Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for a light, slim neck 5 string please?

lastanthem88

Ok I'm making the change, the wedding band I'm in are doing more and more transposing for the vocalist and could do with some lower register!

Looking to spend anywhere from £300 to £800, as I love my current collection of 4s so much I don't want to lose any, and have just bought another house so not as cash rich as I was...

I like a light bass as gigging two or three times a week and being a slender chap I don't like them too heavy. Also I like a nice slim neck, jaZ style...

Any experienced players want to help?

Thanks!

Thanks all. Coincidentally I bought a Cort cheapo last week, for £180.00 - just as an experiment. For the money it plays incredibly well but wouldn't hold up to to the gigging and the pick ups aren't great (but good for the cash!)

I may look at a more expensive Cort, and lots of people talk about the ibanez stuff!

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1454162167' post='2967079']
Another Ibanez SR fan here. I only have a 505 & a 605, so fairly modest instruments, but still brilliant. Would fit your spec and price range perfectly, but aware that the string spacing (on my two at least) is around 16.5mm (this is an extra plus for me, but not everybody's cup of tea).
[/quote]

Which is the better of the two count bassy? Both string spacing the same? Are you saying for some people it might be a bit tight?

Edited by lastanthem88

I bought a Dingwall NG2 few mths back.
You might pick up a 2nd hand one for your budget (new at £1200)
Very light and neck is a dream to play. I'm used to playing my Jazz mostly and this feels similar altho a 5er.

The fan-fret doesn't make a huge diff and you get used to it very quickly. I swap between basses and its still not an issue for me.

Dave

I had a Yamaha BB5000A that was very lightweight and had a thin neck. When you say thin, do you mean shallow (depth) or narrow (width)? The Yammy was both and sound-personel loved the sound. Always check which neck-width they have before purchase. The earlier ones, like mine, were in fact a relatively broad 4-string neck but strung 5-string (making them really quite narrow). Later ones were a good deal broader.

[quote name='lastanthem88' timestamp='1454162951' post='2967095']
Which is the better of the two count bassy? Both string spacing the same? Are you saying for some people it might be a bit tight?
[/quote]

Yes, same string spacing. The main difference between the colour of the body. The 505 being a mahogany sort of colour and the 605 being a lighter Ash sort od colour. I only bought the 605 because A: I liked the body colour and, B: It was cheap!. (Bought both second hand). The 605 was also a slightly later version so included slightly different electronics, with a Mid Band switch (200Hz or 600Hz I think).

Sound wise, to me the 605 is a little less bright, which suits me just fine. Whether this is the wood or the electronics I don't know, but both have the same strings.
Re the brightness, they both had round wounds when I bought them, and I ended up playing with the treble backed right off. Fitted Status half rounds to both, and love it/them.

Also, on the string spacing it's really just a matter of taste. I like the narrow spacing, and on a five string it stops the neck looking like an ironing board, but I know that other here prefer the more conventional (these days) 18 - 19mm.

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='Luulox' timestamp='1454157670' post='2967022']
I had an ibanez sr1205 and that was a great bass. Ticks all your boxes.
[/quote]
I have gigged my Ibanez Sr 1205 religiously for 4 years now, weddings, pubs, clubs and parties. I can confirm that it fully meets your criteria.

Superb, lightweight, slim necked 5 string. Oh, and it sounds amazing also!