Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Microtubes Head

Daz39

Wow.

45 minutes in and this unit is blowing me away. Neighbours are out as well so a bit of volume was possible through the Berg too.

Funny that the initial thing that impressed me out of the box for me was the foot switch! I was expecting quite a light metal box due to the size, but its got a good bit of weight to it! Very solid indeed. The amp looks stunning, and again has a bit more weight than I expected. It oozes quality in a way I haven't really experienced in a bass head before. An Apple computer perhaps, but not bass gear ;)

It sounds so MASSIVE (I will not use that H word), its really difficult to explain why. The EQ is superb, this will be the first amp I won't run flat in quite a while. The flat sound of this head couldn't be further from the stereotypical Darkglass sound, very clean and surprisingly warm. However, with a bit of mids manipulation it sounds absolutely killer, punchier than anything but still crystal clear. The gain knob has fantastic range to it, none of this horrible overdriven preamp sound you get with a lot of solid state units, it just seems to break up nicely..up to a point :). The Microtubes engine is as I expected, fan-bloody-tastic, but the Tone knob is a very cool addition. The circuits differ from the pedals in that they lack the Attack and Grunt switches, the tone knob mainly deals with the Attack, purely off my interpretation of it I would guess the Grunt is hardwired to the Fat setting on the pedals, but it could be Raw.

The head that has made way for this, Tecamp Puma, was superb but this has something else going on that I cannot wait to explore at proper volume.

And I have to wait until Monday before I can rehearse with the band :(

[quote name='markorbit' timestamp='1476393280' post='3153999']
Can you get these things smooth, velvety and furry like a B15 at optimum volume or are they always 'metalised' when you engage the microtubes? Darkglass seem to attract aggressive players who want a sound with attitude on most videos I see.
[/quote]

Thats the problem, Microtubes circuits have a reputation of just being for aggressive sounds and styles. Reality is, even the B*K circuit can sound warm and gritty if you use it right. The Vintage circuit though, it was primarily designed to get tones like you describe, but again people tend to demo its more aggressive nature.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1476394462' post='3154023']
Thats the problem, Microtubes circuits have a reputation of just being for aggressive sounds and styles. Reality is, even the B*K circuit can sound warm and gritty if you use it right. The Vintage circuit though, it was primarily designed to get tones like you describe, but again people tend to demo its more aggressive nature.
[/quote]

That's what I was thinking/hoping! Thanks.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1476426158' post='3154112']
The VMT with the gain low is lovely.

It has a warmth to it while staying clean.
[/quote]
I must try that. Warmth suits this old man.

Regarding the discussion on power handling, for my needs I would rather think of it as good thermal management. At the power levels where I will use this amp, it is going to stay cool and should have a long and reliable gig life.

Here's mine sitting on top of my Vanderkley MNT210. It all sounds glorious with my Wal. Note how low the master volume is and that's with the amp set at 2ohms.

[url="https://flic.kr/p/N8RoqQ"][/url][url="https://flic.kr/p/N8RoqQ"]IMG_1499[/url] by [url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/133023872@N03/"]John Robertson[/url], on Flickr

I've just watched a demo online - a guy called Patrick Hunter:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6M26dHCn5E[/media]

- it certainly ticks my boxes tonally and from the strength of this video, it reminds me of the Tech 21 Dug Pinnick head.

The only thing that worries me now are that for some time (years!) I've had my ideal tone in my head and after a lot of trial and error, I'm finally happy. I can replicate my sound with any of my basses, but now this drops, I'm looking at my rack and floorboard and I'm thinking, 'Hmmm. I can get rid of that. And that. Maybe that too.'

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='Darkglass' timestamp='1474395574' post='3137703']
Hey guys! Thanks for all the interest and questions. It's been a hectic year to say the least, with the last 8 weeks being borderline insane, I love it, but am also constantly running around helping out the different teams regarding the amplifier, from manufacturing, to logistics, marketing and strategy.

Keep posting your questions, I'm super grateful for all the interest and curiosity, I'll make sure to pop by as soon as my schedule allows and answer some of them!

Now time for some dinner, hit the sack, tomorrow will be a big day!

Doug.
[/quote]

Great to see you hear Doug! Looking forward to trying out this one. The Vintage Ultra is a superb pedal so the amp head is on the 'to do' list :)

cant wait to read a review from gigging conditions and also i'd love a comparison against some of the big old boy SS / Valve amps. Darkglass say this amp is a no compromise amplifier so my fingers are crossed it stacks u well. Not used a class d that even compares to my SVT as of yet so lets see if this comes close.

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1476458765' post='3154547']
cant wait to read a review from gigging conditions and also i'd love a comparison against some of the big old boy SS / Valve amps. Darkglass say this amp is a no compromise amplifier so my fingers are crossed it stacks u well. Not used a class d that even compares to my SVT as of yet so lets see if this comes close.
[/quote] Dito, i am getting some major gas for this ......but boy do i love my svt.

Edited by danbowskill

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1476454830' post='3154496']
Right chaps.... Anyone know of a good bag that will fit it properly?
[/quote]
I have a Gator G-MIX-B 1212 and it fits in that with a bit of space to spare. 1212 means the bag is 12" x 12". The depth is about right at just under 3". This might not be what you mean by "fit properly", though. The only problem I have with the Gator bags is that the cable pocket is a bit small. It will take one or two short Speakon cables but that is about it.

Edited by DBerriff

I know a lot of the sound from that clip is due to strings/pickups but man, this amp sounds nice. The start of the clip is pretty much the tone I use with my Tonehammer & Sansamp. If I were in the market for a new amp I`d be GASSING severely for one of these, but as all I`d do is get the sound I currently use there`s little point. Additionally, what strings were they, I`ve never seen an E string flap so much, it was flappier than a flappy thing.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1476526317' post='3154957']
I know a lot of the sound from that clip is due to strings/pickups but man, this amp sounds nice. The start of the clip is pretty much the tone I use with my Tonehammer & Sansamp. If I were in the market for a new amp I`d be GASSING severely for one of these, but as all I`d do is get the sound I currently use there`s little point. Additionally, what strings were they, I`ve never seen an E string flap so much, it was flappier than a flappy thing.
[/quote]

Talking about that Patrick video? I've wondered too why it's so flappy! Lovely colour jazz too.