Why become a member? ×

Am I being silly?

vmaxblues

I generally put songs into groups of four which all link into each other and those are played back to back. Pausing is allowed between each quartet when the singer does some interaction. I confess that I am not very patient with band mates who can't keep their instruments in tune, pointing out that [insert favourite band here] don't spend ages faffing around between songs.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1453816983' post='2963017']
we heard people were saying" they were good but took too long between songs"
[/quote]

Then again, people can be extremely wrong, can't they? After a Philip Glass concert once, I heard people were saying
"That was all a bit repetitive,wasn't it?"
:D

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1453828278' post='2963208']
Whereas, if I was leaving a Philip Glass concert, I would be saying “Thank God that's over.” :ph34r:

[/quote]

:)

Our guitard has obsessive compulsive whatsitsname, there's no way he is out of tune in one song and even if he was, it would be so slight that it would be unnoticeable. No, he just has these routines he has to complete or the world will blow up or something. It's infuriating. One small grace is the smoking ban. He used to have a draw on a fag after tuning, recheck tuning, have a drink out his pint, have a draw on the fag, play the first few bars of the next song, have a draw on his fag then turn to me and say, right, what are we doing next? Aaaaargh!!!!

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1453847475' post='2963494']
I was only thinking 10-15 seconds max.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's an acceptable time, but when you are dabbling into the one minute or even possibly longer, it starts to get ridiculous

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1453835101' post='2963295']

:)

Our guitard has obsessive compulsive whatsitsname, there's no way he is out of tune in one song and even if he was, it would be so slight that it would be unnoticeable. No, he just has these routines he has to complete or the world will blow up or something. It's infuriating. One small grace is the smoking ban. He used to have a draw on a fag after tuning, recheck tuning, have a drink out his pint, have a draw on the fag, play the first few bars of the next song, have a draw on his fag then turn to me and say, right, what are we doing next? Aaaaargh!!!!
[/quote]
Long breaks between songs for no apparent reason make a band look like amateurs. Doesn't matter if you're just starting out or been doing this 30 years.

Sounds like he has OCD to be honest; doing things in a particular order, constant rechecking of tuning. I would make sure everyone had a setlist so to know what's coming up and bash straight into the next song. If he moans about it, tell him you didn't enjoy the punters saying get on with it!

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1454236322' post='2967653']

Long breaks between songs for no apparent reason make a band look like amateurs. Doesn't matter if you're just starting out or been doing this 30 years.

Sounds like he has OCD to be honest; doing things in a particular order, constant rechecking of tuning. I would make sure everyone had a setlist so to know what's coming up and bash straight into the next song. If he moans about it, tell him you didn't enjoy the punters saying get on with it!
[/quote]

Following a set list also cuts down on time in between songs.

Blue

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1453835101' post='2963295']
Our guitard has obsessive compulsive whatsitsname, there's no way he is out of tune in one song and even if he was, it would be so slight that it would be unnoticeable. No, he just has these routines he has to complete or the world will blow up or something. It's infuriating.
[/quote]

When I went to see The Who a couple of years ago at the NIA, the support band's bassist after every song played his open strings "bink bank bonk bunk" for no apparent reason. Unless it was to make sure he'd still got all four strings, I suppose.

We all have set lists, but he can't read his and won't wear his glasses on stage, so asks all night what's next, once he is told he changes on to whatever sound he needs, then plays a few bars of the song to check he remembers it, thus giving away what's coming next. He is actually a very good player, it's this ocd that winds me up!

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1454281935' post='2968286']
When I went to see The Who a couple of years ago at the NIA, the support band's bassist after every song played his open strings "bink bank bonk bunk" for no apparent reason. Unless it was to make sure he'd still got all four strings, I suppose.
[/quote]
That's being nervous. You finish a song and don't know how the crowd will react so feel the need to make noise to cover up any possible silence. Unprofessional IMO.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1454314338' post='2968399']
We all have set lists, but he can't read his and won't wear his glasses on stage, so asks all night what's next, once he is told he changes on to whatever sound he needs, then plays a few bars of the song to check he remembers it, thus giving away what's coming next. He is actually a very good player, it's this ocd that winds me up!
[/quote]
Tell him to wear contacts then... just pure lazy attitude. Don't tell him - eventually he might change his ways but won't any time soon if you keep telling him. Sounds like he needs more practice too.

My band are doing a free gig i March. Its a small pub in East Finchley. Its not a party or special night, and we asked for the gig.

This will be the first non paying gig ive done in about 20+ years.

Why are we doing it? Because it looks like fun (half my band also play there occasionally, for free). It will be a nice relaxed break from the functions and socail clubs, and im looking forward to playing Mustang Sally to an appreciative, mainly female crowd. We will take all our gear, and give them the same performence as if we were getting paid. We might get a gig or two out of it but thats not really the reason for doing it.

I suppose the point of this post is just to say not everyone does it for the money, or thinks entertaining people for less than the going rate should be ruled out.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1454314338' post='2968399']
[/quote]

He might be a good player, but he doesn't sound like a good band member.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1454281935' post='2968286']

[/quote]

Oh dear, I think I do this all the time! :-0
Not at the NIA though, ha ha :-)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1454339363' post='2968699']
He might be a good player, but he doesn't sound like a good band member.
[/quote]

He wont recognise where he needs to up his game in some respects...which is always
a bad sign..

No wonder he is wearing the patience a bit thin

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1455971486' post='2984085']
Trouble is, he is also my longest serving mate. Not really on the cards to chuck him out :(
[/quote]

I left 'my' band in the end as the co-founder of 10years was just getting worse. He was convinced it was everyone else.

If the audience are complaining and you're not building a following because of him then you either get rid of him or you leave. Or you just put up with being in a band that's going nowhere.

'My' band is still going but they beg for gigs and don't get repeat bookings. They seem to be happy.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453343138' post='2958647']
No offense but playing for free does not seem like a benefit to me.

So your band gives away all of time and effort you've invested in learning a craft, travel expense, and providing sound and lights, tear down and set up?

If yes,if I ever need a band I'm calling you.

Blue
[/quote]
It's called "doing it purely for the fun of it, not for a living". When it's just a hobby, freebie/matesrates gigs aren't such an issue.
And just to head the inevitable off at the pass: no, I'm NOT suggesting that doing it for a living can't be fun too.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1455986279' post='2984317']

It's called "doing it purely for the fun of it, not for a living". When it's just a hobby, freebie/matesrates gigs aren't such an issue.
And just to head the inevitable off at the pass: no, I'm NOT suggesting that doing it for a living can't be fun too.
[/quote]

Agreed. Why should having fun always be about the money. Don't people have hobbies that don't make them any money? Of course they do. For example, should we expect people who like a kick about over the park at the weekends only do it if they get paid?

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1455975456' post='2984133']
I left 'my' band in the end as the co-founder of 10years was just getting worse. He was convinced it was everyone else.

If the audience are complaining and you're not building a following because of him then you either get rid of him or you leave. Or you just put up with being in a band that's going nowhere.

'My' band is still going but they beg for gigs and don't get repeat bookings. They seem to be happy.

[/quote]

I wonder if that's the band I auditioned for a few years back in Buntingford. It was quite a weird audition, with the drummer throwing up in a bin behind his kit. :blink: I didn't get the gig.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1455989669' post='2984366']

I wonder if that's the band I auditioned for a few years back in Buntingford. It was quite a weird audition, with the drummer throwing up in a bin behind his kit. :blink: I didn't get the gig.
[/quote]

Ha no. I'm playing with them now. :D
He's a really good drummer and an all round nice guy. He remembers that night.

This was a band a long time ago now. :)

We're a pub band, so you get a pub set whatever, so see little distinction between parties and pubs price wise. Consequently we recently did a 50th for one of the drummers mates, £200. Great night in a cracking venue with good people, he gave us extra £50, food and drinks all night.
Roll on a couple of months and they had such a good night last time they've arranged another bash for a few other birthdays, back at the same place and have said we can invite any of our mates too.
Plugging in an mp3 and leaving the lights running is no big deal to fill the breaks etc.

I get that the time and professionalism required of function bands ups the price for weddings etc but personally I wouldn't charge more for a party than a pub if we're basically doing the same thing.