Why become a member? ×

Music for meatheads

EBS_freak

Spin off from other thread....

There's some songs that turn punters into absolute ass hats.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I Predict A Riot - Kaiser Chiefs[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ruby - Kaiser Chiefs[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Chelsea Dagger - Fratellis[/font][/color]
Mr Brightside - The Killers

and from taunton-hobbit -

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners[/font][/color]

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1457440048' post='2998513']
Anything by Oasis.
[/quote]

Oh yes. Cue throwing of beer and drunken singing at any wedding. Awful.

Wonderwall and Don't Look Back In Anger get my vote.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1457440239' post='2998519']
It probably sounds like every other sh*tty brainless w***er anthem they've every written.
[/quote]

You say written... you mean rehashed from The Beatles?

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1457440594' post='2998530']
People will sit on a piss and beer soaked carpet in their most expensive clothes within two minutes of James's Sit Down, odd.
[/quote]

The power of suggestion. :D

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1457439940' post='2998509']
Spin off from other thread....

There's some songs that turn punters into absolute ass hats.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I Predict A Riot - Kaiser Chiefs[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ruby - Kaiser Chiefs[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Chelsea Dagger - Fratellis[/font][/color]
Mr Brightside - The Killers

and from taunton-hobbit -

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners[/font][/color]
[/quote]

oops.......rather too many of these in our set list at the mo.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1457440594' post='2998530']
People will sit on a piss and beer soaked carpet in their most expensive clothes within two minutes of James's Sit Down, odd.
[/quote]

You clearly play some quality gigs... :D

When I was about 17 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' was the cue for the lads from the local rugby club to surge onto the dance floor and start randomly punching people.

It swiftly got banned from every pub & club in town. Land lords checked your setlist and if that was on you were told to either take it off or cancel the gig.

Edited by Cato

These songs are the bread and butter of the pub/wedding bands, so even if you hate them, it gives other people a bit of entertainment. There seems to be a lot of threads running down people who have been made rich from their music. Must be another slow day for decent topics

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1457440313' post='2998520']
You say written... you mean rehashed from The Beatles?
[/quote]
I never understood this point of view, the Beatles were a great band, with lovely melodies and harmonies, Oasis are a shouty light rock band (fro meatheads), apart from the hair cuts I don't think they're alike at all

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1457443994' post='2998614']
I think they ripped Slade far more musically?, what a sh*t band Oasis (thankfully) were. For me they introduced all the people that were knobs into dance music into the live music scene, I remember seeing lads at gigs that previously bullied school friends for playing the guitar!
[/quote]

Yep... this was my experience of it at school in the 90s.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1457442984' post='2998587']
Song 2 Blur =thread surely?
[/quote]
Indeed. I was going to say the Frattellis too.

Mind you, I play in a Ska Band, we tend to attract the meat-heads....

Bit of an Odd One that seems to cause a huge drunken singalong (although not a violent one) - You've lost that loving feeling.
Also, Somebody Told Me (The Killers)

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1457442559' post='2998575']
These songs are the bread and butter of the pub/wedding bands, so even if you hate them, it gives other people a bit of entertainment. There seems to be a lot of threads running down people who have been made rich from their music. Must be another slow day for decent topics
[/quote]

Not really. I play these songs far too often... as it's what people apparently want to hear. 132 wedding/corporate gigs in 2014 and these songs pretty much were staple.

It's got nothing to do with slow day or running people down. Chill out a bit and enjoy the topic for what it is. You know, you don't have to participate in a thread... people aren't going to force you... and as far as I am aware, participation isn't mandatory.

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1457443042' post='2998590']
I never understood this point of view, the Beatles were a great band, with lovely melodies and harmonies, Oasis are a shouty light rock band (fro meatheads), apart from the hair cuts I don't think they're alike at all
[/quote]

Agreed. I was merely stating the cliche. I'm a big Beatles fan. I'm not an Oasis fan. Either the personnel or the music.

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1457443042' post='2998590']
[/quote]

I've never understood it either, comparing Oasis to The Beatles is like comparing a turd on a paper plate to a gourmet dinner in a Michelin Restaurant (and I'm no Beatles fan).