Why become a member? ×

Am I being silly?

vmaxblues

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1453542588' post='2960373']
Blue?

Whats a car note, and why don't you carry one?

Sorry, just a bit confused.
[/quote]

In the USA it's common for people to get a car on finance when young and just keep renewing it,much like we have mortgages for houses.....that's why you see a lot of young "kids" driving newish cars. I am guessing Blue means that he owns his car outright.

I say , ask him how much he would pay for five plumbers to come out on a Saturday night! People don't seem to realise the work involved, plus the personal expense. Functions are notoriously hard to play especially as some folk feel you are their captive band and you have to do their bidding without argument. 400 quid sounds reasonable to me, but if you charge 200 for a pub, then maybe go for 250-300

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1453543333' post='2960382']
I say , ask him how much he would pay for five plumbers to come out on a Saturday night! People don't seem to realise the work involved, plus the personal expense. Functions are notoriously hard to play especially as some folk feel you are their captive band and you have to do their bidding without argument. 400 quid sounds reasonable to me, but if you charge 200 for a pub, then maybe go for 250-300
[/quote]

Although the plumbers wouldn't have done the pub gig for that rate either!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1453543333' post='2960382']
[/quote]

Depends what you're getting in return. I've fixed loads of my friends electrics for free.

The whole payment thing hinges on how much inconvinience you're going through so that someone else can enjoy themselves.

Pub gigs? If you enjoy playing, you turn up, people enjoy it, there's a lot of benefit in kind going on where there's little or no real financial cost.

Although today, I've had to go to work at last minute notice, tonight I'm playing a gig. I'll earn all night what I earned just driving into work, before I have even had to use my brain. There's no way a pub could pay me my Saturday day rates. However, tonight's gig has meant I'm a bit more stressed doing the job I get paid for. I was concious that I could possibly be there all day and not make the gig!

Now if I was doing a wedding gig, there's no way I could have done my day job and would have lost A LOT of money doing it for mates rates.

One of the reasons I don't do weddings. Too many close calls. Getting up at 6am, getting stuck at work and then rushing to a gig and getting into bed at 3am.

That's not bragging ;)

I don't think I'm taking money from professional musicians either.

The other thing is to quote your fee and leave it with them.
If they think they can get a party or wedding band for a fee that is significantly lower
than yours, I say, go ahead and see what you get.

Weddings are weddings.... the brides dress costs god knows want... as do all the other things
that make it a special day, and you want to pay £600 for the band..????

OK, ..your call.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1453546398' post='2960400']
I have a price list in my head.

I don't do mates rates

I charged my own cousin full price for a do in December.

[/quote]

Exactly, because it's your cousin, not the bands. If you did mates rates, they might be cheesed off as he ain't no mate of theirs!

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1453294207' post='2958130']
It all depends on what extras you would need to be doing outside of a pub gig like arrival time, performing times etc

We get £200-£250 for pub gigs but we always take lighting, play music in between sets and play for 2 x 60 mins. £400 does seem a bit high to me unless you are providing and actual disco too rather than just backing music.
Tell him you will do it for £200 but he needs to get a dj to fill in between your sets
[/quote]

£400 is below what we charge pubs....

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1453563734' post='2960618']

£400 is below what we charge pubs....
[/quote]

You're doing well to get £400 from pubs. Most pubs don't pay much more than £250 unless they sell tickets.
Like I said though in other posts I'm not in it for the money anymore. We are playing a great pub tonight that gets packed solid with singing and dancing punters.

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1453542834' post='2960377']

In the USA it's common for people to get a car on finance when young and just keep renewing it,much like we have mortgages for houses.....that's why you see a lot of young "kids" driving newish cars. I am guessing Blue means that he owns his car outright.[/quote]

Correct

Blue

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1453546398' post='2960400']
I have a price list in my head.

I don't do mates rates, and when any other member of the band suggests it - they get hit with the naughty stick.

I charged my own cousin full price for a do in December.

If you bend the rules once? You never stop.[/quote]

Andy, I like where your heads at. It's business.

We always Bill out private parties at a higher rate. That goes for friends as well.

We're not in the business of discounting our services.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453574451' post='2960735']
The pub owners will be happy to hear that.

Blue
[/quote]

Maybe, but Bonzodog intimated that the pubs he does play pay around £250 (about $380) but he plays 1.5 hours all in , you play for 3hrs, at an hourly rate the pub pays more than some of your bars .

bonzodog gets $190/hour for his pub fee , for yours you get $133/hour for your bar fee :D

I guess the bar owners are happy about that ;)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1453561766' post='2960577']

Depends what you're getting in return. I've fixed loads of my friends electrics for free.

The whole payment thing hinges on how much inconvinience you're going through so that someone else can enjoy themselves.

Pub gigs? If you enjoy playing, you turn up, people enjoy it, there's a lot of benefit in kind going on where there's little or no real financial cost.

Although today, I've had to go to work at last minute notice, tonight I'm playing a gig. I'll earn all night what I earned just driving into work, before I have even had to use my brain. There's no way a pub could pay me my Saturday day rates. However, tonight's gig has meant I'm a bit more stressed doing the job I get paid for. I was concious that I could possibly be there all day and not make the gig!

Now if I was doing a wedding gig, there's no way I could have done my day job and would have lost A LOT of money doing it for mates rates.

One of the reasons I don't do weddings. Too many close calls. Getting up at 6am, getting stuck at work and then rushing to a gig and getting into bed at 3am.

That's not bragging ;)

I don't think I'm taking money from professional musicians either.
[/quote]

The inevitable follow-on question... What do you do for a living, and,
are there any jobs going?

😊

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1453575431' post='2960749']

Maybe, but Bonzodog intimated that the pubs he does play pay around £250 (about $380) but he plays 1.5 hours all in , you play for 3hrs, at an hourly rate the pub pays more than some of your bars .

bonzodog gets $190/hour for his pub fee , for yours you get $133/hour for your bar fee :D

I guess the bar owners are happy about that ;)
[/quote]

I don't think your figures are accurate.

Blue

[quote name='vmaxblues' timestamp='1453293738' post='2958122']
So, we are being asked to a 40th Birthday Party, all good so far, he is an acquaintance of two of the band, and he has asked for a price for the evening, I suggested £400 as a mates rate, silence, he has come back with...

'I was thinking £200, as when I spoke to your guitarist the other night he said you charge around £200 for pubs'

This makes my blood boil for all the obvious reasons and it looks like the others in the band don't really recognise my opinion that this is taking the p**s.

They are keen to do it and see it as a paid rehearsal! I have said if we are doing it at pub rates it must be treated as such, i.e turn up at 7.00, set up, do two sets of 45 mins, pack up go home. No extra sets, no lights, backing music etc and definately no setting up at 12.00pm.

Am I being silly?
[/quote]

No you're not being silly. You band's reputation proceeds you. The gall of a commoner to offer you such a reduced price for your services! It's unheard of. Off with his head, of course.

There is another angle. And one I've been caught with.

Where the guitarist has been chatting to his mate and found out it's his 40th and he is having a party. Asks what he is doing about music and suggested that as he plays in a band, he could play at the party instead of getting a disco in.

Up to that point the mate was just going to take his stereo in and play a 'mixtape'/iPod playlist that he'd made.

Luckily you don't have to provide any music during the break as this 'mixtape' will be used.

Unfortunately said 'mixtape' will consist entirely of the mates' favourite tunes from the late 80s and the band will get continually hassled by random guests during their break to put on some decent music as it is automatically assumed it's their mixtape. :D

Although this has only actually happened to me a handful of times.

When the drunken host is trying to pull people out of their seats to dance to chas'n'dave on repeat play you kind of give up on humanity.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1453649344' post='2961367']

Unfortunately said 'mixtape' will consist entirely of the mates' favourite tunes from the late 80s and the band will get continually hassled by random guests during their break to put on some decent music as it is automatically assumed it's their mixtape. :D

[/quote]

This happened to us once. We did a 50th and the guy asked us to play some background music inbetween our sets. Knowing what he liked I compiled a 45 min selection of ska songs which complemented our Mod and Northern soul stuff.
Only problem is people carried on dancing to the back ground music on the dance floor and I had left lots of gaps inbetween songs as I never thought to mix it properly. Cue lots of people standing around on dance floor waiting for next song to kick in.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1453651232' post='2961397']

This happened to us once. We did a 50th and the guy asked us to play some background music inbetween our sets. Knowing what he liked I compiled a 45 min selection of ska songs which complemented our Mod and Northern soul stuff.
Only problem is people carried on dancing to the back ground music on the dance floor and I had left lots of gaps inbetween songs as I never thought to mix it properly. Cue lots of people standing around on dance floor waiting for next song to kick in.
[/quote]

Something to learn from this.

You don't need to rush into the next song to keep people up and dancing. If they're in the mood to dance. If they've had enough; they'll sit down.

It gives the band and the dancers a slight break. Slight being the operative word ;)

Just because the floor clears once doesn't mean you should drop a song from your set.

Personally, I would do it and have a laugh. It's a celebration after all. I would however, expect the same in return (from the band members). If I felt the favour would not be returned, I would think about joining another band...

Edited by itsmedunc

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1453653704' post='2961426']

Something to learn from this.

You don't need to rush into the next song to keep people up and dancing. If they're in the mood to dance. If they've had enough; they'll sit down.

It gives the band and the dancers a slight break. Slight being the operative word ;)

Just because the floor clears once doesn't mean you should drop a song from your set.
[/quote]

This is one of my pet hates when we play, especially at a function. I want to get right into the next number quickly , as audiences want to keep dancing and don't like to be left standing for too long. Our guitarist takes bloody ages with his obsessive tuning or changing of settings. He tells me to give some patter to them, as I'm also the singist, but A, I am not particularly good at rock star crowd pleasing or jokes, and secondly find that when you have vocal effects set for singing, you generally can't make out what people are saying anyway! The drummer and myself are left cheesed off as people start going back to their seats.
We did I gig a while back and we heard people were saying" they were good but took too long between songs"