't going to force you... and as far as I am aware, participation isn't mandatory.
[/quote]It is ok. I read the topic totally wrong, for which I realised, and was going to delete it, but I thought I may as well just leave it up as it will teach me to read things properly before responding and take the comments on the chin as experience.. I can understand that different songs attract a different type of `dancer`

Edited by timmo

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1457446067' post='2998652']
It is ok. I read the topic totally wrong, for which I realised, and was going to delete it, but I thought I may as well just leave it up as it will teach me to read things properly before responding and take the comments on the chin as experience.. I can understand that different songs attract a different type of `dancer`
[/quote]

In which case, enjoy the thread!

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1457445332' post='2998640']

I've never understood it either, comparing Oasis to The Beatles is like comparing a turd on a paper plate to a gourmet dinner in a Michelin Restaurant (and I'm no Beatles fan).
[/quote]
It wasn't even a fresh warm turd on a new paper plate, dried out mouldy one on a crumpled plate that you know will fold in half when you pick it up resulting in the rotting moist poo within the crusty outer getting under your thumb nail. Pah.

Pretty much all the songs mentioned were in our set, at least with James "Sit Down" you got some interesting views as people sat / fell down / staggered back up :ph34r:

I can't go with the "Oasis are sh*te" trend, much as I wanted to smack Liam in the mouth on many an occasion I will wager they did achieve far more success than any of us on here?

In my wedding band our two Ska numbers seem to be magnets for people no one had noticed all night...especially the air saxers on One Step Beyond - where do these people live? ...and worst of all do they breed? :D

I bet you look good on the dance floor- Artic Monkeys.

What happened to that Hard-Fi band from a few years back? They seemed to make a few pub fight songs.

It's basically any post 90's upbeat rock song, without the benefit of self-awareness, that seems to do it.

Lots of those on our setlist, and yeah, they get a good and lively reaction, but nothing in the 'meathead' category - I've done pushing 150 wedding gigs over the last couple of years, and none of the mayhem mentioned. Maybe we just get better weddings...

Are old blokes still moaning about Oasis and the Beatles, then? It's been twenty years, you know... :D

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1457483126' post='2999058']

Yeah, you know it's a quality gig when someones shoe goes sailing pass your head.

True story 😃

Blue
[/quote]

We had a bit of crowd surfing at a beer festival a few years ago. One young lad fell face-first onto a floor monitor and knocked himself clean out. Crowd carried on dancing around him!

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1457452345' post='2998725']
We play swords of a 1000 men and although it always goes down well it has also caused lots of drunken men to link arms and jump around quite aggressively
[/quote]
That's how it went down at the TenPole gigs :)

[color=#6A6A6A][font=arial, sans-serif][b]Delilah - Tom Jones :)[/b][/font][/color]

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1457443994' post='2998614']...what a sh*t band Oasis (thankfully) were. For me they introduced all the people that were knobs into dance music into the live music scene, I remember seeing lads at gigs that previously bullied school friends for playing the guitar![/quote]
[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1457444446' post='2998624']Yep... this was my experience of it at school in the 90s.[/quote]

Really? Weird. That certainly wasn't the case locally up here in Manchester. But then I guess a lot of southerners adopted Oasis as their own, on their own terms. Just as they do with our local football teams :D

PS: I'm not an Oasis fan. But I do secretly enjoy how Liam Gallagher consistently manages to p*** so many people off. The music industry needs [s]knob heads[/s] characters like that to keep things spicy, IMO.

Edited by Skol303

I always thought that Oasis were great - a good rowdy rock n'roll band with plenty of energy and loads of great tunes! Sure, some of them were a bit derivative and they were not the greatest players but so what? The last band in this country to inspire loads of kids to pick up a guitar, all good in my book.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1457440594' post='2998530']
People will sit on a piss and beer soaked carpet in their most expensive clothes within two minutes of James's Sit Down, odd.
[/quote]
[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1457441846' post='2998563']
You clearly play some quality gigs... :D
[/quote]

It's a glamorous business we're in, that's for sure. :mellow:

Edited by discreet