Why become a member? ×

'83 Wal Mk 1 for under £2,000 anyone? **SOLD**
£1950

Beedster

Manshed Studio is coming along [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/277091-manshed-studio-build/page__st__30__p__2961092__hl__manshed__fromsearch__1#entry2961092"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2961092[/url] and is focusing my mind as to what I have and need to keep, what I don't have but need to find, and what I have but can probably do without.

My decision in ensuring I can fund things was that I would have one of each of the following; fretted bass, fretless bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, and one double bass (along with a few smaller strings such as mandolin, fiddle, uke and, dare I say it, a banjo). So on this basis, and after some serious deliberation, this 1983 Wal falls into the last category above, i.e., can probably do without. To cut a long story short, whilst it's by far the [i]best[/i] fretless bass I own (having recently let go of a slightly later Mk1 with ebony unlined board), it's not my [i]favourite[/i] fretless, and given I'm going to keep only one, this one's for sale at what is a very very good price considering what it is. That is, a vintage Wal with a completely new Wal PUPs and electronics, the work having been done by Paul last year. My intention was to refret it, but ultimately I think I'd still end up moving it on one day.

OK, it's the one on the right below. It looks fretted but isn't.

[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/2015-10-24%2011.07.03_zpsbut5afap.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_5555_zpsm4lxglvt.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_5552_zpszqfg9zyb.jpg.html"][/url]

If you're interested, please read the background to the bass in the thread here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/224386-waljazz-mongrel/page__st__90."]http://basschat.co.u...l/page__st__90.[/url]

The asking price is about £350 less than it owes me in total, and whilst it's never going to be an all original vintage instrument (it was of course originally fretted), the price tag is more than justified by two things. Firstly it's an authentic Wal, with elements of old and new, and of course these days there no such thing as a budget Wal. Second, it's also a bloody good example of a Wal, as those who've played will no doubt attest. Even when compared with other Wals it has a subtle but tangible warmth and substance to the tone, perhaps as the result of the rosewood board (others I've owned/played have all been ebony)

Anyway, I will take more photos tomorrow, having finally made the decision today that it has to go I wanted to start the process ASAP. I'll also be listing five project basses that haven't made the cut over the next couple of days.

No trades on this please, I've spent a lot of money on studio-related gear this week and will need to re-fund so to speak.

Thanks for looking

Chris

Edited by Beedster

Why does every For Sale thread include a question about weight? They are basses... we are tough, they are heavy. 4kg or 5kg or 6kg... come on... if you want a light instrument, buy a flute. It's beautiful and a bargain. If I hadn't just placed an order for a new bass I would buy it.

[quote name='OutSpoon' timestamp='1453663875' post='2961570']
Why does every For Sale thread include a question about weight? They are basses... we are tough, they are heavy. 4kg or 5kg or 6kg... come on... if you want a light instrument, buy a flute. It's beautiful and a bargain. If I hadn't just placed an order for a new bass I would buy it.
[/quote]

Agreed... My S2 Alembic was nearly a stone and balanced beautifully - didn't feel the weight at all

[/quote]

Once had a Fender Precision that weighed 16lbs, I s**t ye not. Weighed more than 10 bags of flutes...

Gobsmacked to see this up FS. This was mine for over a year, I had it restored to original spec by Electric Wood (Wal) and can supply the buyer with the invoice for the work done (£1300 worth!), which they did to their usual fabulous standard.

Technically not totally original, though on the other hand it's golden era mid-80's Wal - I was told the handwriting on the control panel label was Pete's - but with the benefit of brand new p/ups and preamp, and 100% of the work has been done by Wal. I've played a good few Mk 1 Customs and this is in all honesty far and away the nicest playing and sounding. Can't say I remember it being particularly heavy, though no Wals are light.

Only moved it on to Chris as I had the chance on a 1914 Gibson F4 mandolin, that I'd have done anything short of murder to acquire ....

I'd predict fairly confidently that this is likely to be the last reasonably priced Wal that we'll see FS anywhere, and I'm currently counting my pennies to see if I can buy it back! :)

Edited by Shaggy

Still here? I'd have it - if I didn't already own the other one! :D Honestly if I had any money left over I would buy it just so that nobody else could have it.

For the few that don't know him, Beedster is a gent and a BC legend. Buy with confidence. And don't dawdle! Just pull the trigger...

[/quote]

I hope you never have the chronic back problems I suffer with (several slipped discs and spinal stenosis, which cause me crippling problems on a daily basis, have on occasion come close to curtailing my playing entirely, and eventually will do exactly that). Or do I? No, come to think of it, let's hope you do......

Now I remember why I don't tend to bother with Basschat anymore.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1453672207' post='2961707']

I hope you never have the chronic back problems I suffer with (several slipped discs and spinal stenosis, which cause me crippling problems on a daily basis, have on occasion come close to curtailing my playing entirely, and eventually will do exactly that). Or do I? No, come to think of it, let's hope you do......

Now I remember why I don't tend to bother with Basschat anymore.
[/quote]

No need at all for that. I for one am pretty glad you don't bother with basschat much

[quote name='lapolpora' timestamp='1453669379' post='2961655']

For the few that don't know him, Beedster is a gent and a BC legend. Buy with confidence. And don't dawdle! Just pull the trigger...
[/quote]

+1

As I said earlier today on his Ampeg for sale thread, Chris is too generous for his own good. And here he is again, proving that fact even more vociferously..

Can only echo and underline what's already been said about Chris, he is a true gent and a Basschat legend.

He also really knows his stuff, so any piece of bass gear passing through his hands will be absolutely top draw.

And this very lovely Wal will be no exception!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1453676096' post='2961778']
+1

As I said earlier today on his Ampeg for sale thread, Chris is too generous for his own good. And here he is again, proving that fact even more vociferously..

Can only echo and underline what's already been said about Chris, he is a true gent and a Basschat legend.

He also really knows his stuff, so any piece of bass gear passing through his hands will be absolutely top draw.

And this very lovely Wal will be no exception!
[/quote]

Nik, that's really kind of you mate. Bottom line is that BC gives us all the opportunity to try, own, and trade in gear that otherwise many of us would never have had the chance to own, and whilst I buy and sell a lot, it's always with that in mind. If I have good gear, it's because I've bought it from other guys on here with equally good taste and expertise. I grew up in the '70s, and it took months to save enough cash to buy an awful Satellite Precision copy. I used to dream of Fenders and Musicmans until Mick Karn came along with a sound and vibe so extraordinary that the Wal thing haunted me until I had anough cash to buy one about 30 years later. Having owned the two I've had recently has been a real pleasure, almost an honour given their history and provenance, but deep down with a move to recording over live work, I just prefer good old fashioned passive single PUP instruments.

But I will miss it :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1453676809' post='2961786']

Nik, that's really kind of you mate. Bottom line is that BC gives us all the opportunity to try, own, and trade in gear that otherwise many of us would never have had the chance to own, and whilst I buy and sell a lot, it's always with that in mind. If I have good gear, it's because I've bought it from other guys on here with equally good taste and expertise. I grew up in the '70s, and it took months to save enough cash to buy an awful Satellite Precision copy. I used to dream of Fenders and Musicmans until Mick Karn came along with a sound and vibe so extraordinary that the Wal thing haunted me until I had anough cash to buy one about 30 years later. Having owned the two I've had recently has been a real pleasure, almost an honour given their history and provenance, but deep down with a move to recording over live work, I just prefer good old fashioned passive single PUP instruments.

But I will miss it :)
[/quote]

Very true Chris; Basschat is a kind of Alladin's Cave for gear, especially basses!

I've done pretty much the same thing as you and gone back to simpler, passive basses in recent years. Spent most of last year using a Yamaha BB300 that cost me peanuts in comparison to most of the basses I've bought and sold here on BC. But I really enjoyed playing it and it sounded great.

That said, this Wal looks an absolute beauty and it is tugging on a few heartstrings...