Why become a member? ×

Music for meatheads

EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1457439940' post='2998509']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I Predict A Riot - Kaiser Chiefs[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ruby - Kaiser Chiefs[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Chelsea Dagger - Fratellis[/font][/color]
Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners
[/quote]

These songs are on the very long list that I won't play under any circumstances. Obviously my rock/pop covers band career has been seriously compromised as a result. :D

Edited by discreet

Enjoying this thread immensely!

Being from the South Wales Valleys, for us it's a case of 'any phonics butt?', to which I always reply, 'next weeks band mate'.

My covers band do modern pop, we have a (relatively) young female singer, and do Rita Ora, Meghan Trainor, Ellie Goulding etc...I remain amazed at the fact that some people are still surprised when I tell them 'No, we don't do any Oasis' after they've listened to the sort of set we have for the last hour or so.

IMHO, in general your 'average' pub punter bases their judgment on how good your band is by the content of your setlist, rather than how well you play the songs.

I've had this discussion with various people who call a band sh*t because they don't like the songs (which may actually be being played very well indeed). Usually Rock/metal fans (of which I am one) who are seeing a Pop Band.

YMMV!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1457537018' post='2999489']
Enjoying this thread immensely!

Being from the South Wales Valleys, for us it's a case of 'any phonics butt?', to which I always reply, 'next weeks band mate'.

My covers band do modern pop, we have a (relatively) young female singer, and do Rita Ora, Meghan Trainor, Ellie Goulding etc...I remain amazed at the fact that some people are still surprised when I tell them 'No, we don't do any Oasis' after they've listened to the sort of set we have for the last hour or so.

IMHO, in general your 'average' pub punter bases their judgment on how good your band is by the content of your setlist, rather than how well you play the songs.

I've had this discussion with various people who call a band sh*t because they don't like the songs (which may actually be being played very well indeed). Usually Rock/metal fans (of which I am one) who are seeing a Pop Band.

YMMV!
[/quote]

Ha definitely! A set list can make or break a band.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1457452345' post='2998725']
We play swords of a 1000 men and although it always goes down well it has also caused lots of drunken men to link arms and jump around quite aggressively
[/quote]Saw that on TOTP '81 the other night and thought it would fit in our set list nicely. Glad someone else likes it.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1457643496' post='3000640']
Saw that on TOTP '81 the other night and thought it would fit in our set list nicely. Glad someone else likes it.
[/quote]

Yes I saw it too. They looked off their heads!!!
It's a very easy song to play and I would say that in the 50 or so gigs we've played it at, it's gone down really well at all of them :)

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1457643496' post='3000640']
Saw that on TOTP '81 the other night and thought it would fit in our set list nicely. Glad someone else likes it.
[/quote]

I think it was the second single I ever bought.

Showing my age a bit.

The B side was a cracker.

• 2 weeks later...