Why become a member? ×

Exotic tone wood you say........fender make cardboard strat.

Wonky2

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1453927247' post='2964394']

Surely, the total tension on a six-string guitar neck is substantially more than the tension on a four string bass neck?
[/quote]

A quick bit of research with the D'Adarrio tension chart shows 6-strings with a .010 top E are about 18 whatevers tension per string while 4-strings .040-.100 average just under 40 whatevers per string so even girlie 4-stringers are about 1.5 times as much total tension while proper manly 5-stringers are almost double. Any more than 5 strings on a bass is pure narcissism so you can do your own arithmetic.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1453926805' post='2964386']
Well, as the YouTube comments rightly say, cardboard and epoxy, meaning it's composite... I would imagine the glue helps with the stiffness somewhat
[/quote]

My thought too - it's still a fun thing for them to have done but it's a shame they didn't mention the extra work they did on the neck off camera (you can see it quite clearly when one of the people are handling it), I'd be interested to hear about that too but I guess it's less impressive than just cardboard.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1453998830' post='2965203']
A quick bit of research with the D'Adarrio tension chart shows 6-strings with a .010 top E are about 18 whatevers tension per string while 4-strings .040-.100 average just under 40 whatevers per string so even girlie 4-stringers are about 1.5 times as much total tension while proper manly 5-stringers are almost double. Any more than 5 strings on a bass is pure narcissism so you can do your own arithmetic.
[/quote]
Yes, I checked there too. Correct.

[quote name='Ashweb' timestamp='1454027890' post='2965695']
I know he doesn't play bass, but one of my favourite artists is Seasick Steve who plays an assortment of unusual guitars such as this one made from two hubcaps, a garden hoe, a spatula and a beer can. Impressive.

[attachment=210910:Seasick Steve.jpg]
[/quote]

But it's tone hoe!

I know a guy who has a lego bass. It has a metal rod in the neck and the pieces are glued together. Basses can be made of almost anything.

On this one they strengthened the cardboard with various resins and glues so it is now stronger than wood.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1454087592' post='2966367']
Masonite's actually good old "hardboard". A pre-MDF particle board, basically thick cardboard made under pressure IIRC.
[/quote]

+1 masonite is a brand name, comes from a Mr Mason, who invented a way of making hardboard cheaply. Company later became [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masonite_International"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masonite_International[/url]
Looks like they make doors now.