Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Microtubes Head

Daz39

[quote name='Daz39' timestamp='1474632722' post='3139425']
Dim question - 900w @4ohm, but only one speaker output - so you couldn't get 2 8 ohm cabs into it? It would need to be one decent rated cab to make use of that power?
[/quote]

There are (and have been) quite a few heads rated roughly 400-500W into 8ohm, 800-900W into 4ohm. As long as one cab has two sockets connected in parallel, then as deanovw says, you can daisy-chain two 8ohm cabs to give a 4ohm load.

Most cabs I have seen and owned have a parallel output jack.

Also, using the 2 Ohm mode will put out 500W at 4 Ohms (350W at 8) so there is a lot of flexibility on the power amp section as well (all this is in the [url="http://darkglass.com/app/uploads/2016/09/Manual-M900.pdf"]manual[/url] by the way).

Nice weekend everyone!

I still can't believe how cheap Darkglass have released this head at, that Andertons price is stonking. Bear in mind this practically has a Vintage Ultra and B7K Ultra built in, and they are pedals costing £325 a piece alone. Then add the power module, the fact they are handbuilt in Finland and the engineering that has gone intro producing this unit. Bravo Doug and the team! The english price is fair compared to the US price I imagine primarily because, unlike a lot of the competition, this unit of course is not built in the US.

For fans of the Darkglass drive pedals, utter bargain. For non-Darkglass fans, I imagine this will just be fair competition against Eich/Tecamp/Mesa and the other higher end Class D heads. It does have that power amp flexibility a lot of others don't. Cheaper than the Mesa, a tiny bit more than the Eich, and love it or hate it the Mircrotubes engine makes for a very flexible preamp in comparison.

Owning both the Ultra pedals and a Tecamp head I'm very happy with, I can't see how I can justify this without selling basically everything I use at the moment, bar basses and cabs. I admit to being disappointed with the addition of a fan (love that the Puma only has very silent ones that are hardly ever on, and it never feels close to overheating), but that foot switch has to make up for it, surely? :)

Edited by Kev

I've just watched the pro mo vid. It looks very well built and sounds great. I'm very interested in this head but need to see/hear more samples of the various sounds it can put out. Hard attacking finger style please with crunch, please.

If it needs a fan then so be it. I won't hear it when playing live, it's a 900w head rammed full of distortion for stage use... it's not a bedroom toy.

I think I want one.

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1474713974' post='3140005']
I've just watched the pro mo vid. It looks very well built and sounds great. I'm very interested in this head but need to see/hear more samples of the various sounds it can put out. Hard attacking finger style please with crunch, please.

If it needs a fan then so be it. I won't hear it when playing live, it's a 900w head rammed full of distortion for stage use...[b] it's not a bedroom toy.[/b]

I think I want one.
[/quote]
I would imagine the concern about the fan is more about mic'd recording or perhaps reliability. Well, thats mine anyway :)

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1474713974' post='3140005']If it needs a fan then so be it. I won't hear it when playing live, it's a 900w head rammed full of distortion for stage use... it's not a bedroom toy.
[/quote]

There's no reason why a well designed amp cannot be both. If at bedroom practice levels the fan doesn't kick in, or just kicks in very quietly, no problem. But if an amp uses a cheap noisy fan that has no intelligent speed control, then it hasn't been engineered very well, and I don't see why I should splash out on one amp for stage and a separate one for home/studio.

I'd expect the cooling system to be well designed in this one though!

Thanks for the info - my question was genuine (for a change) rather than a complaint. I am very taken with the idea of the amp, and was just considering cab options. As it happens I would probably only ever get one cab: but this way I could get two 8 or 4 Ohm cabs, and the DG amp would still cope.

*goes to check Maths on 1x 8 & 1x 4 Ohm cab...

[quote name='Daz39' timestamp='1474891566' post='3141246']
Thanks for the info - my question was genuine (for a change) rather than a complaint. I am very taken with the idea of the amp, and was just considering cab options. As it happens I would probably only ever get one cab: but this way I could get two 8 or 4 Ohm cabs, and the DG amp would still cope.

*goes to check Maths on 1x 8 & 1x 4 Ohm cab...
[/quote]

The formula is, in this case 8*4/(8+4)=32/12=2,67.

Here's a free calculator http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-paralresist.htm.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1474892610' post='3141264']
It's one of the best looking amps I've seen.
[/quote]

Thank you!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1474966479' post='3141813']
New demo up with 3 different players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr4V7IX3bzQ

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr4V7IX3bzQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr4V7IX3bzQ[/url]
[/quote]

Its a shame demo vids can't fully portray the amp in question. I'm sure the amp sounds better in life so to say.
To me I find it hard to judge an amp on a YouTube vid even with decent headphones etc

GAS overhwhelmed me, that together with the fact that if I sold one of my Darkglass Ultra pedals and my current amp I would have more than enough to buy one of these, which effectively has [i]both [/i]of the Ultra pedals built in. I wouldn't have considered it had it been the price I expected it to be, however at £769 it is an absolute steal compared to its competitors in my opinion. The only disadvantage (compared to my current Class D amp) I can see it has is a lack of Aux in and headphone jacks. Outside the bedroom, not so much of an issue, but I do occasionally use my current amp for late night practice in this way. The microtubes engine makes up for it :)

Hopefully in a week or so it will be in my hands, expect a full review! :)