Why become a member? ×

Slow numbers in a set list

Nicko

I think it depends on the type of band/etc

My personal preference for weddings /type stuff is to put a slow dance song maybe 3 before the end. That way you fill the floor with couples, then hit them with a big dancy number when they're all up and the guys can't refuse their fair lady (or fair man, etc)
One of my bands call this the Bride Whisperer, as its also a chance for the happily married couple to have a dance again as they've usually had a chance to chat to everyone.

If your slow song loses the flow and energy of the set you've either picked the wrong slow number or you're playing it wrong.

I'll usually suggest any slow numbers (one per set, max) go somewhere in the middle of the set.

I think starting a pair of encore numbers with a slow number can work.

We usually gauge the audience on whether to do slow songs. Sometimes folk will dance to slow numbers. Some other times we have thought, right don't slow it down and then someone comes and asks for a particular slow one. You just never know what kind of mood an audience is in.
If it's a function, slow songs are a must in my humble opinion. Drunk people get very lovey dovey!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1455703572' post='2981534']
If your slow song loses the flow and energy of the set you've either picked the wrong slow number or you're playing it wrong.

I'll usually suggest any slow numbers (one per set, max) go somewhere in the middle of the set.

I think starting a pair of encore numbers with a slow number can work.
[/quote]

Yes. Far too many bands think the secret to keeping a crowd going is by bombarding their audience with fast and loud music.

Light and shade. Tension and release.

That's what music is all about.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1455641475' post='2981021']
Our guitarist likes to keep the rest of the band guessing too!
[/quote]

It's not just me then. Our songs are picked from a list as we go. The guitarist will often just tear into the opening riff and we just follow along

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1455743863' post='2982107']

It's not just me then. Our songs are picked from a list as we go. The guitarist will often just tear into the opening riff and we just follow along
[/quote]

I dream of being in a band like that.

I used to play gigs with my dad (keys player), you'd get four bars intro, then the drums and bass pick it up. :D

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1455640070' post='2980996']
I think there's got to be some variety in the set, I wouldn't keep bashing people over the head at the same pace with the same ferocity for the entire time :)
[/quote]

Agreed,for bar and club gigs sometime we get requests from couple's that want to slow dance and we're prepared for that.

For festivals and fair gigs it seems best to keep the energy level high.

Blue

[/quote]

I like that method when the transition to the next song is done quick. A lot better than way too much time between songs, like a high school level band.

My band doesn't do this, but I also think medleys, stringing a few songs together is cool.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1455706574' post='2981591']

Yes. Far too many bands think the secret to keeping a crowd going is by bombarding their audience with fast and loud music.

Light and shade. Tension and release.

That's what music is all about.
[/quote]

Try telling this to Adele would you?

All depends on the genre and type of function

We've been finishing with purple rain in our 80s set , it's fairly slow , but the singer is powerful and it gets everyone swaying , almost a group slow dance, but it works.

Edited by lojo

[/quote]

So do we, and so does ours, but it doesn't always help the harp player much as he would really like to have the right one in his hand at the beginning. Especially when he says "It's a bit of a gentle atmosphere in here at the moment, let's start the set with some SRV - how about Pride and Joy?" and then launches into Cold Shot. Took me two bars of intro to realise, but the harp player was frantically digging in his box of tricks. To be fair he has them all nicely in order so it didn't take long but it did induce a look of blind panic.

Edited by phil.c60

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455758202' post='2982256']
I like that method when the transition to the next song is done quick. A lot better than way too much time between songs, like a high school level band.

My band doesn't do this, but I also think medleys, stringing a few songs together is cool.

Blue
[/quote]

Actually there tends to be quite a lot of banter in between songs. Although sometimes we'll do a medley for up to half an hour - all transitioned at random and no idea what is coming next. We tend to have a very relaxed atmosphere, a fun evening - with some serious music too :D

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1455805588' post='2982596']
I had a guitarist start a regular number (I think it was Amazing Grace) in 4/4 rather than the usual 3/4. We were a duo so the train wreck was total!!
[/quote]

On a tangent, I was once on a cross-channel ferry where Sid and Doris Bonkers were playing in the lounge on keyboards and guitar with a drum machine. I'm not sure that they'd entirely got the hang of programming it because they did "Delilah" in 4/4.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1455802398' post='2982564']
So do we, and so does ours, but it doesn't always help the harp player much as he would really like to have the right one in his hand at the beginning. Especially when he says "It's a bit of a gentle atmosphere in here at the moment, let's start the set with some SRV - how about Pride and Joy?" and then launches into Cold Shot. Took me two bars of intro to realise, but the harp player was frantically digging in his box of tricks. To be fair he has them all nicely in order so it didn't take long but it did induce a look of blind panic.
[/quote]

That is exactly what happens to us, there is a set list which the guitarist usually ignores, and often calls one song then plays another, while our harp guy (who's is rather deaf) is asking what key it's in...and somehow lip reads E as G or D. Somehow we haven't gone completely off the rails on stage yet, and I quite like the confused spontaneity of it all.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1457268917' post='2996843']
That is exactly what happens to us, there is a set list which the guitarist usually ignores, and often calls one song then plays another, while our harp guy (who's is rather deaf) is asking what key it's in...and somehow lip reads E as G or D. Somehow we haven't gone completely off the rails on stage yet, and I quite like the confused spontaneity of it all.
[/quote]

This would do my nut in.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1457269125' post='2996847']
This would do my nut in.
[/quote]

And mine

We work off of a set list. Only 2 slow numbers, one each set. We dont gauge audiences either - they get what we give 'em :)