Why become a member? ×

Why Americans love The Beatles

Happy Jack

American loves The Beatles because....

Dracula blew too much smoke out of his ears when he heard the Standells ?

No, don't follow you....did it kill their career ? How ? Did Dracula follow them around and everyone got sick of the cigar smoke ?

Why was Dracula following the Standells ?

I give up.

:)

Edited by ahpook

Thing is, either The Beatles were the most original/innovative/wonderful/addyourownsuperlative or they weren't, yet why would that affect anyone's honest opinion about them - or are there people out there who only like/dislike them (or anything really) simply because of what other people think?

In short, why should other people's opinion affect what we like or dislike? Another example of blind tribal behaviour perhaps?

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1455813171' post='2982678']
Thing is, either The Beatles were the most original/innovative/wonderful/addyourownsuperlative or they weren't, yet why would that affect anyone's honest opinion about them - or are there people out there who only like/dislike them (or anything really) simply because of what other people think?

In short, why should other people's opinion affect what we like or dislike? Another example of blind tribal behaviour perhaps?
[/quote]

I agree that it would be odd to like or dislike merely on the basis of what someone else thought.

However, I'd say it's both possible and not unreasonable to change one's mind on the basis of what someone else says. If it wasn't so, then there would be no point discussing anything.

Warning: this would require having an open mind.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1455815778' post='2982705']

[/quote]well judging by the number of threads and the length of them the Beatles may not have been the best, most innovative, influential, etc etc, band in the world ever but I don't think anybody can argue that they are the most talked about band on Basschat

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1455814013' post='2982688']

I agree that it would be odd to like or dislike merely on the basis of what someone else thought.

However, I'd say it's both possible and not unreasonable to change one's mind on the basis of what someone else says. If it wasn't so, then there would be no point discussing anything.

Warning: this would require having an open mind.
[/quote]

Yes, discussion is a vital part of discovery and I certainly wasn't advocating ignoring all other opinions. I've been introduced to many artists that I really like so in one sense I like them because others do as well, but that's not really the 'tribal' thing I was thinking about.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1455817009' post='2982727']

Yes, discussion is a vital part of discovery and I certainly wasn't advocating ignoring all other opinions. I've been introduced to many artists that I really like so in one sense I like them because others do as well, but that's not really the 'tribal' thing I was thinking about.
[/quote]

Point taken.

Beatles were primarily influenced by the polite end of soul. Berry Gordy etc.
Hence folks in the south would be less impressed. I mean, Watts-Stax etc.....Muscle Shoals....
I was one of the Southerners in the UK who was not that impressed with them.
Great tunes but not much to shake your butt to.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1455830279' post='2982875']
Beatles were primarily influenced by the polite end of soul. Berry Gordy etc.
Hence folks in the south would be less impressed. I mean, Watts-Stax etc.....Muscle Shoals....
I was one of the Southerners in the UK who was not that impressed with them.
Great tunes but not much to shake your butt to.
[/quote]

To be fair - they seemed to like them - eventually - and vice-versa............