Why become a member? ×

concept albums

Stu-khag

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1455027906' post='2975163']
A Grand Don't Come For Free is one of my favourite albums. A masterpiece!
[/quote]

Yeh, spine-tingling in parts! Good call

I wonder if my band's album would count? It's sort of all encapsulated in a website... [url="http://www.theallimportantliedetectortest.com"]www.theallimportantliedetectortest.com[/url]

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1455039179' post='2975313']
Marillion - Brave, the story of a young lady found about to throw herself from a bridge , not knowing who she was and why she was there....
[/quote]

She'd probably been listening to Marillion. :D

Don't forget there are two varieties of concept album... The story type and the overarching theme/high concept type... Lots of great ones mentioned but here are a few of my faves...

STORY:
Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of War Of The World's
Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad
The Who - Tommy
Rick Wkeman - Myths and Legends of King Arthur
Genesis - Duke
Horslips - The Tain
Horslips - The Book Of Invasions

OVERARCHING IDEA:
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Alan Parsons Project - Gaudi
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Horslips - The Man Who Built America & Aliens
Gordon Giltrap - Visionary/Fear Of The Dark/Peacock Party

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1455031700' post='2975209']
I guess it all depends on your definition of a concept album.
[/quote]

i think that is a great point. at what point would a theme become a concept? i mean, most albums follow some kind of theme to one level or another. would a concept need to follow or tell some kind of story? personally, when i think of concept albums i think of things that tell a story like The Wall. however i dont think of Wish you were here as one. it has a theme but it didnt immediately jump to mind as a concept album.
i always think of them as being tunes all based around a single idea and written about it rather tightly around it so that all the tunes play against each other coherently. rather than being a group of songs that dont really follow a pattern but are all loosely based on an idea, for example Murder ballads by the bad seeds.
then, if a theme does count as a concept then i would guess that about 80% of my CD's are concept albums and probably another 10% of odd songs are from concept albums so perhaps that is just my favoured kind of music.

i think The rise and fall of ziggy stardust is worth a nod too. i know there is a lot of bowie around at the moment but its still valid in my opinion.

Someone's list of the top 18 concept albums of the 21st century. I've not heard any of it, apart from the title track of American Idiot.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2010/11/the-18-best-concept-albums-of-the-21st-century-so-far.html

Shame they couldn't think of two more and make it a top 20.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1455099641' post='2975784']

Really? What's the story?
[/quote]Thin stuff actually. I know that the first three tracks and the last two were originally written as a single suite a-la Supper's Ready (Tony's idea) but the band decided to split them up with random tracks. There might be a theme with some of the songs but certainly no concept.

This is the one that really comes to mind for me. Jack Lancaster's prog production of Peter and the wolf. Used to play this a lot.

Judging by the list below, he had a rather well connected phone book.

[color=#000000]The Cast:[/color]
[color=#000000]- Narrator / Vivian Stanshall[/color]
[color=#000000]- Peter / Manfred Mann[/color]
[color=#000000]- Bird / Gary Brooker[/color]
[color=#000000]- Duck / Chris Spedding[/color]
[color=#000000]- Duck / Gary Moore[/color]
[color=#000000]- Cat / Stephane Grappelli[/color]
[color=#000000]- Wolf / Brian Eno[/color]
[color=#000000]- Pond / Keith Tippett[/color]
[color=#000000]- Grandfather / Jack Lancaster[/color]
[color=#000000]- Hunters / Jon Hiseman, Bill Bruford, Cozy Powell, Phil Collins[/color]

[color=#000000]Additional Musicians:[/color]
[color=#000000]- John Goodsall, Pete Haywood, Alvin Lee / guitars[/color]
[color=#000000]- Percy Jones, Andy Pyle, Dave Marquee / bass[/color]
[color=#000000]- Robin Lumley / keyboards[/color]
[color=#000000]- Cozy Powell & Phil Collins / drums[/color]
[color=#000000]- Bernie Frost, Julie Tippetts, The English Chorale / vocals[/color]

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1455107986' post='2975923']
Rush - hemispheres ?

[/quote]

Cygnus X-I Part 1 on A Farewell to Kings has it's other half, Part 2 on Hemispheres, but the rest of the latter album is just other random awesomeness, and not a concept album.

[quote name='verb' timestamp='1455059955' post='2975631']
Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters, based on the German airforce buying the Lockheed F104 and Lucky Leif and the Longships, based on the Vikings discovering America first, both by Robert Calvert.
[/quote]

Also "Hype"

Edited by MrCrane

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1455039179' post='2975313']
Marillion - Brave, the story of a young lady found about to throw herself from a bridge , not knowing who she was and why she was there, and told as her back story. Fantastic, moody album.
[/quote]

Plus one from me for this one. I think this was the first Marillion CD I bought, been a fan ever since.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1455109023' post='2975944']
This is the one that really comes to mind for me. Jack Lancaster's prog production of Peter and the wolf. Used to play this a lot.

Judging by the list below, he had a rather well connected phone book.

[color=#000000]The Cast:[/color]
[color=#000000]- Narrator / Vivian Stanshall[/color]
[color=#000000]- Peter / Manfred Mann[/color]
[color=#000000]- Bird / Gary Brooker[/color]
[color=#000000]- Duck / Chris Spedding[/color]
[color=#000000]- Duck / Gary Moore[/color]
[color=#000000]- Cat / Stephane Grappelli[/color]
[color=#000000]- Wolf / Brian Eno[/color]
[color=#000000]- Pond / Keith Tippett[/color]
[color=#000000]- Grandfather / Jack Lancaster[/color]
[color=#000000]- Hunters / Jon Hiseman, Bill Bruford, Cozy Powell, Phil Collins[/color]

[color=#000000]Additional Musicians:[/color]
[color=#000000]- John Goodsall, Pete Haywood, Alvin Lee / guitars[/color]
[color=#000000]- Percy Jones, Andy Pyle, Dave Marquee / bass[/color]
[color=#000000]- Robin Lumley / keyboards[/color]
[color=#000000]- Cozy Powell & Phil Collins / drums[/color]
[color=#000000]- Bernie Frost, Julie Tippetts, The English Chorale / vocals[/color]
[/quote]

I vaguely remember this one. Got most of my fav musicians on it too! I'll have to re visit it.

Sadly all ones I can think of have already been mentioned.

But didn't Jeff Wayne follow up War Of The Worlds with Sparticus? I have no idea whether it's any good or not mind :)

Also Alan Parsons (Alan Parsons Project) did a few concept albums too, I think.

Snow by Spock's Beard is worth listening to.

It's a bit of an overdone story (Young malcontent, cast away by family, takes drugs, befriends a prostitute, becomes famous, nearly dies, finds God) and I think they've padded it out a bit to fit on two discs, but the production is good, the band sound great and it's a bit of fun.

Love Dave Meros by the way. He really does have a distinct style that I've only noticed recently after not having listened to Spock's Beard for a year or two.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1455105120' post='2975860']
Thin stuff actually. I know that the first three tracks and the last two were originally written as a single suite a-la Supper's Ready (Tony's idea) but the band decided to split them up with random tracks. There might be a theme with some of the songs but certainly no concept.
[/quote]

Well, I never said Duke was a great story... ;-) I'd always thought/heard that the other tracks had also been loosely woven about that faded rock star midlife crisis theme/story which bookend the album, with liberal drawing on Collins' messy life of the time. Happy to file under "theme" rather than story, though.

[quote name='Bikenbass' timestamp='1455156608' post='2976578']
Camel, Flight Of The Snow Goose.
[/quote]

Good call, forgot that one. Love that album.

I'll also chuck in Home ( and the NewYork Suite mini album) by Welsh proggers Magenta, Snow by Spock's Beard and with a loose storyline, Clone by Threshold...

Edited by TrevorR