Why become a member? ×

Audition Woes- I keep bottling it

CyberBass

I've been playing for many years and would say I'm an average self taught player. I have only ever played in originals bands, some signed some not.
Apart from playing in an iggy and the stooges tribute band for a couple of years about a decade ago. Here is my problem, I haven't played with a band since I did a tour last April. My playing style is mainly plectrum and finger.
I am struggling in the area to find another originals band, which may be partly down to age and also lack of originals bands in Northamptonshire.
I started recently to advertise on join my band and have had a number of covers/functions bands approach me but every time I get set list I struggle with some tracks so end up doubting my ability and bottle it. It's getting me right down.
I've agreed with one band to rehearse next Monday they gave me set list and said pick some tracks and let us know which ones in advance.
I am already in my head worrying, which is mad because I've been playing for so many years. Has this affected any of you fellow bassists and how have you over come it? When playing a cover to you play note for note accuracy or your take of the song? Any tips or advice welcome and appreciated.

I have a similar background to you (self taught) and am in a long running covers band (though I got in at the beginning). My advice is to take a deep breath and go for it. Just to learn what you can, as well as you can. The rest will come. Even if you get turned down (and you will more likely not be) treat it as experience and confidence gained.

My mantra is: "I am a better player than I think I am, I am my own worst critic".

Edit: on the subject of learning songs: yes, learn them as accurately as you can but don't go nuts: no one knows or cares if it's exactly the same. There are certain basslines that are very well recognised and you will have to learn the key bits exactly but the rest just has to sound right. A good example of this is Maggie May by Rod Stewart.

Get yourself a phrase trainer to help you. I've got a old Korg Pandora that records and plays back about 8 seconds of songs for me and I can slow them down and 'hold' certain notes, so I can find them.

We all have moments where we get given a song and think, "sh*t, I can't do this!". Take a deep breath and break it down. You'll get there.

Edited by Sharkfinger

Hey,

Remember that you're auditioning them too !

Just cherry pick a few songs that you can play well, and tell them to play along.
You'll soon get a feel if it's the right band for you, and how much you'll be able to get away with later (with the songs you struggle with).

When you're in, avoid the tough songs as long as you can whilst learning a simplified version of them.
Then use you're simplified version, and make the excuses like I've had so many songs to learn just not had time to sit down and bottom this one.
Work out who the laziest member of the band is and buddy up, they'll stick up for you later when you've still not learned that freaky bass line.

Once you're about 80% with the set, the band should ease off with the intense observation and evaluation of you're playing and just get back into doing their own things.

Keep practicing and remember to keep telling the band and yourself 'less is more'.

I've done 3 auditions in the last few months.

First one for a jazz band I was approached about, not my area of preference at all but I thought it'd be worth a shot. It went very badly, I got lost many times and didn't enjoy it at all. I was offered the role and told I did well for a first venture into jazz. I turned it down, as the music wasn't really engaging me, and it was too much 'effort' to learn.

Second was a funk band which I was well prepared for and I think went well, I was turned down as they went for the drummers mate instead (time wasters).

Third was last week, a rock covers band I was prepared for but not fully (learnt 8 of 12 songs). My performance was hit and miss but mostly reasonable. I was turned down, then later offered the role when their 1st choice didn't get back to them.

All in all, what I learnt is it doesn't matter how well you think you will do, it's other people's decisions. Get out there and have some auditions, building confidence won' t happen in the house.

[quote name='CyberBass' timestamp='1453194240' post='2957183']
When playing a cover to you play note for note accuracy or your take of the song?
[/quote]
If the original bassline is one that I particularly like or is key to the song, I'll try to play it faithfully. Otherwise, I'll add or lose bits or just invent stuff.

I've agreed with one band to rehearse next Monday they gave me set list and said pick some tracks and let us know which ones in advance.
[/quote]

That already sounds relaxed and promising.

Chose the three you know best and learn them. Then pick another 6 easy ones and do a rough chart and go over any easy ones so that your could 'get away with playing them'.

Then you can turn up and play the three tunes and if it's working stay form the rest of the rehearsal. They should be quite happy with that.

You can always pick up the phone and asked them whether they stick exactly to the originals. Just don't ask too many questions.

Have fun.

Guest bassman7755

When playing a cover to you play note for note accuracy or your take of the song? Any tips or advice welcome and appreciated.
[/quote]

How close you have to stick to original bass line is really an artistic judgement call. The song has to sound like the song, you have to respect the composition, style and signature bits of it without necessarily playing everything note for note.

Take Sweet Child of Mine as an example, you would be expected to have the intro down note for note because its such an iconic part of the song, but with the exception of the triplet unison bass-guitar-vocal break towards the end, the rest of the song just requires the right groove. In other cases e.g. Black Night you would have to stick 90% to the original line because its all riff based.

If someone is auditioning you then they will usually be OK with you taking a few liberties and making simplifications of non-critical parts of the song but you will be expected to nail the signature riffs and fills (if the song has any). They will be looking out for your ability to recognise the important bits and learn them properly whilst at least getting the groove for the rest of it rather than expecting you to produce a note-perfect rendition. They will be looking for how you sync with the band, how you observe and communicate (eye contact, nods etc) while you are playing, how you take cues from the other players to follow the dynamics such as soft bits and build ups and especially endings. If you mess up during a song then indicate to the band to carry on playing and try to come back in again, ditto if you get caught out because they have changed the arrangement without telling you or even if you just forgot how many times to repeat a certain bit.

Edited by bassman7755

I always learn covers note-for-note, but that's just me it would seem. I find it easy to learn songs by ear anyway which probably helps. As to the whole business of learning songs for an audition, it's the old question: 'How do you eat an elephant?' To which of course the answer is, 'one bit at a time'... ;)

Personally I wouldn't force myself to do something.

If you don't do a good audition, that could really affect your confidence.

If you're not confident, ask yourself why, identify the areas of your playing that you feel are week, work on them, maybe have a few lessons ?

When you're more confident, then start looking for a band.

I get nervous at auditions, but that's natural and welcomed, really. I'd hate to be blasé about them.

Learn the tunes (note-for-note) go along, be nice, play and then leave. If you get in, fantastic, if not....don't immediately blame your bass playing - the person after you might just be a better fit for the band, might like the same football team as the singer or have gone to the same youth fascist group as the drummer.

Focus on doing your best, not about how it'll turn out.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1453202263' post='2957287']
I get nervous at auditions, but that's natural and welcomed, really. I'd hate to be blasé about them. Learn the tunes (note-for-note) go along, be nice, play and then leave. If you get in, fantastic, if not....don't immediately blame your bass playing - the person after you might just be a better fit for the band, might like the same football team as the singer or have gone to the same youth fascist group as the drummer. Focus on doing your best, not about how it'll turn out.
[/quote]

This is all good - to which I would add; only speak when spoken to, keep your opinions to yourself and say as little as possible! 'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool rather than speak out and remove all doubt...' (Abraham Lincoln). :)

If you don't get it don't blame yourself. I always make damn sure that if I don't get an audition it won't have been because I didn't know the material. You can't prepare for unknown political situations within a band, and if that's how it is you're probably better off out if it anyway.

Edited by discreet

I'm a relative youngster in my covers band , the others are late 40's our front man, turned drummer ( due to losing our drummer) Can play all of instruments to a far higher standard than the rest of the band . He's frequently telling me that I don't have to do it perfectly like the original we are looking for the feel of the song , key phrases and the such but there are occasions where i FLAT out don't know a song we are going to learn .

Fortunately modern technology is amazing i;ve got me a subscription to Songster http://www.songsterr.com/a/wa?ref=499253
Which basically does the tascam trainer thing , where you can slow down , loop and basically learn the part ... If songster doesnt have it ...
youtube and spotifiy usually will .

Remember you're auditioning for a covers band ... if you have advertised yourself as the second coming of flea they will expect you to slap ...
Otherwise lay down a solid groove make sure you know the root's for the chords at the very least , lock in with there drummer ... and you'll be fine.
never sacrifice the time-feel to hit a note.

I've agreed with one band to rehearse next Monday they gave me set list and said pick some tracks and let us know which ones in advance..
[/quote]

How do you feel about the songs on the list ? Any you know ? Any you're ruling out ? I can see why you might not want us all to dissect your choices, but how do you feel about what's on offer ?

Hey, and relax...this isn't a bass playing problem (you said you did a tour last year...that takes skill, nerves and bandcraft) it's a nerves problem, so stop doubting your bass playing !

Edited by ahpook

Must admit, I'm kind of in a very similar situation...

Up to around this time last year, I'd not been in a band for about 5 years (and then I was playing guitar). Saw an ad locally looking for a bass player and they mentioned not only were they planning on doing originals, but were also a bunch of forty-somethings. Got in touch, started something up and were getting on great until one guitarist got a new job & had to relocate. Band disintegrated.

I advertised again, got a couple of approaches for covers bands, so went along not knowing how to play the songs fully, apologised in advance & then quickly went through the songs with the guitarist and followed him & the drummer. Wasn't perfect, but must have done something right, as they asked me to join the band at the end of the rehearsal!

Anyway, I've now ended up getting something going with the other guitarist from the first band.

Covers? Learn the basics of the song & interact with the guitars / drums / keys / vocals as you would in any other band situation.

And good luck, hope something suitable comes your way!

When playing a cover to you play note for note accuracy or your take of the song? Any tips or advice welcome and appreciated.
[/quote]

As others have already said, if it is a stand out/important part of the song then make sure you have nailed it. The rest, I'm pretty much on the side of playing something that fits well and feels right, but not getting too wound up about note for note accuracy.

I'm sure I'm not the only bass player who has had the accusing glare followed by "Why weren't you playing in the verse" from a guitarist in Alright Now :D

[quote name='Swarbs' timestamp='1453197294' post='2957217']

Remember that you're auditioning them too !

[/quote]

This

Also , unless you are given specific instructions, just play your best, that may mean working out an exact line, it may mean playing it a little your way, but whatever you do just hold it down.

Don't worry, whats the worst that can happen is its a rubbish band and you've spent an evening out.

Remember they can't play without a bassist :)

I used to play cricket, couldn't bat, couldn't catch and only bowled a reliable medium pace but I joined a mate's team and played for 15 years. We eventually went a couple of seasons without a loss. Other people were the stars but 10 men against 11 and you lose every time. The point is that's what I do in covers bands as a bassist, keep an end going and plug up the holes.

If you can lay down a steady rhythm and remember the chord sequence it won't matter if you play little more than root or root-fifth at first. For a covers band going out and fulfilling gigs is the most important thing in most bands.

I've auditioned a few musicians for our covers band. We either send out the set list and let them choose or send out a list of four or five easy songs but covering our range of styles. You normally only get a week or so notice so you wouldn't expect anyone to have time for preparing more than that. It's pretty obvious from the start if they've put in any effort or are winging it and also if they are nervous. It just shows. Don't spread yourself too thin, four good songs will be better than a dozen poor ones

All you need is a couple of minutes when everyone forgets they are auditioning and just get into a song and it's a good audition. Seeing that you fit in personally and don't have ego problems is probably much more important than messing up a bass fill.

I auditioned with strangers a couple of years ago, god knows why they chose me, they told me after that they had looked at 16 bassists and I cant believe at least 10 of them weren't technically better players than me. I was enthusiastic, made lots of contact with the drummer, followed the singer when she was singing and the guitarist in his solos and rocked out with the rhythm guitarist, that seemed enough.

If the band were looking for something different I doubt if I'd have been happy with them. you'll be fine so long as it's the right band for you.

Good Luck

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1453210104' post='2957402']
All you need is a couple of minutes when everyone forgets they are auditioning and just get into a song and it's a good audition. Seeing that you fit in personally and don't have ego problems is probably much more important than messing up a bass fill.

I auditioned with strangers a couple of years ago, god knows why they chose me, they told me after that they had looked at 16 bassists and I cant believe at least 10 of them weren't technically better players than me. I was enthusiastic, made lots of contact with the drummer, followed the singer when she was singing and the guitarist in his solos and rocked out with the rhythm guitarist, that seemed enough.

If the band were looking for something different I doubt if I'd have been happy with them. you'll be fine so long as it's the right band for you.

Good Luck
[/quote]

This. Well said Sir.

I am sure that personality has far more to do with auditions than playing ability , unless of course a level of virtuosity is needed.
Half the time the rest of the band don't have a clue what you play anyway, and as long as nothing stands out as obviously really bad , it wouldn't score against you.

I had a first gig with one band where a guitarist had to sit out as he was barred from the venue , so he sat in on a rehearsal and said he was surprised at the input I had , he always assumed the bass was fine but never listened to it

I guess if I were auditioning for a tribute band I would want to learn the basslines note for note, for a covers band it is always going to be a compromise, learn the song so you can jam along confidently to it, turn up to the audition and see how they play it, you can add and take away as needed....remember all covers bands are going to be a compromise of sorts, they will all be learning and trying to play the famous radio friendly versions of most of the songs which will usually mean they are full of overdubs and embellishments that you cannot hope to fully replicate live.

Learn the songs to a jam-able standard, turn up, play with confidence and enjoy it, if you know you can play then it is the latter two that will get you the gig

Some basslines need to be close to the original, and some can be just the gist. I would always pick a few to get close and get the others to the basic idea.
But it really depends on the group, it should be hard enough to make it worth doing but not hard enough to make you lose sleep!